Papa Art is gone...

Just read the sad news on Papa Art. May he rest in peace.

Chuck,

Roque is absolutely right. My dear Aunt gave very wise advice when she told me:

"If you ever get into terrible trouble and don't know what to do - just be led by Holy Spirit and you will be alright." In the times when I've been so weighed down & overcome with grief or fear, I've often said: "Lord, I know this is my burden to carry - but could you just take it from me for a few hours so I can sleep/rest and then I'll pick it back up again."

I swear to you that the Lord has always answered that prayer.

Clearly, part of Art's "mission" was to help you & part of YOUR "mission" was to help Art.

You aren't done yet, Chuck. You may not know what effect your kindness, your friendship, and your memories have on all the people you will see in the next few days.

That too is part of your "mission" for Art.

For weeks after my mother passed, I'd come home from work & put in the video of her 70th birthday party. Everyone that I'd invited had said: "I wouldn't miss a party for Helen for anything!", so it was a HUGE celebration with all her girlfriends from Teachers College, all her nieces & nephews, brothers & sisters, cousins, neighbors, and all of my Dad's family too. It gave me great comfort to see again her joy and surprise when she walked through the doors of the hall & saw everyone. In the last few years of her life, she'd been so sick that I'd almost forgotten when she was well. Watching that video & seeing her going from table to table greeting everyone , I'd say: "No more sickness Mumma, no more oxygen, no more suffering, no more sorrow". In a very small way, this must be what Heaven is like - being engulfed by the perfected love of all those WE'VE loved.

Surely Art is now experiencing joy surpassing anything we can comprehend and it's certain that HE now will be praying for YOU Chuck and - we all will too!

Mary Ann

Marion and forum members,

Just a note to offer my condolences on the passing of Papa Art. He certainly made his cheery self known around and about. He found a home on these forums and made many friends who will miss him sorely.

Rest in peace, Art. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance. BK

BK: So nice to see you here. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post your feelings re: Papa Art. He started posting on WBG, way back in 2003. It was fun to go through the posts on your site, and see him in his prime.

Love to you.

M2:

It is wonderful to go back through all the phases of life, and see everyone in their prime. It's great to reminisce years later, and then you see the full impact that person had not only on you, but everyone around them. Papa Art probably had little inkling on how his life and philosophies had on all of us. In that aspect, his life lives on in all of us. What better legacy than that?

Some people are so focused on things that have no long range effect. They worry about mundane items, and have no real sense of what's important in every day life. What do you want written on your headstone? She was a good housekeeper? Or, she touched the hearts and souls of many across the great divide? What really matters, and what do we waste our time fretting about?

Oh enough of me rambling on... God bless Papa and his sweet and kind ways.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks for the note, Marion.

Papa Art visited the Wild Bill site because his brother Robert had been in A Company, 506th PIR, 101st AB and fought alongside Easy Company from Toccoa till he was KIA at Himmelgeist. http://forums.wildbillguarnere.com/index.php?showtopic=2976

Robert's story is posted here:

http://forums.wildbillguarnere.com/index.php?showtopic=2975

Art was thrilled to find some folks who were familiar with his brother's war. Eventually, his visits on WBG led him to Marion and meeting Don Burgett. I can only imagine how much his socializing with these late in life friends meant to Art. Reading through, I'm reminded how gratifying it was to give him a hand making his way on the Internet, but it was Marion who carved out a special place for Papa Art. Very nice indeed!

BK

BK: What can I say. You summed it up nicely about Art. Sometimes he just fumbled around and got lost. Sometimes I (we) had to hold his hand and guide him again and again. Sometimes we'd laugh, and sometimes secretly get frustrated. But all in all, it was a wonderful and touching experience.

I think he brought many of us back to the basics, and made us laugh and appreciate the small things. We can't deny how he touched the lives of so many, across so many boards. If in doubt, just type his name into Google, and see how many items it brings up. :armata_PDT_01:

Thank you for your kind words about me. That brought a tear to my eye. I think our meeting (his and mine), was simply fate, or something similar. Our chance meeting opened many a door and brought so many people together. Funny how one posting on one site, can do so much.

So here's to Papa once again. He even brought you here this evening, and let us chat on and on. One person can make a big difference in the scheme of things.

Warmly,

M1

Marion J Chard

Sorry to hear about Art. His stories of Detroit in the 40's had a certain charm and reminded me of my own days in Detroit a generation later. He will be missed by many.

Chris

I wish to thank all of you good people for the way you responded. His funeral is past but the memories go on and on. It was THE nicest service I have ever attended. Standing room only. Art's pastor Rick led the service and recounted all the things I wanted to say. At one point he sang Amazing Grace and it was moving. We all prepared ourselves for the worst. He closed his eyes and let it out. The most beautiful rendition I will ever hope to hear. A perfect way to say goodbye to an old and much loved friend.

And ,,, yes Mare! I did as you requested and told him it was from you.

Again, thanks to all

chucktoo

I knew it would be a beautiful service, and Chuck, thanks for doing that for me. Getting a bit choked up thinking about it.

I know it was very difficult for you, and the last two days must have seemed an eternity, but as I stated to you in a private email, it was that all important circle of friends who were there for each other.

Much love,

Mare

Marion J Chard

I only knew Papa Art through the internet on two different WWII forums. He came across as a very kind and thoughtful gentleman who genuinely liked people and staying in touch. He dearly loved his late wife and now, happily, is with her again. He loved to regale us with his many jokes. Happy landing, Papa Art. We shall miss you.

Marilyn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Henry Papa - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,149 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  RIP = Henry Papa 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,152 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Papa Art in hospital Walt's Daughter 5 5,967 03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Last Post: rennog