Lt Booth's missing P-47

My buddy Gérome Villain, sent this to me. It is the story of the search for Lt Booth's missing P-47 in Vosges, France.

Merci, Gérome!

2nd_report_Lt_Booth__s_aircraft.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   2nd_report_Lt_Booth__s_aircraft.pdf (Size: 901.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

A letter from my friend Gerome Villain:

Hello My Friends,

Yesterday was an emotional day.... It was the day, where we honored Lt Booth at Faymont, in the edge of the woods where he crashed down his plane on the 27 october 1944. As you know, after several months of reseaches and with the help of so many good men from the Vosges, the Haute Saone area and our American friends, we definitively found what happened to our 1st Lt and by the way found the zone of the crash. It was for me a very good experience, something that I won't forget !!

Lt Robert Booth, from the 405th Fighter Group had the mission with other planes to drop supplies over the Lost battlion, but because of a very bad weather and flying down in the valley, the leader of the mission ordered them to fly over the mountains immediately, but Lt Booth didn't accomplish it rapidely and his plane hit a tree and crashed down his plane in the mountains, at Faymont - south of Remiremont...... and died.....

68 years later, People from le Val d'Ajol and Faymont wanted to honor Lt Booth, and it was this last Sunday. Jocelyne Papelard invited the color guard based in Germany and also invitated the 85th band Army from Chicago for the commemorations. M Jean Bianchetti, who donated the rock of the memorial in the forest of Biffontaine, also gave the rock to build this new memorial. Mayor Denis Henry and President of the association of La borne 6 were also invited to the ceremony. Jocelyne invited the American Consul of Strasbourg.

Yesterday was rainy, foggy like on the 27 october, but that was not enought to stop the people of the area to celebrate the memorial, it was a wonderful day !

I send you some pictures of the ceremony, the memorial is beautiful !!!

I wish you a nice day,

Take care,

Gerome

Marion J Chard

Gerome also sent some photos.

Attached Files
.jpg   A lot of People.JPG (Size: 192.07 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   A part of the team who researched the crash zone.JPG (Size: 299.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   At the city hall - Val D'Ajol.JPG (Size: 100.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Color Guard and 85th Band - Chicago.JPG (Size: 236.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Color Guard.JPG (Size: 238.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Denis Henry and M and Miss Jean Bianchetti.JPG (Size: 96.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Jocelyne papelard - Organisation.JPG (Size: 239.72 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Lt booth Memorial.JPG (Size: 349.6 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   M Prieur and the American Consult.JPG (Size: 106.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Madame Joséphine - who gave the wheel.JPG (Size: 129.81 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Reenactors.JPG (Size: 255.77 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   The Memorial.JPG (Size: 224.31 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   VIP.JPG (Size: 226.15 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

I merged the original letter/post from Gerome with the one I posted today. I had forgotten about the older post 2009. I'm glad I can do this, for it pulls everything together in one spot.

Marion J Chard