Capt O'Brien in Iraq part II

As you stated, it sure isn't home and sure isn't luxurious, but beats the hell out of past alternatives. That's for sure!

I read the accompanying link and had to include this here:

In 2008, a member of the Special Forces wrote a note on the door of a MRAP. The note reads "This truck saved my life as well as 5 others on 02 Apr 08 at 2300 in Basrah, IZ."

That wraps it up nicely in a nutshell!

If you run out of reading material, I will issue a library card from my private collection. Just yesterday received a few thousand pages (two books) from my friend, Hugh Ames, 82nd Airborne. Nice presents indeed. He wanted to thank me for working on his website.

All the Way to Berlin - James Megellas (82nd Airborne's most decorated officer)

and

All American - All the Way - Phil Nordyke

I also bought Builders and Fighters - US Army Engineers in World War II - general editor, Barry W Fowle

So...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

God Speed Capt. May HE bewith you during your tour.

One good thing is, you won't have to worry about, being

on the lookout for U-boats. Those are nice pics. you posted.

Keep us posted and before you know it, you will be back in

the good ole U S of A. Think of me when you you are having S.O.S.

ole doggie

Here are some new pictures of me here in Iraq. If tere was something else to take pictures around here I would post them, but now that you've seen the Burger King, you've just about seen it all.

As Thoreau wrote in Walden, "I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well." Same goes for pictures, yes?

post-449-1235801287_thumb.jpg

This is me in a sandstorm yesterday. It actually got darker and oranger as the day went on.

post-449-1235801215_thumb.jpg

Here's me enjoying a stogie with some of the fellows.

Attached Files
.jpg   CigTodd.JPG (Size: 92.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Sand_Storm.JPG (Size: 137.16 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Well I can't speak for the gentlemen of the forum, but I think I can speak for Vee, Darlene, and the other lovely ladies of the board, and say; keep those photos coming! :clappin2: We love 'em!

I am sending greetings this morning from Gettysburg. Getting ready to take a self-tour. You get a CD which you play in the car while touring the battlefield. Cool! That's very good this morning, for it is pretty damn chilly out. The weather so far has been great, but there's a nip in the air today! Brrrr!

But, I will take our weather over YOUR weather, this morning. Sepia-tone photos are one thing; orange skies and wind storms, quite another! :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here are some new pictures of me here in Iraq. If tere was something else to take pictures around here I would post them, but now that you've seen the Burger King, you've just about seen it all.

As Thoreau wrote in Walden, "I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well." Same goes for pictures, yes?

post-449-1235801287_thumb.jpg

This is me in a sandstorm yesterday. It actually got darker and oranger as the day went on.

post-449-1235801215_thumb.jpg

Here's me enjoying a stogie with some of the fellows.

cAPT. I REMEMBER MY FIRST STOGIE, WINTER OF '43, MOUNTAINS OF ITALY, RIDING IN A JEEP

WINDSHIELD DOWN AND MY BUDDY SAW THAT MY FACE WAS WHITE INSTEAD OF BROWN. HE STOPPED

THE JEEP LIT A CIGAR AND SAID PUT IT IN CENTER OF YOUR MOUTH---BUT-- DON'T INHALE!!

WRONG, I DID AND I LIKE THE TASTE OF SMOKE AND THAT'W WHAT STARTED ME SMOKING.

QUIT IN '85. FEEL GOOD. JUST AN OLD DOGFACE. ROCKY

Ahhh there is something about a man in uniform to take the chill off a cold day in New England. I'm glad to see that you look well.

M-1 continues to torment me with reminders that she is in Gettysburg. Next she'll say that she ate at The Dobbin House or the Cashtown Inn and then post a picture of the Irish Brigade monument and I'll be forced to sic the weiner dogs on her....Of the 25 or so times I've been to Gettysburg, I've never been there in the winter...

Well here is some good news. I have seven days and counting before I start my rotation back to the States. We found out a little while back that my new job will be in Albany, GA (there is a Marine Corps Logistics base there) and I need to show up before the end of July. So what that means is that I am being sent back in order to set up the move (done), check out of II MEF, and transplant. No I didn't ask for Albany, nor did I expect it, but that's the where the MC saw fit to send me. As for why they think its so important they have to send me back even though I am here and willing, I don't know. The ways of HQ are strange. I guess it makes sense to someone. Unfortunately, there is no eager beaver captain coming out to replace me, so those left in IT section out here are going to have to surf Wikipedia for WWII related topics on their own.;)

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Well here is some good news. I have seven days and counting before I start my rotation back to the States. We found out a little while back that my new job will be in Albany, GA (there is a Marine Corps Logistics base there) and I need to show up before the end of July. So what that means is that I am being sent back in order to set up the move (done), check out of II MEF, and transplant. No I didn't ask for Albany, nor did I expect it, but that's the where the MC saw fit to send me. As for why they think its so important they have to send me back even though I am here and willing, I don't know. The ways of HQ are strange. I guess it makes sense to someone. Unfortunately, there is no eager beaver captain coming out to replace me, so those left in IT section out here are going to have to surf Wikipedia for WWII related topics on their own.;)

Capt.0-I am happy for you,because it means the higher brass has bigger

things for you to do. So just hang tough and go with the flow. Albany, Ga.

I will check with my Grandson, he's Desert Storm ex Marine. Lives around

there somewhere. Again Congrats. bigger and better things await you.

thisoledoggiesaidit.------ :armata_PDT_37:

Congrats Capt.Todd :armata_PDT_37:

I am happy for you !!

Vee :drinkin:

Vee,

I don't want to make you jealous BUT- he IS moving closer to M1 now....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hero's unwelcome Wounded Iraq vet jeered... Walt's Daughter 4 5,628 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Clementine
  The 36th is coming home from Iraq Walt's Daughter 1 3,554 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Navy SEAL cleared in Iraq abuse case Walt's Daughter 0 2,685 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Iraq Combat Footage: Look for America; Vietnam & World War 2 sixgun 0 3,026 08-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  U.S. Forces in Iraq Pay Tribute to Bataan Death March Victims Walt's Daughter 1 3,920 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  34th in Iraq CaptO 2 4,528 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
  Officials Announce Upcoming Iraq, Afghanistan Deployments Walt's Daughter 0 2,618 03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
  Rugged in Iraq Walt's Daughter 0 2,813 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
  Capt Todd in Iraq CaptO 29 28,193 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Last Post: janis337
  Marine Engineers in Iraq CaptO 0 2,985 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Last Post: CaptO