Berchtesgaden - The Eagles Nest

Joe, I just wnated to thank you for such a warm invitation and one that I will be taking you up on very soon. The things you remember are the very things I was talking about. Talk to you soon and thanks agian.

Ron

Gentlemen, in case you haven't seen the post regarding The Biggest Brother, please read this:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=1519

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Too cool. Thanks to Wilbur Dickens, member of the 540th Combat Engineers, I just found out that the guys got to visit Berchestgaden the first week of June '45. Wilbur sent photos of he and the guys. What a treat. I never knew they were there. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Hi Joe,3rdinf. Just read your posts. Right on the button buddy!

Why do I know? You all were on our left flank, (ITALY), Tell em

like it wuz. Your dogface buddy (34th I.D.) rjr

Hey Rocky Racoon! (Gee all these nicknames!) :lol:

Man this sure does stir up a lot of controversy. I was talking to a brother of a WWII vet a few months ago and the man got down right pissed about the article. He said to me, my brother is not a liar and he...

I'm like, whoa dude! I am not calling your brother a liar, but the truth is truth. Ouch! Guess what? The guy didn't speak to me again. That's his loss! ;)

Marion J Chard

Roque old buddy. many thanks. I was hoping this topic would die on the vine. Seems

like to many B.O.B. movie watchers dont give up. If Ike AND the Commander of the 101 A.B. at that time agree with this fact, what in hell is the problem?? " In his book, "Crusade in Europe", on page 418, Gen Ike wrote, "On May 4th....the Third Division captured Berchtesgaden," In General Maxwell Taylor’s memoir "Swords and Plowshares", wrote, in part, on page 106, "On May 4th the Division (Taylor’s 101st Airborne) received an order to move on Berchtesgaden....unfortunately a bridge was destroyed on our side of the autobahn so that the 3rd Division got to Berchtesgaden ahead of us on the after-noon of May 4th." Can more be said on the subjec t? I know, the truth seems to hurt some.

ROCKY RACOON!!!!!! DAMN!! I HADN'T HEARD THAT SINCE '44,AND '45!!

Lady you're A OK. Rocky J. Squirrel, that's another one. Hasta luego,

querida amiga. Rocky?

Damn it to hell, just when I thought all was laid to rest on Berchtesgaden I get a letter

from the 3rd Inf. Div Historic Society.::: Gentlemen,

Richard Winters, former CO of Easy Company 506th PIR, of Band of Brothers fame, has written a new book. In it he still disputes the capture of Berchtesgarden by the 7th. After consulting with Sherm Pratt we decided to answer him with the attached letter.

ROCK OF THE MARNE,

Mike

I dont really know if the "Band of Brothers" movie brought this on or what, once again.

I have the complete letter to Mr. W inters from the Society of the 3rd Inf Div. but will

not post it unless requested. Seems to me that times and dates and facts are history,

as proven finally.. Seems to me that once again, if it wasnt done by Airborne, special

Forces, Rangers, or the likes it wasnt done. And no one else could do it but them.

Kinda wonder just why it was the 3rd Inf put up the flag on May 5 '45.

I found a site with photographs very interesting !!

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/kehlsteinhaus.htm

Vee

Dear Vee:

A great site for BEFORE and AFTER photos. You seem very good at finding those! :armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard