1106th Engr. Combat Group

So I am trying to help out some one I met on the armyairforces site. Her grandfather was a veteran of WWII and it appears as he was in the 1106th Engr. Combat group. I am having a very hard time finding any information on this group. I have seen some quick mentions here and there but nothting solid. I have an e-copy of the DD214 but besides the obvious I am unable to find anything of real depth. Any suggestion? Thanks,

Tex :huh:

Have you tried contacting the 101st Airborne Division, since the 1106th was part of this division?

Screaming Eagles Veterans Website

Trigger Time

Also have you seen these?

World War II In Their Own Words

Saving Private Ryan - Forces Assaulting Utah Beach

The Seaborne Assault

Hyperwar Logistics - Launcing the Invasion

Utah Beach

Hope that helps you. Let me know. -o-

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks for those excellent links Marion. :)

Your quite welcome. Getting to be a pretty good researcher as of late. Believe me, there's not many stones unturned while trying to dig up stuff on my dad. Wow, if I was getting paid to do this, I'd be rich this year! B)

In all honesty, I have had the help of so many wonderful people since I renewed my search in April of this year and feel it is my turn to help others find information on their dads and granddads. You know that old saying, "One hand washes the other!" So I am happy to try and piece the puzzle together for my new friends. ^_^

Marion J Chard

The 1106th is going to tricky. They were all over the place on 6Jun44. They had pieces attached to the 101st they came ashore on Utah, they came ashore on Normandy. I have a feeling though that Tec5 Parker was with RHC 1106th Engr. Combat group. He recieved a purple heart for wounds received on Normandy and they only 1106th unit I can find also happanes to be the only one listed as having come ashore at Normandy. That's the trick when researching Combat Engineers, they spend most of their time attched to other units.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Certain combat engineer units, such as my dad's were independent units. At several points in time the 540th were attached to the 3rd, 34th, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions on an as needed basis. Other engineer units were a permanent part of a division, so of course following their journey across the European continent would be much, much easier.

There are several courses of action that you can take:

• 1. Contact the Army Corps of Engineers
  • 2. Contact NARA regarding morning reports of this unit
  • 3. Contact an independent agent for research
The Army Corps of Engineers keeps history folders on units. Some are several inches thick and some may have just a few pages. They were able to help me.

Of course the NARA Morning Reports route will take a bit more effort. You either have to go there in person and go through records or you can hire a research student to help you with your quest. NARA is having problems with their site this afternoon, so you may want to try again later today.

I can recommend a very good historian who runs his own research company. You can contact Richard at: WW2 Connections. He offers several levels of research that are dependent on how much info you want and how much you (or anyone else) are willing to spend. He is extremely knowledgable and has over 5000 books in his personal library.

Good luck to your friend. Keep the faith! -o-

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1173 Engineer Combat Group - Researching my great grandather Brendan 19 20,598 07-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Need help piecing my Grandpa's WWII story - 39th Combat Engr Weston497 19 19,130 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Free History of the 1051st Engineer Port Constr & Repair Group SavageM1Thompson 3 4,405 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM
  Robert Lanman 149th Engr Co C. September1944 3 4,734 05-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: September1944
  360th Engr. GS Regt. Scott Randolph 13 12,795 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
  Info on 253rd Engr Combat BN tiamariawithkaz 3 6,641 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
  Company C 338th Engr jeansamsmom 1 3,644 03-24-2015, 10:53 PM
  138th ENGR Combat Battalion usaeff 5 9,582 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Last Post: JohnGerlosky
  Looking for PFC Allan J. Mulgrew 1175th Engineer Combat Group briansutton 8 7,505 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Last Post: briansutton
  36th ENGR, 3rd Bn, Co I, John M. STRICKLAND, Jr. Bundles 1 3,751 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM