two more 540th family members

Found two more (or I should say they found me), family members of the 540th, who signed my guestbook. Both sons of fathers who were officers.

I found the respective photos in my Overseas with the 540th book.

--------------------------------

My father was a 1st. Lt. in the 540th, His name was Thomas Ecclesine I have some photos, a book of the 540th in Europe and many letters to my mother. I also have a tissue paper map he drew which shows allied positions in preparation for a river crossing. If you would like more information please feel free to email me or call.

Bill Ecclesine

--------------------------------

Wonderful site. Thanks for setting it up and running it. I am the son of the late Col. Robert D Stephens from Enid, OK who was a combat engineer in the 540th for the entire duration of WWII -- participating in the landings (I believe) in Ft Lyautey, Morocco, Sicily, Anzio, Southern France, the Rhine Crossing and occupation. My father had many incredible stories about his experiences. A few of my favorite stories are: 1. A wonderful letter he wrote to his parents (published in the local paper) telling them about his experiences when he was suddenly detailed to be part of the security detail for FDR during the Casablanca and Teheran conferences. He said he learned to eat really fast because he was usually the last served at elaborate meals where the big guys were meeting/eating. He wrapped up the letter with something to the effect, that he wished his pals could have been there for they would know we are led by good men and fighting for a good cause (will try to post the letter on the website). He also told me he had a run in with one of FDR's sons (a General?) who wanted to get into FDR's car while he waited for the president (it was a bitterly cold day). My dad told him he would not be allowed to enter the car for it was designated for someone else. FDR's son blew his stack and yelled my dad asking if he did not recognize him. My dad said yes, but would not allow anyone to enter the car until the designated person showed up. 2. He also claims he and 11 other engineers were the first US soldiers, trained by the Brits in North Africa, to be mine/demolition experts (his CV said he was the senior Mine Warfare Engineer in the Mediterranean Theatre) and these in turn trained hundreds of others. As a kid my dad would often use cocktail napkins to draw schematics of German mines and how he and his pals would develop a countermeasure and then the German would introduce additional changes and a never-ending war. Does anybody know if the 540th indeed was one of the first trained in mine warfare? 3. My dad told me that during the crossing of the Rhine he was put in charge of testing the "Ducks" -- which he said no one knew exactly how to operate. He put one of his men into the Duck and he drove it into the river and it immediately sunk because they failed to put in the "plug." I have pictures of this incident which are fairly funny with the last shot being a soldier swimming out of the sinking Duck. My dad kept load of records and materials, including more than 100 letters from this period of time. I wlll try to share some of these with this website.

Rob Stephens

post-2-1244410833_thumb.jpg

post-2-1244410980_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   officers2832nd.jpg (Size: 361.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Officers2833rd.jpg (Size: 200.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for members of the 297th Combat Engineers in WWII kevin.meehan 4 5,008 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Looking for other Members of 540th E Company jjdhwy61 1 2,525 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
  Looking for members - 1321st Engineers WWII Walt's Daughter 3 5,616 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM