292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

On 11/8/2018 at 7:31 PM, buk2112 said:

Just ran across this tonight. Another 292nd member passed on back in September, do not know at the moment which company he belonged to.

James R. Sendelbach

Obituary for James R. Sendelbach

James R. ‘Sandy’ Sendelbach passed away Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. at the Vancrest Healthcare Center in Delphos. 

He was born in Delphos April 4, 1923 to A. C. "Sandy" Sendelbach and Amelia "Amy" Brückner Sendelbach who preceded him in death. He married the love of his life and best friend, Betty Marie Myers in Bluffton in September, 1971. She preceded him in death on March 9, 2017. Sandy is survived by numerous nieces and nephews, many great-nieces and nephews, and also several great-great-nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by four sisters, Mary Rita Miller, Arline Sendelbach, Joan Ulm and Patricia Arnoldi. He was also preceded in death by three brothers, Norman, Leroy and George Sendelbach.

Sandy attended St. John’s grade and high schools. He attended St. Louis University through the G.I. Bill, graduating with a degree in Economics. He was a veteran of World War II serving with the 292nd Engineering Combat Battalion in Europe as a radio operator. He was a ham radio operator with the call W8HQS and talked often on the air with his three brothers, also hams. He was an avid fan of the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Cubs since 1932. Sandy worked as a Resident Representative for the Social Security Administration until he retired in 1978. He was a self-described average golfer who loved to fish the trout streams and hunt ruffed grouse in the "bush" of the Copper Country of Upper Michigan,

He loved to write, including letters to the editor, on issues about which he felt strongly. He also authored recollections of his family, his life while working in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and in a diary of his experiences in the Army during the Second World War. 

Sandy was a liberal all of his adult years and took great pride in his Facebook motto, "Tolerance to All." In his college years he wrote an essay, "The Meaning of Liberalism" which served to frame his philosophy of life throughout his years. 

It was his wish to be cremated. A Memorial Mass of Christian Burial will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 29 at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Resurrection Cemetery, with military graveside rites by the Delphos Veterans Council.

image.jpeg.62350184f5399628926de1c21657a1be.jpeg

Farewell Mr Sendelbach, thank you for your service.                                                                                                                         

James R Sendelbach was a member of A company...

Just came across this obit of a former 292nd ECB member tonight. Mr. Gansebom served in Company B of the 292nd.

Vernon Gansebom

• Sep 4, 2018

Vernon Gansebomhttps://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews...=300%2C348 300w" style="border:0px;vertical-align:middle;" width="300" />

OSMOND — Services for Vernon M. Gansebom, 94, Osmond, will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Osmond. Military honors will be conducted by Osmond American Legion Post 326 and VFW Post 7838.

Visitation will be 5-7 p.m. Wednesday at the church in Osmond.

He died Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018, at Countryside Home in Madison.

Ashburn Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.

1924-2018

Vernon M. Gansebom was born Jan. 16, 1924, to Otto and Ella Gansebom in rural Osmond. He was baptized on Feb. 17, 1924, and was confirmed on March 21, 1937, at Immanuel Lutheran Church. He attended District 19E grade school and graduated with the Osmond High School class of 1941.

As a youth, Vernon worked on the family farm and spent the summer of 1941 as a harvest hand on a crew in North Dakota. He returned home to pick corn by hand in the fall.

World War II broke out in December 1941. Vernon attended Lincoln Aeronautical Institute in January 1942 and then transferred to the Convair Production Facility in San Diego, Calif., and assembled B-24 bombers.

He was drafted into the U.S. Army in January 1944 and assigned to the 292nd Combat Engineers Unit at Camp Bitner, N.C. He served in the European Theatre, 70 miles from Berlin until the war ended. Vernon was discharged May 9, 1946, and started his farming career east of Osmond in 1947.

On June 1, 1950, Vernon married the love of his life, Donna Pedersen. This union was blessed with four children: Dan, Diane, Carole and Wayne.

Vernon was a well-known grain and livestock farmer in the Osmond community. He served as a trustee for Immanuel Lutheran Church and served on the board of directors at Wayne County REA for 23 years. He was a life member of American Legion Post 326 and VFW 7838.

