Bob Feland & Cliff Duncan - 540th Combat Engs

Oooo-weeee, listen to this. I'll explain how I obtained this later, for I have to get ready for work... This is so cool.

You can click on the LISTEN box on the page when you get there!

http://www.prairiepublic.org/programs/date...0106/010206.jsp

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

And now for the full story...

Here is the first email from the neighbor of Clifford Duncan, one of my 540th'ers.

4-28-08

Marion -

First, I would like to take a moment to tell you what a great site you have built around such great and heroic men. I hate to think what our world be like if it were not for them.

Second, my neighbor is Cliff Duncan. Recently, he shared with an advance preview of the documentary you are putting together and I say bravo! Over the years Dunc has shared many stories with me about his service and his times with the Engineers. His stories are always interesting and usually embellished with limericks I'm sure were shared with his comrades better than 60 years ago. He and Eloise are great people who have been extremely good my family and me. While they may be slowing down a bit, their health is generally pretty good. About a week ago he came over on his Gator and while we were talking he mentioned that there were only 4 of the original 1200 members of the 540th left. I replied that that was a pretty good feat and that he might want to buy a lottery ticket. He got a laugh from that.

I am sending you link that is really interesting. It is an interview Dunc gave to a local historian and can be found at:

www.ohnarratives.org/mywar/

Where it asks to choose a library, drop down and choose Pemberville. His mug is the first you'll see. It's in two parts, but it is pretty darn good. Thought you might be interested to see it.

Thanks for your time and God bless.

Jim Heckman

====================================

I was so delighted to get his email, for it had been a very long time since I had heard from Cliff. I always snail-mail he and his wife all the newsletters and updates, but haven't heard anything back in quite a while. Cliff was one of the first 540th'ers I had the pleasure of meeting, and we talked several times on the phone. A man of real gusto with a hearty sense of humor. It was easy to love him!

But, I only had a few brief letters from him, and not much REAL info on his entire time spent overseas. Now I have a complete story to add to the site and to use in my documentary, so I am very thrilled!

The above link does NOT currently work, for the site had a server crash, and they are frantically working to get everything restored. However, I wrote to them, and they are sending me a complete copy on DVD and have given me permission to use it. :clappin: I will share with you as soon as I can.

Many thanks to:

Allan Gray

Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)

181 1/2 S. Main St.

Bowling Green, OH 43402

========================

Here is a second email from the neighbor of Clifford Duncan:

Marion -

Just a note thanking you for the reply to my note from yesterday. I will certainly pass on your regards to the Duncan's. I am sure Dunc will be very happy and excited to learn of your interest in the interview he gave - just as I am. Over the years, the Duncan's have become more like grandparents than neighbors to my family and me. I've known them forever (moved next to them when I was 5 yrs. old and am now 45), and, as I said previously, they're great people. I took care of their lawn for years when I was younger and now my son is ready to begin helping out around their place. Indeed, it seems that history does repeat itself.

As a teacher, I can say your site contains valuable educational information for anyone lucky enough to find it!

Thanks again,

Jim

P.S. I found another interview of a 540th engineer (or a medic attached to the 540th) named Bob Feland about a year ago. It can be read at:

http://www.scottnelsonart.com/index.php?op...20&Itemid=5

or listened to (in a couple of parts, I think) at:

http://www.prairiepublic.org/programs/date...0106/010206.jsp

=========================

Well as you can see, I am very excited about having all this new information. What a great day! This is a first for me, for I do not have anything from a 540th medic's perspective, so it makes it even more special.

Please note, there is an error regarding North Africa in Bob Feland's story. It should read SAFI and not St Raphael. St Raphael was their landing area in Southern France.

I wrote to Scott Nelson this morning, and asked if Bob was still alive. I would love to get in touch with him and/or his family. Will let you know what transpires...

Marion J Chard

Yippee! Heard back from Scott this afternoon. How cool is this? Am providing his letter below, but removed Bob Feland's personal info for sake of privacy:

Marion,

Bob is alive and well and speaks freely about his time in the service. I

think somtimes its hard for him to believe he actually went through what

he did and sharing his memories is his way of coming to terms with that

point of his life so many years ago. Bob farmed and ranched, also shoed

horses, shoed his last horse in his early eighties, had to quit cause of

bad knees. Bob had a chance to go overseas to see the places he had been

during the war and Bob said "NO WAY", he had seen way too much during the

war and never wants to see those countries again.

One of Bobs most treasured items is a picture of General Mark Clark

personaly pinning on his Silver Star at Anzio.

(info removed for privacy)

I may see Bob today, will let him know you will be contacting him.

Sincerly, Scott

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,381 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  CIB's being awarded to com engs Walt's Daughter 156 189,926 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Robersabel
  Sam Consolo 540th Combat Engineer - looking for buddies Walt's Daughter 15 11,021 05-18-2015, 09:10 AM
  Harlan Holm - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,643 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM
  36th Engs - Fort Bragg 1942 Yearbook Walt's Daughter 4 7,249 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
  Cliff Duncan media file - 540th Combat Eng Walt's Daughter 3 5,439 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
  Clayton D. Gard - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,486 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM
  John P. Korab 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,017 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
  HQ 2832 Engs (540th) Rhine River Crossing Walt's Daughter 1 3,332 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  Franklin Wisor - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,097 04-17-2006, 12:41 AM