Beautiful letter to John McAuliffe - 87th Inf Div

Went back to the museum today. It's expanding. It's a private collection!!! Very impressive.

My buddy John McAuliffe, received this letter. How heartwarming. :wub:

======

Dear Mr McAuliffe,

Today, Jan. 26th 2009, is the 64th anniversary of the liberation of my hometown, Huldange. As you know it was liberated by the 347th Inf. Rgt. of the 87th Inf. Div. and your unit was probably not far away from it.

With gratitude we remember what You and your buddies did for our ancestors back in 1945, while liberating them.

I guess you must have plenty of memories going back to that time these days.

How was your reenactment event which you visited last week?

best wishes and look forward to stay in touch

Dan

Thanks, Marion for posting Dan's letter.Daniel Rieland is a native Luembourger and young member of his town's Police Departemnt. He belongs to a Luxembourg WW-II re-enactment group; using WW-II vehicles. He met me last June 2008 on my visit to Lux. and took me to several places of note to visit with other frineds in both Belg. & Lux. and put me up at a hotel in his town. These people will never forget their Liberators and "go all out" in accommodating the "Comebacks" of the GIs. I also thank the Gentleman who posted my "Autograph" on the Red Ball Express at the Remember Museum of M&M Schmetz. I placed my name there on my visit in Jan. 2000 when I stayed at the Museum for 3 weeks guests of M&M..There isn't much more room for GI signatures on the truck...I will send you a photo of the signing with me in it from my Photo Collection. Thanks again ,Marion for honoring the Veterans. :14_1_107v: (email removed for privacy)

John McAuliffe: 87th INF.DIV.

(MARION'S NOTE: Dear John - I removed your email addy, since it's a damned-good way of getting hit by spam bots and you certainly don't need that. Actually any member of the forum CAN reach you via email, by simply clicking on your USERNAME, and viola, they will be able to reach you. A great little tool, which helps us to keep our anonymity!)

John, what a thrill to have you here. A warm welcome. Hope to see you often.

It was my pleasure posting for you, and we look forward to your new posts and images.

Big hugs,

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dear Vets I can only say that here in my area a lot of people still remember what you did for us and so long we have people like the one on this board it will never be forgotten. :14_2_108:

Sure is that the teens from today are not so well informed about the WWII due to a lack of education in school and at home today.

I only wish there were more people in this country that remembered what the WWII generation did for us all. There are many who do, to be sure, but I think the government education system hasn't done an excellent job of instilling an appreciation for history. Perhaps they are too interested in standardized testing. Or perhaps with the proselytizing on "global climate change" there isn't much room left for readin', writin', and 'rithmatic (and history).

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I also thank the Gentleman who posted my "Autograph" on the Red Ball Express at the Remember Museum of M&M Schmetz. I placed my name there on my visit in Jan. 2000 when I stayed at the Museum for 3 weeks guests of M&M..There isn't much more room for GI signatures on the truck...I will send you a photo of the signing with me in it from my Photo Collection.

John McAuliffe: 87th INF.DIV.

No thanks at all. I was just stunned to see that particular letter here and I knew it was the same John McAuliffe as the autograph which I saw on the truck. It is good to have you here Sir.

Respectfully,

Frank

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A kind letter - Joe Miller Walt's Daughter 0 2,158 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Letter from Anita Velazquez to Jim Hennessey Walt's Daughter 0 2,174 09-17-2011, 02:29 PM
  Letter found in wall Walt's Daughter 0 1,866 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
  PFC Frank Collatto - 87th Inf Div 345th Reg Co E Walt's Daughter 2 3,987 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
  Prewar letter from my Grandmother to her son arve 1 2,896 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
  Helen Patton and John McAuliffe Walt's Daughter 0 2,193 07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
  Poem by John McAuliffe - 87th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 1 2,858 03-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Last Post: rennog
  87th Inf photos Walt's Daughter 0 2,245 01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
  87th Inf Golden Acorns minkoff 2 3,242 10-25-2007, 07:31 PM
  last letter Guy Môquet sixgun 0 2,201 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Last Post: sixgun