He and Donna traveled extensively in Europe, Mexico and the U.S.A. He retired from farming in 2000 but continued to ride his all-terrain vehicle, spraying weeds and checking crops and irrigation from his pickup as long as he was able.

Vernon is survived by his sons, Dan (Deanna) Gansebom of Osmond and Wayne Gansebom of Madison; his daughters, Diane (Randy) Lamprecht of Hornick, Iowa, and Carole (Denny) Kirby of David City; four grandchildren, Chad (Shelly) Gansebom of Suamico, Wis., Kristin (Dave) Wortman of Lincoln, Jason (Renee) Lamprecht of Smithland, Iowa, and Jaclyn (Will) Acosta-Trejo of Omaha; two stepgrandchildren, Lynn Sabatine of West Chester, N.Y., Mark (Tina) Kirby of David City; 11 great-grandchildren; a sister-in-law, Delores Wurdinger; and his nieces and nephews.

Vernon was preceeded in death by his spouse, Donna, on May 27, 2016; his parents, Otto and Ella; his siblings and their spouses, Roy (Agnes) Gansebom, Hilda (Bill) Mohr and twins, Phillip Gansebom and Phyllis (Don) Netz; and cousins.

image.jpeg.f29a631199002ea62db4787827a82646.jpeg

Farewell Mr. Gansebom, thank you for your service...                                                                               

Attached Files
.jpeg   image.jpeg (Size: 14.67 KB / Downloads: 0)

Rest in peace. Thanks for sharing his obit.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I don't know if anyone keeps up with this thread anymore, but I thought I would introduce myself. 

My name is Sam Eggleston. My grandfather, Ed, served in the 292nd with B Company. He never spoke of the war to anyone, including my father. All I have learned I did through some interviews with people my grandfather had served with, as well as some stories he had written to my grandmother while he was overseas. 

Ed was from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There, he married Winefred (Morton) and together they had five boys -- David, Paul, Bruce, Mark, and Brad. Three of them still live on the same road that they grew up on, which is the road I grew up on. 

Ed's time in the military was never revealed to us other than his best friend during his time was Floyd Cook out of Illinois. My dad's middle name is Floyd in his honor. 

I do have a Co. B panoramic photo that I can see about getting scanned in if there is any interest, as well as another photo with a smaller group of men with some names written on the back. 

I really appreciate this outstanding thread. Well done, everyone. 

6 hours ago, seggleston said:

I don't know if anyone keeps up with this thread anymore, but I thought I would introduce myself. 

My name is Sam Eggleston. My grandfather, Ed, served in the 292nd with B Company. He never spoke of the war to anyone, including my father. All I have learned I did through some interviews with people my grandfather had served with, as well as some stories he had written to my grandmother while he was overseas. 

Ed was from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There, he married Winefred (Morton) and together they had five boys -- David, Paul, Bruce, Mark, and Brad. Three of them still live on the same road that they grew up on, which is the road I grew up on. 

Ed's time in the military was never revealed to us other than his best friend during his time was Floyd Cook out of Illinois. My dad's middle name is Floyd in his honor. 

I do have a Co. B panoramic photo that I can see about getting scanned in if there is any interest, as well as another photo with a smaller group of men with some names written on the back. 

I really appreciate this outstanding thread. Well done, everyone. 

Hello Sam, so glad to have you here on the forum with us! We certainly did have a good thing going on in this thread but I guess for now folks have lost interest. I still lurk here and still research the 292nd when I can.

I have panoramic photos of Company's A & C and would love to have one for Company B. You probably have seen in the thread about the new museum at Camp Butner, NC (where the 292nd trained), I'm sure those folks would like to have one for their collection as well. I still have their contact information and would make sure they received one. I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a panoramic of H & S Company.

There are no rosters for the 4 companies of the 292nd that I know of, but I have been working on making some from the many documents and information that I have. Currently I have compiled 119 names for Company B. I did not have your grandfather's name on this list but will certainly add it, However, I did have a PFC Floyd G. Cook ASN# 36900233 which I assume is your grandfather's friend.

I would be excited to have you share any photos or information with us. I still have much that I can share and would be glad to try and answer any questions that you may have.

Have a good one!

Randy

Hello again Sam. I did a quick look in the online enlistment database and was wondering if the following record is for your grandfather.

