Day to Day Life Overseas!

Good morning Joe and our latest member Russ. Boy this is just great having the two of you here from the 3rd Inf Div. Wonderful and can't wait to hear more! :D

Sorry you had trouble in the beginning Russ. The reason you couldn't get on right away was because of the way it is set up. Got your email and you mentioned the security system on the site. Yup, you are correct, it AIN'T easy getting on. So when someone initially signs up, it has to be approved by yours truly. Since I have company this week from out of town, my step-daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter, I haven't spent much time on my email or the message board, so I didn't get the chance to authorize your registration until late yesterday. You will now be able to post your messages on this board. Just login with your User Name and password. If you have any problems just ask me. I'll be glad to help you out.

Must run for now. Have to go play with my granddaughter!

:wub:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey guys. I may have missed a post somewhere, but did either of you serve with the 3rd Division in ITALY??

At the moment, I can't remember how far north the 3rd Division advanced in Italy. They moved out of Anzio and into Rome. I think they were deployed north of Rome but I'm not sure. I'll have to check my references. By 15 August, they were landing on the shores of southern France.

Yes, they did leave after Anzio and Rome and the 3rd left with my dad and other units and went to southern France late summer of 1944.

Marion J Chard

Russ and Joe:

Make sure you check out this post today:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=1140

Marion J Chard

Custerman: While I joined the 3rd Inf Div in France, Russ (3-7-I Recon) joined the 3rd

Div. at Azio. Both of us as Inf. casualty replacements. The Division was made up primarily of casualty replacements. Very few "originals" left.

Marion: Would really like to see some of "Dennis's" photos of the 3rd Inf Div., and wonder if he ran across another 3rd Inf. Div combat cameraman, namely sgt. William

Heller from the 3r Signal. Hopefully Russ (3-7-I Recon) will be on soon, but he is

having health problems . Actually did not ever meet Recon, but somehow we got

together on the net (E mail) and found out we both served in many of the same battles

together and have been friends for years since, even though being in different outfits

in the 7th Inf Reg. He being a I&R platoon leader (Lt.) and me being a PFC company rifleman made no difference. We still go back and forth via E mail regularly .

Joe:

I will contact Dennis right now and let him know. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to look into it and share what he knows. Let me know when you hear from him.

Interesting how you and Russ met. So many vets have made new friends or been reunited through the internet. It is a GREAT tool! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Joe:

I sent you Dennis' email address yesterday. Let me know what transpires.

Thanks so much for sharing Russ' history. We look forward to hearing from him and from you.

Marion J Chard

Berchtesgaden, the Berghof and the Eagles Nest.

As a "newbe", I have been reading some of the old posts on this site.

Both J3rdInf and I were at the Berghof on May 4, 1945. Rather than repeat the old news, let me tell you this! I was in 7th Inf Hq Co. at that time and was on the inside, so to speak. Our 3rd Div C.O., General Iron Mike O'Daniel, knew that the last prize of the War was in the French Army Zone of advance. But he ordered the 7th Infantry, 3rd Divisionn to send out strong patrols to take the only two bridges across the Saalach River and set up strong road blocks to let no one outside the 3rd Inf Div. to pass! The patrols were led by a couple of Lt. Colonels and included anti-tank guns.

When the French arrived at the bridges, they were denied passage, despite demands by General Le Clerc himself. After the 7th Infanty was firmly establishedatthe Berghof and the Eagles Nest, and held an American flag raising ceremony, the French allowed to cross the bridges. They looted the town of Berchtesgaden and tried to enter the Berghofarea but were not allowed entrance. A day or so later, the American 101st AB Division arrived and they too were not allowed in. Itwas part of their assigned post war occupation zone and they came in as we left for Salzburg, Austria.

I have several photos taken at the time, but I can't handle the frustration of trying to post them.

Russ Cloer - IstLt, 7th Inf, 3rd Inf. Div.

Gee, Lieutenant, I wish there were something I could do to help you! There must be somebody in your neck of the woods who could sit with you for a spell and work with you. We have enjoyed looking at what you've posted so far!

Marilyn

Hey Russ, if you want, you can send the photos to me as email attachments, and I'll be more than glad to post them for you. I frequently help out Papa Art and several others too. I understand your frustration.

;)

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March of Life - desecendants of SS tour death camps Walt's Daughter 7 6,848 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ex-Nazi Officer Gets Life for WWII Massacre CaptO 3 4,237 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Anzio photos Life magazine arve 0 2,344 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Last Post: arve
  A Young Life Wasted curtdol 2 4,408 08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Stevin