292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

Hello Everyone,

Received the Company C panoramic photo that I had bought on ebay in the mail the other day. What a great picture! The quality is excellent, it has been well taken care of, you can see much detail in the photo. Taking a photo of a panoramic picture behind glass is a challenge indeed. I have done the best that I could with it, unfortunately you won't be able to see good detail of the faces in this posting. Perhaps Gary may be able to give me some tips on how to get a better image to post later on. This will have to do for now.

post-2432-0-80548400-1456242433_thumb.jpg

In case you are having trouble reading the writing at the bottom of the photo, the following is inscribed:

Company "C"

292nd Eng. Combat Battalion

Camp Butner, N.C.

May 19, 1944

Capt. Arthur Malcolm Wellman, Commanding

Attached Files
.jpg   005 (4250x1073).jpg (Size: 48.34 KB / Downloads: 0)

Thanks very much for posting that picture. My uncle Dean Belmonte is in there. Somewhere...

Pete

Hello, all!

Randy, that IS Sterling's handwriting in the address book. My husband and I enjoyed seeing it.

I've worked with the gallery who made the copy of the Company A panoramic photo for me, and they're ready to sell copies to anyone who wants one. I can't quote you the price because I don't know what they'll need to charge for shipping and handling (mailing items is not standard business for them). The copy itself is quite inexpensive. All you need to do is contact them using the info below and tell them you want a copy or copies of "292CompanyA." No need for a password of any kind.

Hampton House Art & Framing

Ph 336-723-8869

hamptonhouse@triad.twcbc.com

www.hamptonhouse.net

I'm very pleased to be able to share this photo with everyone, and I'm sure Sterling would have been, too. We found it way back under the eaves in their attic. It's a shame it wasn't on display in the house for all those years, but the gallery said that was good from the standpoint that it hadn't been exposed to light. That's why it's in such good shape.

Let me know if you have any trouble ordering it. The gallery owners were happy to hear that it had created so much interest, not so much for the business as because of their own interest in historical photos.

Sterling's daughter

Hi Lisa,

You do not know how much I appreciate your taking the time and effort to make this photo available to us, god bless you! It really means a lot, as I have stated previously my grandfather never had this picture and my whole family is anxious to see it. Very generous of the gallery also for helping us to be able to have copies, I'll be contacting them right away. Thanks again.

Randy

Another wonderful sequence of events. Kudos to all!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey, Pete!

Great to see you back, my friend! We are all so happy that you started our paths to connecting and to Marion for having the empowered you to do this.

Lisa,

Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to acquire a copy of the A Company photo from your family. What a gift! I would imagine there will be others in my family who will want copies, also.

Randy,

No matter how the image is to be gotten (by camera or by scanner), you need to see if you can take the photo out of the frame. Of course you will need to see if this can be done without damaging it. Assuming you can, this should get you a better quality of image depending on the camera you are using (I assume you are taking a photo of it). I have no problem scanning it for you if that is what you desire and we can definitely discuss this if that is your desire.

This offer goes to all. If you have documents or pictures that you want high quality scans of then please don't hesitate to let me know and we can discuss this. Incidentally, has anyone ever heard any more from Sam Harrison from this thread?

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=8285

Maybe Marion can send him a message to see if he wants to join the "292nd party" that we have here? :)

Thanks to all for your contributions and interest.

Gary

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Thanks Gary, If I don't reply for a while, better prod me. I don't check this too often, but I'm going to flag this so I will get email when someone posts here. It would be nice to have a separate 292nd thread, like this!

Pete

Hey, Pete!

Great to see you back, my friend! We are all so happy that you started our paths to connecting and to Marion for having the empowered you to do this.

Lisa,

Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to acquire a copy of the A Company photo from your family. What a gift! I would imagine there will be others in my family who will want copies, also.

Randy,

No matter how the image is to be gotten (by camera or by scanner), you need to see if you can take the photo out of the frame. Of course you will need to see if this can be done without damaging it. Assuming you can, this should get you a better quality of image depending on the camera you are using (I assume you are taking a photo of it). I have not problem scanning it for you if that is what you desire and we can definitely discuss this if that is your desire.

This offer goes to all. If you have documents or pictures that you want high quality scans of then please don't hesitate to let me know and we can discuss this. Incidentally, has anyone ever heard any more from Sam Harrison from this thread?

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=8285

Maybe Marion can send him a message to see if he wants to join the "292nd party" that we have here? :)

Thanks to all for your contributions and interest.

Gary

Gary: I sent an email to Sam a few minutes ago. I will let you know if he responds, but he may simple just reply to this topic, for I gave him the link.

Marion J Chard

Hey guys, It's great to see this topic has such recent activity. It comes at an interesting time. My grandfather, Paul Corzine, who is featured in my profile picture and the reason I posted on these boards, just passed away on February 10. He was 92 and one of the last guys that he knew of who as still around from the 292nd. He was only in the hospital a few days before he passed. As sudden as it was, it was also a blessing that there was so little suffering he had to endure. The funeral was a nice time of remember him and everyone he had touched and helped over the years. Services ended at the graveside with a lovely military honors display from the VFW where they presented my grandmother with the flag from the casket. It was really great. One of his favorite things to do was to go to funerals and visitations to chat and talk with people for hours. He'd have been proud of this one.

As my mom goes through her parents house looking for his will and other important papers (FYI, you should really tell your kids where you put things like that!), she's finding many more photos we had never seen before. Once everything is settled down I will hopefully be able to scan those in and add to the others I put online. They will be found here when I get them online https://www.flickr.com/photos/129969616@N08/ and I'll be sure to update my thread about them when i get them up.

I thankfully have several hours of video footage where I interviewed my grandpa about his WWII experiences and now that he's gone I will eventually make myself sit down and finish editing them so i can share his stories with all of you fine folks.

That's the only update I have for now. It's great to see everyone connecting and sharing.

-SaM Harrison

Sam, so nice to have you back and thank you for sharing more about your grandfather. So sorry to hear of his passing, but so glad to hear that among things, you actually recorded much of his history. Bravo! I wish more and more people would do that before it's too late. I get so many letters of regret from people on a daily basis and it's always so sad to hear about it. They come to me to see if I can help and fill in the blanks. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.

We look forward to seeing everything you have in the future.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 139,979 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,537 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,126 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 59,827 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,192 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,526 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,113 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,503 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,929 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,907 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM