Valkyrie (the new movie that opened Dec. 25th)

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I'm sure we are all familiar with that failed plot to kill Hitler..or most are anyway. I am going to take my 13 year old Great-Nephew to see it in the next few days, mainly because I'm trying to develop in him an interest in WWII history. My own expectations are set low on this Hollywood film version starring Tom Cruise as Claus von Stauffenberg. For one thing I can't see Tom Cruise as a German offizier...no way in Hell. The second thing is that I have come to prefer that actors who portray Germans actually speak German! I never thought I'd say this but I would rather read sub-titles than to listen to an actor who is supposed to be a German speaking English. It's just not believable to me anymore after seeing some really great foreign movies like Downfall that seemed so real to me. Hey...Tom Cruise has made some great movies like Rainmanto name just one, but I just can't buy him in the role of a German officer...

Dogdaddy

Jim, Maybe he'll grow into the part.... :pdt12:

I was wondering the same thing about this one.

I saw previews for another WWII era movie last night, I think it was called "Definiance", is that right? It looked pretty good, I think it's due out in mid January.

Yes Brooke, Defiance. We saw an ad for it last night on TV. Lee and I said, that looks like a good one. Will definitely tune in.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The reviews that I've read say that he was terrible, but the rest of the movie was quite good and that the other actors were excellent. I'm going to give it a shot err considering how Cruise meets his end, perhaps try would be a better choice of words.

Once saw a brilliiant German comedy film where two German guys go back in time to kill ole' one ball.

They do everything except that, it was sooooooo funny, perhaps my little B.B over there in France could track it down, thanks Vee.

The reviews that I've read say that he was terrible, but the rest of the movie was quite good and that the other actors were excellent. I'm going to give it a shot err considering how Cruise meets his end, perhaps try would be a better choice of words.

I saw the movie last night and agree with those reviews. There are several fine German actors in it that you will recognize from Downfall, but Tom Cruise was not convincing that he was anything else but Tom Cruise in a German uniform. I think the film would have been much more effective if they had used an unknown in the Lead role. One other thing...the plot did not spend enough developing the reasons why Hitler needed to be killed. Sadly, it's likely that American audiences would not go to the theaters (in any numbers) to see a movie about WWII without a big star like Cruise, and the producers know this. Wait for the DVD... :rolleyes:

Dogdaddy

Once saw a brilliiant German comedy film where two German guys go back in time to kill ole' one ball.

They do everything except that, it was sooooooo funny, perhaps my little B.B over there in France could track it down, thanks Vee.

That might have been an episode of either Night Gallery or maybe the newer Outer Limits. I remember seeing it though.

I plan on seeing Valykrie on Sunday.

Just got back from seeing Valkyrie. I give it two thumbs up :pdt34::pdt34:

I prefer that German characters at least roll their Rs, but the fact that Cruise's character began the film speaking German and then faded into English was quite acceptable. The glass eye kind of creeped me out :armata_PDT_23:

Even though I knew the ending, it didn't take away from the film. I'll definitely add it to my DVD collection when it's released. I thought that the guy playing Himmler looked very much like him. We didn't have a bad looking Hitler either, though he could have used a bit more of the "crazed" look in his eyes.

I was surprised to learn that Von Stauffenberg orgiinally attempted to execute the plot on my birthday, 15 July. Interesting

In any event there were a lot of nazis running around in the film, and they're my favorite villians. :pdt12:

WE (Lee and I) have to agree with Janis. We watched the film Friday night, and thought it was extremely well done.

I have to admit, after reading a few posts here, I watched with trepidation, but that finally gave out when I actually gave the film a chance.

My husband is extremely well-versed in this time period, and said it was very accurate, and even stated to his sister and I, that Tom Cruise looked very much like Claus von Stauffenberg.

We didn't mind the fact that Tom Cruise didn't have a German accent, for the majority of the actors DIDN'T. We too liked the subtle change from the German into American, which acclimated the audience.

So, two thumbs up from the two of us. Would definitely recommend to all. :armata_PDT_37::armata_PDT_37:

Lee was also impressed they didn't get into the gore of the torture and executions, but rather told a very good story.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Churchill - new movie trailer Walt's Daughter 2 4,279 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Battle of the Bulge - 42 movie mistakes Walt's Daughter 4 6,515 07-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  The Mighty Eighth Official Teaser #1 (2014) - War Movie HD sixgun 0 2,982 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  bedford the movie bas timmers 2 4,409 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bas timmers
  Silent Night Movie Ladd 4 8,113 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM
  World War II movie lists Walt's Daughter 11 10,973 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
  WW2 PATRIOTIC MOVIE Cadetat6 1 3,923 01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy