looking for a Bergen-Belsen survivor

I have been writing to a British WWII Veteran for nearly 3 years. Eric was a member of the 11th Armoured Div, 8th Rifle Brigade and helped liberate the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. Eric is 84 now and still remembers it like it was yesterday.

He lives with deep regret that they did not arrive in time to save everyone. He writes about how horrible the conditions were when he arrived. It just broke his heart when he learned about Anne Frank. In his last letter which I received yesterday, he said that he feels like he and his mates have been forgotten. I would dearly love to contact a Bergen-Belsen survivor and see if I can get a letter or statement describing what they remember about liberation day and give it to him. I will be meeting him for the first time in a little over a month.

Please, if you know of anyone who could help me please let me know.

Maybe you can try to contact the Jewish organization (Simon Wiesenthal or similar) regarding this?

Tell them what you told us here and maybe they can help you?

Just a hint.

Erwin

I sent a few emails last night to a couple Holocaust survivor sites and also to the West Virginia Jewish History site.

I will search for more today.

Coincidentally, I have to speak to the one of the directors of the Holocaust Museum today (they have a museum shop and process credit cards through us).

I'll see if he can help to get a Bergen-Belsen survivor contact for Eric.

m2

super, thanks!!

Am sending you to my friend Russ W, the WWII vet, who is the vice-chairman for the holocaust commission in Georgia. Will send his email addy to you in a few minutes.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Got it!!

Brooke

Brooke,

Here's another contact if still needed - Jerry (the director of retail ops for the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC) gave me contact info for someone at the "World Federation of Bergen Belsen Survivors". Her name is Gloria Golan email ggolan@aol.com phone 212-339-6034. This woman is a book publisher of Holocaust books - especially about Bergen Belsen & would be able to locate survivors for Eric to contact.

m2

Great!! I'll send off an email this evening.

So far I have not been able to contact anyone. I've emailed but no one has been able to help.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again :D