Signs in Belgium

CurtusShoup-1.png

Curtis Shoup

regards

Reg

The Life of a Man Who Hated War - