ASF 4th SC 1473 SCU

I'm searching for information on my uncle's unit, 4th Army Service Command. His name is Johnnie M. Benefield; dates of service May 14, 1943-January 2, 1946; discharged as a Technician Fourth Grade. In his enlistment record found online, under "Assignments and Geographical Locations" it says ASF 4th SC 1473 SCU. Marion very kindly told me that the SCU stood for Special Care Unit and the number before that indiates the hospital center.

I know absolutely nothing about this unit and was wondering if anyone could help. Thanks so much.

Welcome Melissa! It's great to have you here. You have a tough assignment, and I'm glad I could get you started on your way.

Hope we can offer you some good tidbits.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My Viet Nam Veteran friend's father was a Major in that unit.

This was the 1473rd Service Command Unit, Special Training Unit Detachment.

Their job was to educate illiterate(?) recruits, to bring them up to 4th grade level and provide some basic military training.

He was a psychiatrist in charge of separating the untrained from the untrainable ones and make evaluations.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erwin

This would be a unit of the Army Service Forces in the 4th Service Command.

The 4th SC under the realignment proposal of 1943 comprised the area of Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Kansas, Wyoming, & Colorado with headquarters in Chicago.

The ASF provided a multitude of services in the US for all the General Hospitals, training camps, all posts, camps & stations etc.

I have found no info the individual SC units but the 1473rd probaly was in the Medical Depatment Service.

A lot of reading here, but it show the tremendous size & scope of the ASF. :

THE ORGANIZATION AND ROLE OF THE ARMY SERVICE FORCES

Melissa, I contacted my friend and he said it is ok to contact him.

He'd be glad to help you.

Just pm me any contact info and I'll pass it on.

Erwin