National Airborne Day - August 16

Sent to me by Howard Huebner - 82nd Airborne

National Airborne Day

This note was sent to him:

I am passing this "noble act" on to all of you !!!! Vivian Roger, Association U. S. Normandie

Since the Fiftieth Anniversary of Charlie's death, the Town of Grand Island NY, has been Proclaiming August 16th as National Airborne Day. The Airborne Community is attempting to get this Day proclaimed on a permanent status by Congress and the President.

National_Airborne_Day.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   National_Airborne_Day.pdf (Size: 585.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

So lets have a Infantry Day also. Seems to me a lot of usual dogface Infantry Divisions had much higher

casualties than any Airborne Division in WW 2. Check out the casualty figures. I guess we just had less

publicity agents.

National Airborne Day

I am passing this "noble act" on to all of you !!!! Vivian Roger, Association U. S. Normandie

Since the Fiftieth Anniversary of Charlie's death, the Town of Grand Island NY, has been Proclaiming August 16th as National Airborne Day. The Airborne Community is attempting to get this Day proclaimed on a permanent status by Congress and the President.

NO DISRESPECT MENT AT ALL--BUT-- IF THERE IS AN AIRBORNE DAY THERE SHOULD

ALSO BE AN INFANTRY DAY, (COMBAT INFANTRY). 34th divn. over 600 days combat, can

the 82nd match it? I am with Joe on this. this is for two,(2) proud dogface G.Is'

National Airborne Day

I guess we just had less

publicity agents.

Hit the nail on the head there, sir. Looking even within the 101st Airborne, you can see an exampleof that. Most people know of "Easy company, 506th PIR" simply because of the BoB book and TV series. The other 8 companies in that regiment forgotten as well as the other PIR's as well.

Looking back at the Army as a whole, the same thing happened. The paratroopers got the press because what they did was "sexy". My specialty right now is comm. I don't see anyone around taking pictures of antennas for Fox news, et al. They want guns, artillery, and other picturesque stuff.

Plus, there were only a few divisions of those guys and a whole hell of a lot of you dogfaces! Your life didn't suck any less than theirs from day to day, but the press like things that are different. The defense of Bastogne made for an exciting tale as well. 6 months of living hell in the Hurtgen Forset doesn't make such a neat story, I guess.

I second the motion! Let's have a ground pounder day! :armata_PDT_19:

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Normandy - The Airborne Invasion Of Fortress Europe sixgun 0 2,415 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  National Air and Space Museum CaptO 1 2,929 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  National WWII Museum CaptO 8 9,716 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
  National WWII Museum - Christmas donations Walt's Daughter 0 2,054 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
  From the National WWII Museum Walt's Daughter 0 2,128 10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
  National Archives to House Infamous Nazi World War II Papers Walt's Daughter 0 2,196 08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
  NASM Announces National Tour For Enola Gay Walt's Daughter 0 3,576 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
  82nd airborne memorial walk Frank Gubbels 6 9,072 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
  The Museum 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg ! sixgun 2 4,119 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
  This date in history - VJ Day - August 15, 1945 Walt's Daughter 2 3,642 08-15-2008, 12:33 PM