Capt O'Brien in Iraq part II

Well folks,

Tomorrow I leave for Iraq. Just a few last minute packing things to go. We will fly from Cherry Point, NC to Ireland for a layover (!) and then on to Kuwait. From Kuwait to Al Asad. The good news is that I will get all of January tax free because I will make it to Kuwait before Feb 1.

Thanks to all those who have sent me there well wishes; thankfully I will only be in country for about 4 months. I have apparently been in Camp Lejeune for so long that they are bring me back in June to go to a new job/duty station.

I will keep everyone updated as to the goings on over here and post a lot of pictures.

By the way, if no one answers the movie I posted, it's over to Vee!

Capt Todd

Our very best wishes & prayers follow right along with you Captain Todd!

A "lay over" in Ireland! make sure to tip your hat to all your O'Brien ancestors - especially in Co Clare (the great Clan O'Brien stronghold).

I hope you at least will have time for a Guinness!

oorah!

mary ann

Todd :heartpump:

I will await your news impatiently and from France you will always be in my thoughts and prayer .

I hope that you will have a good flight and that all will go well there low!!

With all my affection

Vee :love7:

With tons of love and best wishes. Godspeed, soldier.

Will look forward to your posts and emails. I hope the days pass quickly for you, so you can come home and be re-united with your family.

From all of us, to you!

:huggybears::14_2_108::14_1_104::14_2_107::14_1_107v:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

YES CAPT. OBRIEN, GODSPEED AND MAY HE WATCH OVER YOU.

Stopover in Ireland,huh. Maybe same place the 34th Divn. went and

prepared for No. Africa. Roque

Stopover in Ireland,huh. Maybe same place the 34th Divn. went and

prepared for No. Africa. Roque

Well, I'll read all about it in DFWSTT (Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears for the uninitiated). I'm bringing it with me. I'm not going to be able to smuze with the local ladies like you did every night, however!! ;)

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Well, I'll read all about it in DFWSTT (Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears for the uninitiated). I'm bringing it with me. I'm not going to be able to smuze with the local ladies like you did every night, however!! ;)

It's tough when a married guy goes yonder and

not 20 yrs. old. I'm happy that you are taking the

book with you. Rocky.

It's tough when a married guy goes yonder and

not 20 yrs. old. I'm happy that you are taking the

book with you. Rocky.

Rocky,

I have no doubt that you can still get into trouble if left to your own devices.....You give me hope....

Rocky,

I have no doubt that you can still get into trouble if left to your own devices.....You give me hope....

HOPE? hmm----just, a hot tomale. rocky-- :bluejumper:

Some of you have seen these before, but I wanted share for the group some pictures from Iraq. I was waiting until I was able to load them up to Picasa and just add the links here.

Here's me at Camp Virgina, Ku. I had been there in 04 but it was "Camp Victory" at the time.

100_0213.JPG

Here are my living quarters at Al Asad. They are appropriately called "Cans" - the walls seperating the three rooms in the one bigger unit must be made out of aluminum. You can hear the guy in the next room breathing at night. Last time I was in a squad sized tent for 8 months so no complaints here. Rocky, sure beats a mud whole, yes? I remember those days when I was in artillery.

100_0214.JPG

Outside

100_0222.JPG

Inside (I didn't bother to clean up.)

The base mosque (off limits)

100_0227.JPG

Another view

100_0249.JPG

Need any more proof men run Islamic society?

100_0228.JPG

One of the MRAP vehicles

100_0241.JPG

The Cinnabun (yes, Cinnabun) and BK.

100_0217.JPG

And if you are saying to yourself, "Well jeez! It's so sad they can't have pizza and fried chicken, too!" don't worry. . .

100_0218.JPG

And finally, this is a bunker and the basketball court (just past it in the flood lights) at night in a sand storm.

100_0246.JPG

I'll have more later. Signing off from Iraq. . . .

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hero's unwelcome Wounded Iraq vet jeered... Walt's Daughter 4 5,626 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Clementine
  The 36th is coming home from Iraq Walt's Daughter 1 3,553 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Navy SEAL cleared in Iraq abuse case Walt's Daughter 0 2,684 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Iraq Combat Footage: Look for America; Vietnam & World War 2 sixgun 0 3,026 08-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  U.S. Forces in Iraq Pay Tribute to Bataan Death March Victims Walt's Daughter 1 3,919 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  34th in Iraq CaptO 2 4,526 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
  Officials Announce Upcoming Iraq, Afghanistan Deployments Walt's Daughter 0 2,616 03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
  Rugged in Iraq Walt's Daughter 0 2,812 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
  Capt Todd in Iraq CaptO 29 28,186 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Last Post: janis337
  Marine Engineers in Iraq CaptO 0 2,984 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Last Post: CaptO