Rocky... Did you hear about this..?

I suppose most of these sad incidents never made it the papers ect..

Regards, Moose.

MUTINY AT SALERNO

On September 20, 1943, one of the saddest episodes in British military history took place: a mutiny by some 300 replacement troops from the 51st Highland Division and the 50th Northumbrian Division. These veterans of the North African campaign had been convalescing in a hospital in Tripoli while their parent Divisions were returned to the UK. Sent to Salerno as replacements, they believed that their officers had broken a promise to them that they would be sent to Britain to rejoin their own regiments. Disembarking at Salerno they sat down on the beach and three times refused to report to their assigned units. The Corps Commander, General Richard McCreery, addressed the men and some agreed to join their assigned units but 192 men still persisted on disobeying. They were put under arrest and sent back to Constantine where they were court martialled. The three leaders of the mutiny, all sergeants, were sentenced to death, the others to jail sentences ranging from 7 to 10 years.

In the Official British History of 1943, the Salerno Mutiny is not even mentioned but is reported in Hugh Bonds book 'Salerno' published in 1961.

Moose, May the new year be full of happinessand may your dreams

come true.

No, this is the first timeI have heard this. I don't think this was

mentioned in the paper. We, the 34th was always to far from the

British. I believe the 36th.45th divns. were between us. But this is

quite an article. Of course we,34th, were kinda busy at that time

and our main idea was to stay alive. AND HERE I AM. Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rocky's Italy Trip 2011 Walt's Daughter 56 41,568 05-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Question to Rocky , sgtleo and all the veterans forum of Marion sixgun 2 3,462 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Last Post: TopSgt
  Rocky..... ricklind 3 4,590 05-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  For Rocky.... ricklind 3 4,218 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  For ROCKY... ricklind 1 2,743 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas