Robert Bohman - 87th Inf

This is a veteran friend of Jim Hennessey, who is feeling pretty down. Jim thought it would be nice if some of us wrote to him, to try and cheer him up a bit. This is Jim's letter to his friend. I am including his mailing address too.

============

My Comrade In Arms

I hear you are not feeling that great. You know as a car gets older some parts wear out,if you can't get the exact part you have to improvise. Being your age I know what this means, but being our age I know God will fix the problem. I always felt God assigned me to the 87th, for I was lucky to be with men like yourself, for we fought strong and came home safe, that was a blessing in itself. What I mean to say whatever the enemy threw at us, God seen us through. In your time of ailments I want you to know you have God, Family, and devoted comrades along side of you.

Like the Acorn be Strong.

Yours In Eternal Comradeship

Jim Hennessey-E-345-87th

Enjoying Your Freedom

Thank A Veteran

Time Flys--Infantryman Walk

Yesterday Is Gone-Today Is Your

Tomorrow-Smile-Be Happy

================

Here is Bob's daughter's letter to Jim:

Hi Jim:

Sorry I haven't written sooner, time is my worst enemy lately.

I read your letter to Dad, and he was so touched by your words, he had me put it up on his bulletin board, along with the picture of you and your wife, and he tells everyone about it and invites them to read it.

Dad is adjusting to life at the Nursing Home, knowing that Dad had attended daily Mass, and lead the Rosary everyday, they have asked him to lead the Rosary there at the Home, so he does everyday at 1pm. He has a hard time walking, and is in the wheelchair most of the time.

Today he said that he is very lonely, so I'm going to ask you once again, for a favor, if I gave you Dad's address, would you mind sending him a note? I am trying to get his address out to people other than family, so he gets cards from alot of different places, I think that it would be fun for him to see where they all come from.

You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

I try to spend as much time as I can with Dad, and it gets harder each time to leave.

Thank you for all you do, and for being such a good friend.

God Bless you!!

Karen

Thank-you so much!!

Dad will be so surprised to hear from you.

Robert Bohman

Golden Living Center

600 E. Elm St. Rm. 209

Abbotsford WI 54615

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Just sent out a card and a couple of photos; one of my dad and his buddy and one of me at the reunion with two of my 36th buddies!

Marion J Chard

Hi Jim

I spent the day with Dad today, he was so happy to hear about getting cards in the mail, he is ever so greatful to you for your kindness, and guess what? While I was talking with him about it, your card came!! Dad said "put that up on my board, so everyone can see it" He was so happy to get the Acorn patch too, I had to put it on the board with the card.

Oh Jim, you will never know how much of a God send you are!! We are all so greatful for all you have done to help keep Dad in good spirits.

May God continue to bless you, I will remember you always in my prayers of thanksgiving.

Happiness Always

Karen

Marion J Chard

To all my friends and Comrades In

Arms,who sent Bob a letter.

I want to express my gratitude

as we don't allow a comrade

to bear any weight on his shoulders

alone. Thank You Very Much.

Invictus

Jim Hennessey-87th-Inf.Div.

You are quite welcome, and quite correct; we take care of our own. hooah!

Let's make sure we don't just do this once, but keep the letters coming. :clappin:

Marion J Chard

sad news arrived this morning...

This was sent to Jim:

Dear Jim,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to tell you that Dad is nearing the end of his life with us.

He became very sick this past week, the people at the Nursing Home thought that it was the flu, but as things progressed, he got very weak. He was sent by ambulance to St. Josephs' Hospital in Marshfield, and it was there that blood tests showed that his kidneys have failed. The Doctors are trying every measure they can to revive them, and so far nothing has worked. Tomorrow (Monday) they will try dialysis, if that shows no indication of improvement, then Dad has instructed them to just let him go.

Dad is at peace with his decision, and has told us all he is ready to go. The most wonderful blessing is that he has no pain, at one point, when he was awake, he told my brother

"I feel good, for a guy that's dying". When asked if he needs anything, or wants us to do anything, he just says "pray".

Dad talked to me about you, and how wonderful a person you are to have gotten his name out to others to send him cards, he did get more this past week, and told me to put them in our scrapbook. He wanted me to let you know that he is very grateful to you, even though you have never met, he feels he knows you, as a "an old friend".

I will keep in touch with you as things progress, please will you let Frank know what is going on, I have been in contact with him, and still want to get Dads story out to him, when time permits.

Take Care Now

God Bless you

Karen

Karen you and your father are in our prayers. Marion

Marion J Chard

Hi Jim

Thought I would let you know that Dad past away today at

10:30am. He died a very peaceful and quiet death. There was no suffering, it was a massive a quick hear attack.

Dad never suffered with pain,, as I told you before, he was blessed with a peaceful and holy death,. something he told us as kids, that we should always pray for.

Please keep us in your prayers, thank-you for all you have done for us, and Dad.

Sincerely

Karen

===

Karen-Family

My deepest sympathy for your loss

of your beloved Dad. I thank you for the opportunity to give your Dad some light moments in hours of sickness. We 87th men always had something in common.

In the time of need we were always there for each other. Your dad was 87th so I know he is in Heaven right now,showing all his 87th buddies,his Golden Acorn

patch.. God will then know your Dad was a real good person. In the future if you ever need me,I'll be there for you.

Stalwart And Strong

Jim Hennessey-87th Inf. Div.

Dear Karen and family (and Jim):

So sorry to hear about this, but as you stated, he went peacefully, the way he wanted. That would be my wish for everyone, when their time arrives. My condolences to you.

Warmly,

Marion

Marion J Chard

OBIT supplied by his daughter:

http://www.marshfieldnewsherald.com/articl.../903050512/1738

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell - John McAuliffe - 87th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,381 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Bill Jasper - 87th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,202 01-15-2016, 04:10 AM
  Happy Birthday Jim Hennessey -87th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 3 4,520 11-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell Mitch Kaidy - 87th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,246 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
  Farewell Reese Arnold “Blues” Brantner - 87th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,676 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
  Carl (Bud) Black)87th Inf.Div. Emerson_Bigguns 5 6,604 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
  Farewell Robert J. “Bob” Sommer - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,312 03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
  Farewell Robert M. Murphy - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 0 5,335 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM
  Farewell Robert G Breitbach 540th CE Walt's Daughter 2 3,967 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Last Post: parker