Army Corps Engineers Veteran's Patch

Just won a bid on Ebay for the following item.

post-6-1112818528_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   ArmyCorpVeteranPatch.jpg (Size: 8.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Is that a patch for a baseball cap?

I do not know. Just know I wanted it and for that price I couldn't pass it up. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Well, I gambled on an item and I am still evaluating whether it is a good deal or not.

This was supposed to be a Battledress tunic from a Veteran of the Polish II Corps. Here is a small photo of it.

Polish2CoTunic.jpg

This is a British tunic, similiar to the Ike jacket dated Feb 1945. On both shoulders are red "POLAND" titles. The left shoulder has a red Mermain patch of the II Corps. On the pocket is a II Corps badge, shown in the insert.

Now for authenticity. The II Corps patch is fake; poor quality. So, that means the POLAND titles are probably fakes, too---but they look okay. The badge looks pretty good quality. It has a number impressed into the back and an old screw back nut. If the badge is real, then it could be worth at least $50.

The tunic is authentic and very good condition. It is stamped with the date and "NZ", which could be New Zealand manufacture (maybe?). And it fits me!!

The stripes are British, of course. Many of the Polish units wore their old Polish rank insignia on their epaulets. But most photos of enlisted men do not show any rank at all. Their summer uniform was a short-sleeve khaki shirt without rank. The Polish troops wore a mis-mash of uniforms and equipment so it would not be uncommon for them to resort to wearing British rank as it was handily available.

Maybe in the next few weeks, I will get some leads that will positively validate the badge. If not, I maybe paid a little too much but it will look good in my collection. I've always wanted a nice Brit tunic.

Steve

That is just great. Yes, even though everything may not be authentic to the core, it is a an authentic jacket and as you said, will go very nicely amongst the other things in your collection.

I hope to get a combat engineers jacket some day. But that will have to wait until more money is in the ol' pockets. Right now I am settling for pins and patches to add to my collection.

Did I tell you I have an artillery shell, some ammo, a helmet, etc. from my husband's uncle Fletcher who was in WWI? I should take photos and put them up on the site someday. Ah, so many things I want to do at once. ;)

Congrats on your acquistion my friend.

Oh before I forget. I just about flipped when I got my email tonight. All my email goes through MailWasher before it's allowed in Outlook and I saw your name, but it was in color (it colors spam) and under the BLACKLISTED column. I said, "WHAT?" Then I looked again and it had your name as from, but not your email address. It was one of those damned bank scams from Africa. It was even signed by Steve Cole. I don't know if that was a coincidence, or these darned spammers are picking up names to fool people into opening them. Egad! :wacko:

Marion J Chard

My name is probably now pasted on ALL the Billboards on the InterNet highway now.

My email filters out some legitimate stuff. I check thru my SPAM folder and retrieve some good ones---usually someone trying to contact me with a Question. Then I open the next one and it is a Bank scam. :angry:

Steve Kolwinczski

I've been out most of this week on business trip. I travel to Burbank, CA, once or twice a year and after years of searching I found a shop that sells Militaria---or as they call it---Military Antiques. The store has been around for 8 years but I just now found it.

This is what I bought there.

Corp15AG_1.jpg

It is a 1944-dated Ike Jacket in size 38 Small. The rank is a corporal and the branch insignia is Signal Corps. Jacket comes with two "US" and two Signal Corps discs in the collar lapels and holes where a DUI pin had been in the epaulet. The unit patch on the LT sleeve is SHAFE; the previous unit patch on RT sleeve is the 15th Army Group. All patches were sewn on using white "XXX" stitching pattern.

The ribbons are hand-made ribbons of larger size than standard issue. They are made from colored thread that were wound to form ribbons and then sewn on a felt backing. The overseas strips appear to also be hand-made bullion stripes on a felt backing. The diagonal re-enlistment stripe is also not typical make. The pocket flaps have been sewn completely sewn shut.

Damage is several small moth holes and some fraying on sleeves, possible from removed patches.

Close-up of Hand-made ribbons: red color has faded to an orange. Note the pocket flaps were sewn shut. Lower RT ribbon is the Occupation Forces, which indicates this jacket is configured for post-WW2 wear. The other ribbons are Good Conduct and 3 campaign ribbons; a battle star on one.

Corp15AG_ribbons.jpg

Patch of 15th Army Group; the command over the US 5th Army and British 8th Army and all the forces in Italy. General Clark was promoted to command the 15th Army Group in Dec 1944 to replace British General Alexander.

Corp15AG_patch.jpg

Steve

Ooo, looks like another fruitful trip Steve. Too cool! You must be very proud of all your acquistions. The jacket is awesome. Someday I hope to find a combat engineers jacket. I will, I will...

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XIX Corps Engineers Walt's Daughter 2 3,452 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Comments on engineers by Johnny Thompson - WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 2 3,473 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
  Happy 240th Birthday US Army Corps of Engineers!! Walt's Daughter 2 3,807 06-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Interview Questions for VI Corps Engineers Walt's Daughter 1 6,149 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Last Post: mikel
  280th Engineer Combat Bn, 16th Corps, 3rd Army militaria7 1 3,586 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,595 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  Joe Izzillo - Naples War Veteran Walt's Daughter 8 8,695 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM
  Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon patch Walt's Daughter 1 4,144 09-10-2011, 08:20 AM
  VI Corps Engineers 1941 Carolina Maneuvars arve 8 8,255 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  Civilian Employees Corps of Engineers WWII? Walt's Daughter 2 4,217 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM