292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

Awesome photo Gary! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It is a shame it has a burn hole in it. I have studied the photo closely several times and I do not see my grandfather in it. However, the soldier in the back row just to the right of the burn hole to me resembles Ralph's dad from pictures I have seen of him. Hopefully Ralph will drop in on the forum soon and tell us yes or no. He is already a member but has not been active. He told me Sunday he would check in on us but so far has not done so. I'll e-mail or call him to let him now he needs to get on here. I count 47 men in your photo, do not think it is an entire company. I am not sure but it may be some kind of training photo. When the 292nd entered the war zone in Dec. 1944 it had a total of 631 men (599 enlisted, 32 officers) between four companies (H&S, A, B, C) and a medical detachment. The Dec 1944 Company A morning reports show it to be 159 soldiers strong. Thanks again for posting the photo Gary my friend and hope to hear again from you soon.

Randy

Hello, all,

Feeling dumb, of course my photo is not of the whole battalion. I took a closer look and saw the "A" below the Battalion number. It appears to have been taken at the same location as yours, Gary, but of the entire company. No faults at all in mine. I hope to get back to the gallery that copied what I have to find out whether any of you who want a hard copy can order it from them. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to show it to you here on the forum. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to upload my photos?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

To upload your photo click on the "More Reply Options" block located on the bottom right hand corner of the reply box. A "Choose File" block will appear on the bottom left hand side, clicking on this will allow you to browse for files on your computer to upload. Once you have found the photo you want, click on it, then click "Open". Then click on the block "Attach This File", once file is loaded look over to the right were it says "Add To Post" click on this to add your photo to your reply box. Hopefully this has helped , if not let us know and we will do our best to help you. Very much looking forward to seeing your photo, if there would be a hard copy available to order I would definitely be interested in having one and I'm sure my friend Ralph would too.

Randy

Lisa,

I absolutely echo what Randy said concerning the possibility of getting a copy of the photo you speak of. I, too, look forward to seeing the photo and would love to be able to scan it in and post it as as high a resolution as possible.

Isn't this great hearing from folks that have the same regard and respect for the men of this unit and all that they sacrificed?!! I look forward each and every day to seeing if another message has been posted to this forum and to this thread regarding our common interests. Thanks so much to all of you for your time and efforts and I look forward to continued correspondence with any and all who look to honor these great patriots!

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Great words, Gary!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Great words, Gary!

Yes Gary, well said my friend! I don't spend a lot of time on Ebay, but I did happen to spot a panoramic photo of Company C of the 292nd for sale. Seems these type of things have a way of finding me! Anyway, even though I have no family connection to Company C, it is a piece of 292nd history and I couldn't resist having it. It's being shipped as we speak and I'll try and get a photo posted as soon as I receive it.

Randy

Randy, how cool. I bought several engineer related items on Ebay throughout the years. You never know what you will find.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hello to all When Randy called me about Liza's post my wife and me were packing to move into town and my computer was already packed. Long story short we got moved the internet hooked up today. It's great to see some interest in the 292nd, as Randy said my father was in A co with his grandfather and we are sure that the knew each other. I looked at Gary's photo which is great photo hoping my father was in it but he's not there. I am greatly interested in seeing Lisa's photo. If it is a company photo than all our kind should be in it. that would be really awesome.My father told me of riding home on leave with a follow soldier by the name of Clark, I'm sure that he was Randy's grandfather so I was greatly pleased when Randy and I met on another forum and become friends. I look forward to future post's from you all. Ralph.....

Hey Ralph,

Glad to see you check in with us. Hope you have settled into your new place alright. Don't envy you none, moving is such a chore, done more than my share of that over the years. Thought that one fellow in Gary's picture might have been your dad, sorry it wasn't. Since Gary's grandfather was a mechanic I was thinking maybe it is a motor pool section photo. Do you have any thoughts as to what group the photo might be?

Randy

Randy I would say its a good guess that you are right about it being motor pool. I don't know how many men were in motor pool but would assume it would be platoon size. I'm thinking the man standing on the left would be a LT, the man standing on the right looks to me like a staff sergeant, ..........Ralph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 136,872 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,377 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 4,965 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 58,634 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,091 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 26,632 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 3,987 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 16,993 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,650 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,621 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM