Farewell Lt Gen. HARRY W. O. KINNARD (Ret.)

Lt Gen. HARRY W. O. KINNARD (Ret.)

Harry William Osborn Kinnard, Lieutenant General U.S. Army (retired) at the age of 93 died peacefully at his home in Arlington , Virginia on January 5, 2009. A soldier, leader and statesman, he epitomized the motto of his Alma Mater, West Point , "Duty, Honor, Country". He was born into an Army family on 7 May 1915 in Dallas , Texas . He lived an Army life of service to his country beginning with witnessing the attack on Pearl Harbor and defense of the island, then later parachuting into France on D-Day, commanding airborne soldiers in Holland and directing operations during the Battle of the Bulge with the 101st Airborne Division at Bastogne .

After WWII, he continued to have a distinguished military career. In the early 1960's, he formed and tested a new type of Army division and after 2 ½ years transformed and lead it into combat in Vietnam as the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). This new Division set the standard for future U.S. Army airmobile operations. He ended his Army career as the Commander of Combat Developments Command at Ft. Belvoir , Virginia in 1969. He received many high military honors, including the Distinguished Service Cross, and being knighted by the Queen of Holland for his actions in Holland in 1944. After his retirement he remained very active as a consultant and advisor. He was president of the Army Aviation Association of America and inducted into the Army Aviat ion Hall of Fame. He was president of both the 1st Cavalry Division and 101st Airborne Division Associations. He represented the President of the United States during the 50th Anniversary Commemorative events of WWII in "Market-Garden" ceremonies in the Netherlands .

He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Kinnard; three daughters, Susan C. Payson, of Prescott, AZ, Kathleen L. Coursey of Stockton, CA and Cynthia L. Harman of Lexington, SC; two sons, Robert H. Kinnard of Prescott, AZ and Harry W. O. Kinnard III of Gainesville, FL; two stepdaughters, Libby Nicholson of San Clemente, CA and Janmarie Hall of Hamilton, VA and one step-son, COL ® Tom M. Nicholson Jr. of Augusta, GA; sixteen grandchildren and fifteen great-grandchildren. His son, Bruce Kinnard, preceded him in death.

A viewing and visitation will be on Sunday January 11th 2009 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the DEMAINE FUNERAL HOME, 520 S. Washington Street , Alexandria , Virginia 22314 . Gravesite service and interment will be at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors on Thursday March 19th at 1:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Calvary United Methodist Church , Memorial Fund, 2315 S. Grant St. Arlington , VA 22202

---------------

Marion's Note: This info kindly sent to me by John McAuliffe, 87th Infantry Div. Let me add my personal condolences. Rest in peace sir!

post-2-1231407419_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Lt_Gen._HARRY_W._O._KINNARD__Ret._.jpg (Size: 37.9 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

A great officer and a great person.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Erwin

A great officer and a great person.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Erwin

Amen to that...

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN

Published: January 10, 2009

Lt. Gen. Harry W. O. Kinnard, who inspired the storied retort “nuts” to a German surrender ultimatum during the Battle of the Bulge, died Monday in Arlington, Va. He was 93.

Lt. Gen. Harry W. O. Kinnard

His death was announced by his family.

General Kinnard parachuted into Normandy in the first hours of D-Day. He received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism during Operation Market Garden, the airborne attack in the German-occupied Netherlands. And he helped pioneer the airmobile concept, sending troops into combat aboard helicopters during the Vietnam War.

But he was perhaps best remembered for what happened in December 1944 at the Belgian town of Bastogne, where the 101st Airborne Division, short on clothing and boots in a snowstorm and bitter cold, was surrounded by German troops.

Bastogne, at the intersection of important roads, was a crucial objective for the Germans in their surprise attack in the Ardennes region of Belgium, an offensive that had created a “bulge” in Allied lines.

On Dec. 22, two German officers approached the American lines in Bastogne carrying a demand that the American commander surrender his troops within two hours or face annihilation from an artillery barrage.

The message was passed on to Brig. Gen. Anthony C. McAuliffe, acting as division commander while Maj. Gen. Maxwell D. Taylor was in Washington.

General Kinnard, a lieutenant colonel at the time and the division’s operations officer, would recall that General McAuliffe “laughed and said: ‘Us surrender? Aw, nuts.’ ”

As General Kinnard related it long afterward in an interview with Patrick O’Donnell, a military historian: “He pondered for a few minutes and then told the staff, ‘Well, I don’t know what to tell them.’ He then asked the staff what they thought, and I spoke up, saying, ‘That first remark of yours would be hard to beat.’

“McAuliffe said, ‘What do you mean?’ I answered, ‘Sir, you said, ‘Nuts.’ All members of the staff enthusiastically agreed. McAuliffe then wrote down: ‘To the German Commander, Nuts! The American Commander.’ ”

The note was carried back to the German officers by Col. Joseph Harper, a regimental commander. The officers did not seem to understand it, so Colonel Harper told them, “If you don’t know what ‘nuts’ means, in plain English it is the same as ‘go to hell.’ ”

The 101st held out, and four days later an American column broke through the German lines, lifting the siege. That response of “nuts” came to epitomize the grit of American soldiers in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds.

Harry William Osborne Kinnard II, a native of Dallas, entered military service after graduating from West Point in 1939.

Having fought extensively with the airborne, he oversaw a more modern way to get troops into combat quickly when he commanded the 11th Air Assault Division (Test), created at Fort Benning, Ga., in 1963 to develop the airmobile concept.

That became the First Cavalry Division (Airmobile), and General Kinnard commanded it in November 1965 when it undertook the Army’s first major engagement of the Vietnam War, the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley. North Vietnamese casualties were heavy, but that encounter in the Central Highlands left more than 300 Americans dead and foreshadowed a long war of attrition. The battle was recounted in the 1992 book “We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young,” by Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway.

General Kinnard retired from military service in 1969. He is survived by his wife, Libby; his sons, Crew and Robert; his daughters, Susan Payson, Kathleen Coursey and Cynthia Harmon; his stepdaughters, Libby Nicholson and Janmarie Hall; his stepson, Col. Tom Nicholson Jr.; 16 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.

General McAuliffe became famed for the “nuts” reply, but sometimes grew weary of hearing the story retold. On one occasion, he thought he had a respite.

“One evening a dear old Southern lady invited me to dinner,” he recalled. “I had a delightful time talking to her and her charming guests. I was pleased because no mention was made the entire evening of the ‘nuts’ incident. As I prepared to depart and thanked my hostess for an enjoyable evening, she replied, ‘Thank you and good night, General McNut.’ ”

More Articles in US » A version of this article appeared in print on January 11, 2009, on page A27 of the New York edition.

I went to Bastogne today. Just for a walk with my parents. I noticed at the tourist information center that they made a special notification about the passing of Lt. Gen. Kinnard. They still remember him as one of the men who held the town of Bastogne.

Frank

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Harry R. Moran - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 2,967 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Passing of Harry S. Oyler - 540th CE Walt's Daughter 0 2,304 12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter