John Denapoli - 135th Combat Engineer

i am the niece of john denapoli who was in the 135 army combat engineers building bridges on the Rhine. my father Joseph denapoli was in the navy in the pacific arena as a gyro compas engineer. last year i bought my dad a hat that had his ship on it, and showing it to his brother, my uncle johnny responded that we wouldn't find that sort of thing for the army. he likes to tell stories of how he was sleeping on the ground and eating rations while his younger brother was sleeping in a cot and eating hot meals.

i took up his challenge to find something about the 135th. if you know anyone who prints up hats with the army units on them, it would bring some joy to a 91 year old man.

thank you,

jo-lynne denapoli

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi:

Let's see what we can do.

I only have a black and white image of his crest, but will write to my friends at the Office of History (Army Corps of Engineers) and see if we can come up with something.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for joining our forum.

Marion

Marion J Chard

Hi,

My name is Jim Klenoski from FT.Wayne, Indiana. I am trying to find info on the 135th combat engineers of which my Father was part of. His name was Floyd J. Klenoski(Boxcar). If you can be any assistance it would be appreciated.

My best advice is to contact any or all of the following:

The Army Corps of Engineer's Office of History

NARA in Maryland

Richard Horrell of WW2 Connections

The info for the above can be found in our RESEARCH section:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...hp?showtopic=23

Let me know what you find out. I'd like to see for myself.

The best to you.

Marion J Chard

i am the niece of john denapoli who was in the 135 army combat engineers building bridges on the Rhine. my father Joseph denapoli was in the navy in the pacific arena as a gyro compas engineer. last year i bought my dad a hat that had his ship on it, and showing it to his brother, my uncle johnny responded that we wouldn't find that sort of thing for the army. he likes to tell stories of how he was sleeping on the ground and eating rations while his younger brother was sleeping in a cot and eating hot meals.

i took up his challenge to find something about the 135th. if you know anyone who prints up hats with the army units on them, it would bring some joy to a 91 year old man.

thank you,

jo-lynne denapoli

M father was in the 135th Combat Engineer Battalion. I have found a great deal of information that I received about 9 years ago on the battalion. My father was in Company C. The battalion was sent to Trinidad before being sent to England and on to France, where it was attached to the Third Army. My dad passed away in 1999, but I would love to know if your dad knew him.

Alice Presson

Welcome Alice. I hope you are able to get in touch with her. You can also click on her underlined user name and send a personal message. Please let me know what results. Sure would love to see what you have.

Smiles and happy thanksgiving,

M1

Marion J Chard

<!--quoteo(post=25307:date=Jun 8 2009, 11:07 AM:name=Walt's Daughter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Walt's Daughter @ Jun 8 2009, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=25307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>i am the niece of john denapoli who was in the 135 army combat engineers building bridges on the Rhine. my father Joseph denapoli was in the navy in the pacific arena as a gyro compas engineer. last year i bought my dad a hat that had his ship on it, and showing it to his brother, my uncle johnny responded that we wouldn't find that sort of thing for the army. he likes to tell stories of how he was sleeping on the ground and eating rations while his younger brother was sleeping in a cot and eating hot meals.

thank you,

jo-lynne denapoli</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

M father was in the 135th Combat Engineer Battalion. I have found a great deal of information that I received about 9 years ago on the battalion. My father was in Company C. The battalion was sent to Trinidad before being sent to England and on to France, where it was attached to the Third Army. My dad passed away in 1999, but I would love to know if your dad knew him.

Alice Presson

oh alice, i am so sorry i did not check back into this forum. my uncle passed away in january. although his body failed him, his mind was sharp until the day he died. if he was with your father i have no doubt that he would have remembered him. i have been cleaning out his house, and i found some letters from the 135th combat association from the early 80's and i was just looking to see if it was still around, googling it i came back here.

i have found many pictures from the 135th, if you have any interest in looking through them for your dad, let me know and i can do my best to scan a few in. please send me an email, since i do not keep up with this forum.

if there is anyone else searching for the 135th combat engineer's and end up here. i regret to say my uncle, john denapoli passed away january 28th, at the age of 93. he was very proud of serving his country in world war two, and told us many stories that we will always treasure. in addition to pictures, i have recently found many of the letters my uncle wrote to my father during the war. he is very descriptive of the war and his part of it. i have only read a few of the letters, (they were amongst all of the letters my father received during the war...people wrote much more back then...) but i have really enjoyed reading them. on my list of things to do is to compile them for family and friends. if anyone is interested in one man's account of the war as written to his younger brother, let me know. it may be the motivation i need to get it together.

jo-lynne

We would love to see the pictures, letters, and other info, so if you would be so kind to share with all of us, it would help all those involved in this topic and also anyone in the future.

Many thanks!

BTW, so sorry to hear of his passing. Glad he was able to share his memories with you.

Marion J Chard

Hello All,

This thread has been inactive for quite some time. I am looking for any information that I can find regarding the 135th. I would be most appreciative if you would share what you have learned (photos, timelines, etc).

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,257 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,190 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 11,889 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 19,846 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,447 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,739 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  1111th Engineer Combat Group Walt's Daughter 4 9,191 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  Book showing Photographs of work of the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion brian m 20 19,945 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SEH
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,386 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  207th Engineer Combat Battalion Jacques 20 22,186 12-01-2017, 07:33 AM