World War II's Army Eng Fire Fighting Platoons

Hello 540th Engineers,

Jim Davis from Maui, Hawaii here. In our Big One I was a member of te 1204th Army Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany.

Aloha,

Jim

Hi 540th Engineers,

In WW II the Army deployed overseas maybe 300 tiny units (1 officer and 28 enlisted men) called Engineer Fire Fighting Platoons (EFFPs), the Army's overseas fire departments. The first ten, the 1201st through the 1210th were activated in August 1942 and the frst four (1201, 1202, 1204 & 1205) were deployed (to North Africa - Casablanca, Rabat and Oran) in early April 1943. In May came 1203, 1206, 1207 and 1208 - Algiers and possibly Bizerte and Tunis. Since Army historians do not create unit histories for units smaller than Battalion size these 300 Platoons are lost in the war's records.

Those of you who served in Sicily may have come across the 1206th and the 1208th. And those of you makng the Anzio beachead may have met the 1206th. We of the 1204th may have met some of you on the beaches of Southern France on 15 August 1944. Did any of your units build the railroad bridge (a Bailey triple/triple) over the Durance River at Myraguesse?

This story is let me ask "did you ever run across any of these EFFPs"? If you did how about contacting me at r11@maui.net to tell me about your meetings.

Thank you and Aloha,

Jim Davis, Member and Historian

1204th Army Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon

World War II

Jim; I as a member of the 34th Divn. Sorry to say, I never heard of a

Fire Fighting Unit where we were at. At Salerno or Anzio the only fire

we didn't see just heard, going overhead. Maybe if there is a way

thatyou could contact someone from the FAMOUS 100th Bn. , ( they

were from ALOHA land), they might be able to help. Rocky

Welcome aboard! I remember reading about army firefighting in this post not too long ago. I'm glad that folks such as yourself are keeping the memory of groups like this alive that otherwise would have succumbed to the black hole of time.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Welcome Mr. Davis! Glad to see you here. I'm in Fayetteville, West Virginia.

Brooke

Aloha Jim:

Glad to see you were finally able to post on the forum. Have enjoyed our email correspondence over the last few weeks. A warm welcome to you. It's great to have yet another WWII vet right here. What an honor.

Many hugs,

M

:wub:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Jim:

Saw you had two intro posts in this section, so I combined them for ya! :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard

Welcome aboard! I remember reading about army firefighting in this post not too long ago. I'm glad that folks such as yourself are keeping the memory of groups like this alive that otherwise would have succumbed to the black hole of time.

Captain Todd:

Thanks for posting that for Jim. Great reply. For the sake of newbies, I have pasted the link to the other post right here. Some people may miss the underlined link, especially newbies.

Jim: Here's the link you can click on to see the other post from the firefighter vet here on our site.

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?show...amp;#entry19910

M's note 6-7-08: Jim and Leroy (from above link) already know each other...

Marion J Chard

Hi Rocky,

If not on Anzio's D-Day, the day after the 1206th EFFP now known as the 1206th Engineer Composite Platoon - Fire Administration/Fire Control went ashore. Reportedly on the first night or two on the beach the Platoon took a number of casualties including several deaths. The 1206th ended its war with participation in the North Appenines and Po Valley Campaigns.

To all of you who answered my first post, Mahalo (Hawaiian for thank you). The EFFPs are not the only units of WW II whose story the Army has not told. There are scores if not hundreds of small units that are not known. And the Army's Provisional units even the Army can't speak of. They are lost forever.

From Maui, Hawaii,

Aloha,

Jim

Thought I would add, Jim already knows Leroy (re the link to the other firefighter). They met a while back before I met either one of them.
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello From Alexandria, VA Interested in Engineer Aviation Firefighting Platoons 90th_history 7 7,434 12-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Polar Bear Association of World War II yankeeal 1 4,129 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter