Digger awarded Victoria Cross for heroic gallantry

Digger awarded Victoria Cross

http://www.theage.com.au/national/digger-a...90116-7inm.html

:armata_PDT_37::clappin2:

Impressive feat. But I must have missed it; what's a digger?

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Capt. my thoughts of a digger is an old dogface.

I did some diggin' rocky----- :armata_PDT_19:

Digger is the New Zealand and Australian military slang term for soldiers from New Zealand and Australia. It originated during World War I.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

There are numerous theories about the origin of the term. Before the war, the term "digger" had been widely used in Australasia to mean a miner, or a Kauri gum-digger in New Zealand. On 25 April 1915, General Sir Ian Hamilton sent a message to the commander of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), General William Birdwood, following the landing at Gallipoli. It contained the postscript: "P.S.—You have got through the difficult business, now you have only to dig, dig, dig, until you are safe." However, there is no hard evidence to support the theory that Hamilton's message is the reason why digger was applied to ANZAC troops in general. W. H. Downing, in Digger Dialects (1919), a glossary of words and phrases used by Australian personnel during the war, says that Digger was first used to mean a New Zealand or Australian soldier in 1916. It appears to have become popular among New Zealand troops, before being adopted by Australians. The word was not in wide use amongst soldiers until 1917. One other theory is the fact that ANZAC troops were especially good at digging tunnels between their own trenches and the enemies, and were regarded by both sides as diggers, one being derogatory and the other more in jest. The job of digging between the trenches was very hard, especially when both sides' diggers met in the tunnels. ANZACS believed that it was a compliment to be referred to diggers, because it indicated you were good at a very difficult job.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well I guess I was a little off base. Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seabee Awarded Purple Heart Iraq Carolyn 2 4,236 08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Jeeper704