Field Title
Value
Meaning
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER
NAME
EGGLESTON#EDWARD#J######
EGGLESTON#EDWARD#J######
RESIDENCE: STATE
MICHIGAN
RESIDENCE: COUNTY
MARQUETTE
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT
MARQUETTE MICHIGAN
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION
PVT#
Private
GRADE: CODE
Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION
BI#
Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
BRANCH: CODE
FIELD USE AS DESIRED
#
#
TERM OF ENLISTMENT
Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
LONGEVITY
###
###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL
#
Undefined Code
NATIVITY
Undefined Code
YEAR OF BIRTH
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP
#
Undefined Code
EDUCATION
4 years of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION
Farm hands, general farms
MARITAL STATUS
Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY
Selectees (Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER
#
#
BOX NUMBER
FILM REEL NUMBER

Welcome to the forum. Topics are always open, so feel free to add photos, etc. Pleased you found us. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

On 1/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, buk2112 said:

Hello again Sam. I did a quick look in the online enlistment database and was wondering if the following record is for your grandfather.

Field Title
Value
Meaning
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER
NAME
EGGLESTON#EDWARD#J######
EGGLESTON#EDWARD#J######
RESIDENCE: STATE
MICHIGAN
RESIDENCE: COUNTY
MARQUETTE
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT
MARQUETTE MICHIGAN
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION
PVT#
Private
GRADE: CODE
Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION
BI#
BRANCH: CODE
FIELD USE AS DESIRED
#
#
TERM OF ENLISTMENT
Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
LONGEVITY
###
###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL
#
Undefined Code
NATIVITY
Undefined Code
YEAR OF BIRTH
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP
#
Undefined Code
EDUCATION
4 years of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION
Farm hands, general farms
MARITAL STATUS
Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY
Selectees (Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER
#
#
BOX NUMBER
FILM REEL NUMBER

Yeah. That's my grandpa. He got married just after this. 

Last names (forgive me if I get spellings wrong as these were given to me a long time ago)

Front row (L to R): Whittamore Schutz Copeland Oconnor Gilge Johnson Seagram Macari Dunning Marusama Rotramel Cooper 

Center: Perry Johnson Cook Howell Assimus Morrison Siegal Long Eggleston Gomaz Kobek Lavolis 

Third row: Titus Martin Pavalae Calvert Gonzebaum Belatt Walter Wagener Schilz Prochasta Larocco Trenary Richty

On the back of my grandfather's picture are these signatures:

Robert Jennings

Samuel Morrison

Lawrence Titus

John H. Martin

Garland Ritchie

John Prochazta

Floyd Cook

Martin J. Kobach

Keith Slagle

Earl Perry

Louis Gomez

J. Cooper

Bernard Kaplan

Herbert A. Seagram

Kendall J. Whittemore

Harold W. Johnson

John W. LaRocco

J. E. Johnson

Richard C. Long

Charles M. Trenary

Robert H. Calvert

Gerald Schulz

Arthur F. Walters

Alfred Wagner

John H. Pavelec

Elmer Gilge

E. J. Rotramel 

Arthur N. Schultz

Jessie E. Dunning

Absent - Tony L. Ferreira

John A. Macari

John Levolis 

Daniel A. O'Connor 

Charles Assimus

V. Gansibom

Carlton Shiller

Harold Buenger

Ralph Q. Hosley

Kenneth E. Balch

Edward J. Eggleston

20190123_162610.jpg

15482803722804404366051813092695.jpg

15482804262526322645225405083765.jpg

15482804546893815945301374461074.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   20190123_162610.jpg (Size: 672.89 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   15482803722804404366051813092695.jpg (Size: 1.1 MB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   15482804262526322645225405083765.jpg (Size: 911.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   15482804546893815945301374461074.jpg (Size: 734.88 KB / Downloads: 0)

This is a panoramic shot from my phone. I will have to figure out how to get it scanned hi res for you guys. 

At the bottom is reads: Co. B 292nd Engineers Combat Battalion 

Camp Butner, NC May 19, 1944

Herman Webel 1st Lt. Commanding 

20190123_170109.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   20190123_170109.jpg (Size: 1.45 MB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 139,997 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,540 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,129 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 59,837 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,194 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,533 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,115 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,512 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,933 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,911 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM