Willie and Joe

In my WW2 lirary I have several of Mauldins books. I liked him so much I had T shirts made with 4 cartoons in a block on the front of them.Unforunately few knew him like we did.

Bill made us laugh at our miserable conditions. Good thing cause if we did not laugh we,d gripe

Do you still have the t-shirts Paul? That was a great idea. You probably got a lot of comments.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I copied this from Al Panebianco's site (45th Inf Div). It was regarding a visit with Bill.

http://www.45thinfantrydivision.com/

-----

A VISIT WITH BILL MAULDIN

My good friend, George Courlas who served with Company “Gâ€, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division, during WWII visited Bill Mauldin, 24 September 2002. George was the recipient of three Purple Hearts. Following is a report of his visit with the greatest cartoonist of WWII.

After much communication with Mr. Gordon Dillow, Editor of the Orange County Register….it was mostly through the internet, I was given permission and encouragement to visit Mr. Mauldin at the convalescent home in Newport Beach, California.

For many of you, Newport Beach is a well to-do town just south of Edison Field in Anaheim where the Angels baseball team will challenge the San Francisco Giants in the current World Series.

I drove to Newport Beach, which is about 40 miles from my residence in Glendale, California and was welcomed by the head nurse at the convalescent home. I had my 157th Infantry Regiment hat on, because Mr. Gordon Dillow had previously warned me that any clothing or insignia might bring a smile to Mr. Mauldin.

Mr. Bill Mauldin was bedridden and was sleeping but I nudged him a bit and started to talk about my exploits during WWII in Anzio, Italy. It woke him a bit and he winked at me or perhaps it was my hat….the hat had the insignia of the Thunderbird.

I did most of the talking as Mr. Mauldin was a bit groggy so it seems. He looks good….has a full head of hair and rather big when compared to his days in WWII, when he was with the Thunderbird publication. It is my understanding that Bill Mauldin was a member of the 157th Infantry Regiment early during his career in the military. I also understand that Bill was a member of Company I early on.

During the Anzio campaign, it was announced that Mr. Mauldin was promoted to the Stars and Stripes wherein he left the division for a level above that.

Mr. Mauldin looks good and healthy. His condition, I am not allowed to say. He is about 83/84 years old, I understand. I stayed about 15 minutes visiting. He does not speak or rather that day, he was not in a speaking mood.

I hope to visit him again and soon. The location of his convalescent home is not too far and is not out of the way for me, as I am a frequent freeway participant in that area.

When I plan the next visit, I will give you my report. I understand from Mr. Gordon Dillow, the Editor who is coordinating all visits that Mr. Mauldin has many relatives and they have requested that all mention of his physical condition be kept under “wrapsâ€. It is a condition that is somewhat common among the older population.

The home in Newport Beach is most appreciative of visitations to his room even conversation is sometimes at a minimum. They, the staff feel it does him good to have visitors, especially those of us who served in the same Division and Regiment

George Courlas

Biggeo_1@Yahoo.com

NOTE: Please click on Links and then the Bill Mauldin Link. Read about Friends of Willie and Joe and the only WWII U.S. Living History Group officially sponsored by Bill Mauldin. Also, there is an Update on Bill Mauldin’s Health by Gordon Dillow, Reporter for the Orange Register. Do not forget to send an email, card, or letter to Bill Mauldin via Gordon Dillow. Bill will definitely appreciate hearing from you.

My sincere thanks and best wishes.

Al Panebianco

Marion J Chard

Marion; there is one that Bill Mauldin made when the 34th divn reached

600 days of combat. I do remember seeing it when I was a bit younger. RJR

Okay, if one of us (or anyone else) runs across it, please post it here for all of us. Thanks Rocky. ;)

Marion J Chard

I hardly can enlarge the cartoons . So I cannot read the subscriptions . ...

I went back and wrote in all the captions. :pdt34: Do I get "brownie points"? :D

Marion J Chard

Gilles sent me this one.

post-19-1148641985_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   mauldin2.jpg (Size: 118.71 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

OPeration Dragoon: Between 15 Aug. and 15 Sep 44 7th Army did a fast run up the Rhone valley. Using every thing available(captuered vehisles).It looked like a Gypsy caravan for some units. I had the honor of riding the front fender of a 6x6 for several days.

I learned from that experience that the driver had an angle iiron manifold heater just right for c-ration cans. with room for about 6 cans on the heater. He used 2 cans one inverted and pushed togerher to heat HIS water for instannt coffee. YOu had to plan ahead for the next meal stop but it worked.

NOw multiply joe and willie by a truck load of GIs. and Imagine a chow stop.

Love it Paul. I CAN picture it my dear friend. Gotta hand it to you guys. Give them a BIG "I" for INGENUITY!!!!!! :pdt34::pdt34:

Marion J Chard