Tales from Oz; Life on the "Dark Side"

My dad's generation has come to be known as "The Greatest Generation." There is no doubt of that in my mind. My dad wasn't fond of the German's, after all, they tried to kill him. And my mom hated them, they killed her brother at Normandy. Though my mom really liked "Panzerlied" from Battle Of The Bulge. I've known many vets who loathed the Japanese. So many with feelings absolute.

As for me, there are only two 'absolutes, the first being 'absolute zero' temperature and the second being an 'absolute signal' on the railroad. Everything else is subject to my scrutiny. I have a favorite quote spoken character on the TV series Babylon 5, "Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side. My side. And the truth that lies in between." That, I suppose, is part of what makes me tick.

That being understood [ or perhaps not ] I submit the following:

I've read volumes written by the American side regarding the history of WWII. I knew of the war and I knew about the war, but I never had an understanding of the very many why's of the war The first book that I'd ever read that was written by a member of "the other side" was loaned to me by my fried Mark. The reading of this book helped me take my first step into a much larger universe.:

No Surrender: My 30 Year War by Hiroo Onoda

post-687-1230733077_thumb.jpg

A fascinating account of a man's devotion to duty. I couldn't put this book down. My first ever glimps of WWII from the eyes of the 'enemy'.

Next:

Samaurai by Saboru Sakai

post-687-1230733134_thumb.jpg

Tales of the war by Japan's leading surviving fighter ace. By the time I'd finished this book I was ready to join the Saboru Sakai Fan Club. Not a cold hearted enemy but a very human man bound by honor and duty and devotion to his country. A man who came to realize his humanity during a dogfight with a famous American pilot. Mr. Sakai actually visited many of his opponents after the war and paid them honor and tribute.

And then:

Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara

post-687-1230733175_thumb.jpg

A riviting account of a boy who grew up to become a destroyer captain in the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Attached Files
.jpg   2539b220dca0731b788c4010__AA240__L.jpg (Size: 16.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   51VF1YNDX2L__BO2_204_203_200_PIsitb_sticker_arrow_click_TopRight_35__76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg (Size: 16.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   10a1225b9da0e83506c6b010__AA240__L.jpg (Size: 13.5 KB / Downloads: 0)

My latest acquisition. Not the same edition though:

post-687-1230736008_thumb.jpg

And this is what I'm reading now:

The War North Of Rome June 1944 - May 1945

post-687-1230757025_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   31826.jpg (Size: 166.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   51NKZAC7BYL__BO2_204_203_200_PIsitb_sticker_arrow_click_TopRight_35__76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg (Size: 14.74 KB / Downloads: 0)

"THE WAR NORTH OF ROME", now you're getting into my subject area Janis. I can also recommend the best WWII

book I ever read - BITTER VICTORY by Lt Col Carlo W D'Este - the story of Operation Husky the 1943 capture of

the island of Sicily by the allies. (in which Marion's dad fought)

Colin.

:tank:

"THE WAR NORTH OF ROME", now you're getting into my subject area Janis. I can also recommend the best WWII

book I ever read - BITTER VICTORY by Lt Col Carlo W D'Este - the story of Operation Husky the 1943 capture of

the island of Sicily by the allies. (in which Marion's dad fought)

Colin.

:tank:

I'll be sure to check that out.

Thanks Colin

The book, "North of Rome", I went to a book store at a shopping Mall

and I saw the book there. I opened it, and It happened to open to

page 72. I shed a couple of tears. I was there, my outfit, the 135th

Regt 34th Divn. Needless to say I bought the book,price $9.00!!!!

BOTTOM OF PAGE 72.

COMBAT ENGINEERS, CALMLY CLEARED MINES.. Middle of page 73

1st and 3rd Bns. went through the mine fields towards the river.

Iwas in the 1st Bn. Thank you Combat engineers, you are one

of the reasons that I am writing this now. Roque,(Rocky)...................

I was there, my outfit, the 135th

Regt 34th Divn. Roque,(Rocky)...................

First of all Rocky, let me say "Thank you", for what you did over there.

Before starting research on my dad's unit I always thought of Normandy and the drive through France as the nastiest thing. But the more I learn of the war in Italy, the more realize how nasty and ugly things were in the Italian Campaign. From reading the book I'm getting the impression that Italy was "Tiger country" and that Italy was definitely no "soft underbelly of Europe"

"North of Rome", Was written by Senator Bob Dole of Kansas.

He was in the 10th Mountain Divn. I tried to get one of their

parkas, didn't make it. Bob Dole was a Lt. then. Got hit on the

right shoulder, Now right arm is useless. If you ever see a pic

of him now. He has a pen stuck in his right fist. Keeps people

from shaking or touching the hand. Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life Magazine Pictures Online civilwargal 1 3,872 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter