Papa Art is gone...

God Bless you Reg. Thank you for sharing this with me, with our members and with Art's family.

Marion's note: Am going to combine this post with our other Farewell to Papa, just for sake of ease for the family.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is very sad, Papa Art had sent me some really nice emails telling me how he and his wife had met and really uplifted me in my relationship with my wife. I only met him via emails, but I knew he was a very kind person. My heart goes out to his family.

Take care Art and God speed.....

I am planning on sending an arrangement from all of us. If anyone would like to make a small donation towards flowers, I will be happy to handle the purchase and delivery to the family. Please note, I realize that not everyone can do this, and that is totally fine. Any money in excess will be donated to the charity of the Morneweck's choice.

Thanks my friends,

M1

Count me in Marion. Can you send me a PM how to take care of the money?

Regards,

Frank

I am planning on sending an arrangement from all of us. If anyone would like to make a small donation towards flowers, I will be happy to handle the purchase and delivery to the family. Please note, I realize that not everyone can do this, and that is totally fine. Any money in excess will be donated to the charity of the Morneweck's choice.

Thanks my friends,

M1

Count me in Marion.

I'll send you an international mandate to your address

Regards,

VEE

I found his obiturary in the Detroit newspaper:

Age 85 July 25, 2008

Beloved husband of the late Charlotte "Micky." Dear father of Terry (Jack) Ellis and Toni. Grandfather of Tim. Step grandfather of Angie (Joe) Rohr and Marcie (Jim) Birk.

Visitation at the O'Brien/Sullivan Funeral Home, 41555 Grand River, Novi 248-348-1800 Monday 1-8pm.

Funeral service Tuesday 11 a.m. at the funeral home.

Donations may be made to the Michigan Parkinson Foundation 30400 Telegraph Road, #150 Bingham Farms, MI. 48205.

On line sympathy message at

http://www.obriensullivanfuneralhome.com

Marion J Chard

I just sent a flowering basket from all of us. I hope you approve of my selection. Wanted to give something which would last. It will arrive at the funeral home today.

Fern, ivy, spathiphyllum and pink kalanchoe, along with fresh alstroemeria, arrive in a wicker basket

Attached card says:

In loving memory of Papa Art

Marion Chard & everyone at VI Corps Combat Engineers Forum

Warmly,

Marion

post-2-1217246573_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Papa_Art__s_Flowers.jpg (Size: 25.37 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

I'm sorry to hear he has passed away. I didn't know him as well as some of you, as he wasn't posting as much when I joined, but I do feel we have all lost something special. Another of a great generation passes on. As with my grandfather, it is good to hear that he is no longer in discomfort or pain. I only hope that I can make such an impact on as many people by the time my time comes. My thoughts and prayers to him and his family and loved ones.

Todd O.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I apologize for not being able to attend the funeral, but with the nature of my business and the fact that we are down to only one car, I just can't get away.

Papa and Chuck kindly attending my mom's wake down state. I was and am still very grateful to them for that extension of friendship.

Marion J Chard

What can I say Mare, other than thanks. You expanded on my request and I am deeply moved. Say a little prayer for me. How I am going to get through today & tomorrow only HE knows. Talk about band of brothers; well Art was my banded brother. So often we talked of things that weren't even shared with family. Thoughts of our wives Mickey & Flo were always up front.

Though our friendship goes back nearly 50 years; May 2, 02 changed that. Five months earlier, Mickey died after a long illness. Flo and I paid our respects and, to my everlasting shame, I went on with my life. Until the next May when Flo passed away with hardly any warning. I now knew what pain Art must be going through with his loss. I drove out to Novi to see him and we spent the next several hours talking and crying. From that day on we never missed a week, meeting on alternate Wednsdays first with coffee & donuts, then to the computer to see how we could mess it up so Jack, his son-in-law, could restore it to normal operation again. Finally out to lunch to finish the day. God he was a good friend. All my life I had this wall that kept people at a safe distance, but Art tore it down. Now I wonder where do I go from here.

Sorry to go on like this, but I had to let it out.

and now for the next two days

Chucktoo-- Just have faith in the LORD, HE will give you the strength to

carry on. Our prayers will also help you at this time.

Marion you should get my letter today or tomorrow. The flowers in the

basket look beautiful. You have very good taste for this. Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Henry Papa - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,189 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  RIP = Henry Papa 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,176 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Papa Art in hospital Walt's Daughter 5 6,036 03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Last Post: rennog