Found my fathers medals

This has been a big question on a lot of military forums. One guy wrote:

Trying to list some typical terminology found on DD214's. Once we get all this down, I am going to post all the info and "pin it", so it will be readily available for all to see.

AUS-Army of the United States

ERC-Enlisted Reserve Corp

Reason for Authority for Separation-Rel to ERC SR means Relieved from active duty to Enlisted Reserve Corp. SR means Special Regulation

More to come. Gotta get back to bed and get some sleep... :groan:

My DD-214 don't got the two you mention. rocky

Here's a site dedicated to the DD214

http://dd214.us

For a list of the "spin codes" click on this direct link:

http://dd214.us/reference/SPN_Codes.pdf

I am going to place this info in our research section right now...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Ok, here`s the official scoop on the shoulder patch from the Army Institute of Heraldry

The Institute of Heraldry Home Page

1st Engineer Brigade Insignia Page

post-304-1247837288_thumb.jpg

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Description: On a blue rectangular background with a rounded top, 3 1/8 inches (7.94 cm) in width and 3 1/4 inches (8.26 cm) in height, a modern anchor palewise behind a sub-machine gun fesswise on which is perched an eagle with wings displayed and inverted all in golden yellow.

Symbolism: The design was based on the design of the British Combined Operations patch which was worn by commandos, landing craft personnel, and others.

Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Engineer Amphibian Units on 17 June 1942. It was redesignated for all Army personnel assigned to the following amphibian units: Amphibian Tank Battalions; Amphibian Tractor Battalions; Engineer Amphibian Units; Joint Assault Signal Companies; Headquarters Ships Detachments (Type A); Headquarters Ships Detachment (Type B ); Headquarters Section (Army); and Amphibian Training Command - Pacific Fleet on 10 June 1944. The insignia was redesignated for the 1st Engineer Brigade and amended to update the description and add a symbolism on 20 July 2007. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-263)

Attached Files
.jpg   1EngrBdeSSI.jpg (Size: 15.97 KB / Downloads: 0)

The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Engineer Amphibian Units

That is absolutely correct. It's just a generalized engineer amphibian patch. It is NOT a unit patch.

Many people write to me and say "this was my dad's bn (or regimental) patch." I write and give them the above info. Sorry you still have to dig for their UNIT patch, I explain...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"