NEW - Sitreps - 36th Engineers

Thanks so much M1. I'll have time to download and look at the NARA letter tonight.

The Presidential Unit Citation (for the entire regiment) that I'm referring to was posted on March 24, 2007. Its in the WWII Engineers, CIB thread, last reply on page two. The award was exciting news for me, and Captain Fallon knew nothing about it so I mailed him a copy. In his opinion the document is not authentic but the 36th Engineers did receive the Meritorious Unit Citation. As far as I know only Co H was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation. ??

Peanuts

I went to this topic on the CIB and couldn't find anything dated March 24th. Sorry I am lost, can you please give the direct link. This forum is way to big to try and find things quickly.

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?showtopic=3446

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I went to this topic on the CIB and couldn't find anything dated March 24th. Sorry I am lost, can you please give the direct link. This forum is way to big to try and find things quickly.

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?showtopic=3446

The link you provided above is correct. Click on page 2 and go to Post #50 (twobisquit) at the bottom of the page.

Thank you dear. So much going on here and my head has been in a continuous spin.

Here is the document you speak of and you are correct, this is definitely NOT an official document, but looks like it was typed up by someone and placed within the 36th's history. My advice to all, unless army docs are dated and signed, they are not official.

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?act=...ost&id=1382

As you stated, a PUC was awarded to H Co.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Glad you found the document and thanks for setting the record straight. Did you also see Post #48 on the same page? (Sorry, I have not figured out how to do direct links to posts.) This looks like an official letter dated 30 July 1944 from Truscott - a fine tribute to 36th Engineers regarding the CIB. I believe its authentic although wonder why there's no signature.

Captain Fallon sent me a copy of the Meritorious Unit Commendation but I don't have a scanner to upload it here. Let me know and I will mail it to you.

Hi.. I just caught up on the conversation.

The PUC, Truscott' s letter and the Brittish 5th division letter were scanned from some copies sent to me from Joe Medina. When I scanned them I cut the left margin so it would not show the plastic binder that held them together. I have my original copy in front of me and it apears to be cut off at the bottom where it would have been stamped and signed. There is no date, but to me it looks as though it was donee on a computor by the font. Evidently someone had a spiral bound collection of this stuff. I thought Joe told me that he had gotten it from John Fallon but I am not sure. I questioned Joe about the PUC last year and he was sure about it. I'll ask if he has a ribbon or any thing else . I guess I had better ask him if that was his spiral notebook.

I'll post the Army Boards' reponse to my Dad's hearing for the CIB soon.

Meanwhile if anyone wants to PM your email to me, I can send Jpeg copies.

Chris

John Fallon heard that Truscott had recommended the CIB but had never seen that letter. The PUC was new to him and he pointed out that it would have been signed and dated by the Adjutant General, the misspelling of Mediterranean, and the number of campaigns was not eight. The Regiment got nine Campaign Stars and the Group got one (Central Europe). Also this citation is for the Regiment and runs up to May 1945. The 36th stopped being a Regiment in Feb 1945 and became a Group. The Group would have to earn its own citations even though they can wear those of its predecessor.

I missed seeing the British 5th Division letter. Where is it posted?

Good luck with the CIB hearing.

Evidently the PUC was in the process of being done so it looks like one more thing for my congressman to do.

Here's the letter fron the Brittish 5th Army and also the commendation. Is anyone familiar of the route to go to get an official commendation for framing? ( bet I know the answer to that one. :rolleyes: )

brittish5thdivision.jpg

commendation.jpg

Wow. Thanks Twobisquit. Great letter from the 5th Division and the commendation is the same one Captain Fallon sent to me. I suppose you could write to the Pentagon or Adjutant General's office and be very very patient getting them to print an official one suitable for framing.

I don't understand why the commendation took until 1989 to be issued. Also it runs up to May 1945 but Captain Fallon explained that the citation was for the Italian Campaign, all Regiment. (Although it doesn't specify that.)

Do you have any other official documents to share regarding the 36th Engineers?

That is about all I have. Everything I have came from, Joe Medina and I always assumed he got it from Capt. Fallon. There could be some things with my Dad's stuff but I do not have access to that. :armata_PDT_19:

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  36th Combat Engineers Regt but which company C or G? ggent001 5 6,899 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Band of Brothers - Carl Henn (Story of the 36th Engineers' Band) Bob Nokes 4 4,947 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,586 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  36th Engineers on LCI (L) 591 9 Aug 1944 Wendy 5 5,466 06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Photos found - 36th Engineers in Vesoul Walt's Daughter 0 3,023 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
  NEW! Sitreps - 540th Engineers October 1944 Walt's Daughter 7 7,159 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
  14th and 19th Engineers - The "old" 36th! Walt's Daughter 0 2,144 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
  The 36th Engineers Still going strong today! Walt's Daughter 0 1,987 08-11-2006, 07:01 AM