English 'Eagles' training, Sept.2008

Rocky, the heavy breathing is poor ole' Moose trying to run up and hills trying to film.

This was our last training weekend of this year, we are now drilling for 'Veterans Day'

in November at ALDBOURNE, Wiltshire, England.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwz91G1na0

I like the video! Moose, you seem out of breath !

As, I would have liked being there!

I could have made many photos !

Kisses my Gi's preferred :rolleyes:

Vee ;)

I posted a comment there this morning.... :drinkin:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I always get a chuckle out of the accents these yanks sport!! They must be from Connecticut ot something! :pdt12:

I couldn't tell you how troops of the WWII era were trained (I'll let Joe and Rocky do that!) but here's what we Marines learned. When under fire and moving from one prone position to the next, you get up and say, "I'm up, they see me, I'm down" and hit the deck. We move within 4 man fireteams rather than squads, but in WWII, I think the smallest organized unit was a squad. (Rocky, Joe can I get a witness?) As one FT member gets up and moves, the others lay down a base of fire to cover him, then the next man goes, and so forth. All three fireteams move individually but simultaneously and thus the squad moves in the direction of the enemy. In the Pacific I do think they were used, but I don't know to what extent. Wikipedia has some info on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireteam.

Once again, looks like fun Moose, glad you could get up to the top of the Hill!! What kind of AAA was that? WWII Ack Ack is not my strong suit, identification-wise.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

In basic training, the D.I's didn't know about combat. So all we did was, close order drill, rifle,grenade range, our rifles

were Springfield '03's. Not until we went overseas did we get the M1. In combat instinct takes over and we all

knew what to do and when.

Capt. on a personal note. I sent you two copies of a certain ITEM, and I didn't get a response. No need to

say anything on them now, I think I have an idea on your Thoughts. Including someone else. Roque

Moose:

I know for a personal fact, Don Burgett and his buddies are very proud of what you and da boys are doing. You've had the honor and pleasure of meeting him and a few other 101st Airborne men, who took the time to meet you while they were in England. They got to see your unit perform, and did a close-up inspection of the troops.

We owe you and many other of the reenactors, a great deal for bringing history to LIFE. You have my respect because you and others like you, have sparked interest in so many people, including elementary, middle and high school students. Without people like you, they may never know, or know as much about WWII and the men who fought for both our countries.

I know that sometimes reenactors get a bad rap, and I think that is a shame, for not only are you learning and keeping the history ALIVE, but it is an indispensable teaching tool. Yes, I am sure there are a few out there who do no justice to the men they represent, but that is the case with any project, company, service, or group.

I say, keep up the great work, and thank you for being interested in getting the invaluable opinions of the vets still with us. You are to be praised for your actions.

Currahee!

:1032:

Marion J Chard

Here, here! I second that. I only wish I had the time and money to do it myself. Perhaps when the kids are older I could find a unit near my house. There are serveral in the North Carolina, Virginia area but they are still a drive.

Here's to ya :drinkin:

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I just wanted to add that I think it's important that we all gets the facts straight, and learn from one another. I know I, Moose and most everyone else, are not only here to share what they know, but to learn and to go on teaching what we've learned.

I try to make a point to congratulate and let people know when they've done a good job. It's all too often people only speak up when they have complaint or criticism, and many of us forget to give that pat-on-da-back. You can still give input and be frank and honest, but don't forget to extend a handshake for a job well-done, or to someone who is learning and trying to give it their all.

Encouragement goes far!

:14_2_108:

Marion J Chard

"I always get a chuckle out of the accents these yanks sport!! They must be from Connecticut ot something! "

I'm from Connecticut and I assure you that we don't have an accent!!!!

Give you credit Moose, the last time I had a good run like that across a field, I didn't have the foresight to film it. We were walking Picketts Charge in Gettysburg and being chased by an injured woodchuck..... That would have been fun to film.

Thank you kindly for your observations and comments. Each time I make a note and employ them in our next

training day. It ALWAYS amazes me that our guys, from all different walks in life, and who are unfit arrive and put their all into portraying the WW11 Veterans and what they did, many times I am in awe as they drag their sorry butts off the ground and give it one more shot. The comradeship, was never in short command, is one thing that the Group has achieved and the guys have buddied up and help each other with foxholes and

most other duties. On 'R&R' the beer tents and pubs rattle when the singing starts, if there was any trouble

you know that backup would be there !!!

I can't thank Rocky, Joe and Todd for all their advice, keeping it coming gents....

Todd, that gun was a bofors.

post-256-1223765925_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   bofors_gun.jpg (Size: 135.87 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saar Offensive - Aug 29 to Sept 1, 2013 - Somerset Walt's Daughter 2 5,634 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  English Eagles....11/11/2012. ricklind 3 6,127 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM
  A Jump Into History - 1944- Sept 18-19 2010 angatti 2 4,571 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  CAMP WINCHFIELD, ODIHAM..3 DAY FIELD TRAINING EXERCISE. SEPT 2009 ricklind 5 7,012 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Christmas leave, WOLT , England, Dec 2008. ricklind 3 5,404 12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
  Detling, England 2008. ricklind 1 3,733 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Images from the Detling multi history show Aug. 2008. ricklind 3 5,320 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
  Littlecote House, Wiltshire, England. 2008. ricklind 0 3,020 07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Last Post: ricklind
  Aldershot Army Show, England. July 2008 ricklind 4 6,432 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
  'English Eagles' General Salute. ricklind 2 4,795 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM