Edward .F.Timmers

Hello Bas, welcome to our forum family, and thank you for caring for the grave of one of our fallen.

As Marion has mentioned, it does seem confusing but i think we can clear the picture up a little from the info you have provided.

"in the report of burial stays that he was first mia on 21 dec 1944 found on 29 jan 1945 in schlausenbach germany"

Prior to the start of the Battle of the Bulge, The 106th Infantry relieved the 2nd Infantry Division on Dec 10/11 in positions covering the Shnee Eifel region near the Loshiem Gap.

On Dec 16, 1944, Schlausenbach was in the area of the 422nd Inf Regiment of the 106th Infantry Division. This map is from the book: A Time For Trumpets, by Charles McDonald shows the positions on the 106th.

post-304-1232843007_thumb.jpg

exerpts from the After Action Report of HQ 106th Inf for Dec 1944

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/Reports/106thAAR-12-1944/106thAAR-12-1944.htm

"At 170630A December, the enemy succeeded in penetrating the sector of the 423rd Infantry in the vicinity of BLEIALF. He pushed some forces north from BLEIALF while other enemy forces advances south from ANDLER, the two forces effecting a junction in the vicinity of SCHONBERG during the morning. This cut direct communication by road and wire between the units east of the BLEIALF – SCHONBERG ROAD and the remainder of the division. The units cut off were the 422nd Infantry, 423rd Infantry, 590 Field Artillery, part of the 589th Field Artillery, Co B 81st Engineer © Bn, Co B, 331st Medical Bn, Co C, 820th TD Bn and Btry D, 634th AAA (AW) Bn (M). Radio communication was maintained with these units until late 18 December.

It is presumed that the 422nd Infantry Regiment, 423rd Infantry Regiment, 589th FA Bn, 590th FA Bn and the 106th Reconnaissance Troop were eventually overpowered by the German forces east of ST VITH and the bulk of the personnel captured about 19 or 20 December. The strength of the German attack in the division sector and the forces available to the division at the time prevented their being relieved. Attempts to supply the units by air failed because of the weather, although, as learned later, two drops were made but not within their reach. It is known that they were still in the fight early 19 December. It is also known that prisoners were taken by the Germans. However, the final chapter in the defense of the SCHNEE EIFFEL penetration of the SEIGFRIED LINE held by these units is not now known."

Some individuals & small groups of men of these units avoided surrendering & tried to work their way thru german lines back to St Vith during the next few days, some made it, some didnt. According to most accounts there were 2 companies of the 81st CE with the forward units on the Shnee Eifel. Company A was attached to the 422nd Regiment during the time frame of Mr Timmers death. I think Co B was with the 423rd. Since all the regiment commanders & HQ staff of the 422nd & 423rd were captured & their records lost or destroyed, Division HQ staff would have had to do the missing in action & KIA reports several days or even weeks later.

"found on 29 jan 1945" "in the document ; restricted inventory of personal effects stays that he he was served [unit 8 inf] organisation 4 div] i dont know what this means"

Here, i`m guessing his body was recovered by the 8th Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry division but i havent found info yet placing the 4th ID in the area on Jan 29.

Attached Files
.jpg   Schlausenbach.jpg (Size: 742.42 KB / Downloads: 0)

A link to the UNIT CITATION 81ST ENGINEER COMBAT BATTALION (106TH INFANTRY DIVISION) UNITED STATES ARMY

FOR CONDUCT IN GERMAN COUNTER-OFFENSIVE 16 TO 25 DECEMBER, 1944, WITH SUPPORTING NARRATIVE

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/Awards/81stEngrCitation/81stEngrCitation.htm

post-304-1232843007_thumb.jpg

Hello Bas,

You wanted info on Edward Timmers, you got it!!! Last week I sent an email to the Cincinnati Museum. They have a section dedicated to WWII and I thought it would be a good place to start research. My question to them was : What newspapers were in Cincinnati during the war as I wanted to try to find a copy of an obituary for a friend in the Netherlands. I told them a little about why you were searching and gave them Edwards name and date of death. This is what I got back:

We have located several newspaper articles related to Staff Sergeant Edward Timmers' death. While these articles are brief, they do contain a few details about his life, including the names of his parents and siblings. They also indicate that Timmers was married, and he had a son name Anthony who was born on November 19, 1944. Edward Timmers left the U.S. in November and arrived in Europe the day before his son was born. Unfortunately, he never had the opportunity to see his son.

Through city directories and local property records, I was able to determine that Timmers' wife Dorothy later remarried someone with the last name of Niederberger. By using the website Ancestry.com, I have reason to believe that his wife and son eventually moved to Erie, Pennsylvania. Currently, there is an Anthony Timmers living in Erie, who appears to be Edward Timmers' son.

If you would like, we can send you copies of the above mentioned newspaper articles. All I need is your postal mailing address.

I hope this information is helpful to you and the gentleman in the Netherlands. If you have any additional questions, just let me know.

I emailed my address to her and will forward them to you. Send me your home address offline and I'll mail them to you.

Sometimes you get a lucky break in your research.....

Man, this is not even for me, but if you were here I'd kiss you. :huggybears: What an angel. Great sleuthing Sherlock!!! :icon_pray:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I was very sad to see that he never met his son. I am so glad that someone has adopted his grave and that he is still remembered. Even if it is by a bunch or strangers on a website....

It saddened me too. :tearyeyed:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

great ! i am verry happy ! and also sad about his son he never see his dad

i am the dutch gentelman my last name is timmers

in the past our family emigraded to the us canada and australia

i am verry happy with the search results ,on the februari the 13th i go to henri -chapelle to visit his grave

and sorry for my bad englisch,i speak it verry well but to write is not so good

my best regards bas timmers

so perhaps you are related!!! I will either scan and email the obituary or mail it to you. When I receive it I will look at the size.

I would love to see a photo of the grave stone. Perhaps you can post it

thank you !

when i m back from the ardennes i post the picture

best regards bas timmers

so i am back from the belgium ardennes ,and here are the pictures from henri-chapelle military cementry

schaatsen2009009fj5.th.jpg

schaatsen2009012hd1.th.jpg

schaatsen2009005df7.th.jpg

it was verry special this time with the snow

best regards bas timmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for information on William Edward Purkess Mark D 4 5,374 12-23-2020, 07:23 PM
Last Post: WEAVER
  Info on Tech 4 Edward L Kelly New Guinea WWII KAYOK 3 4,504 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter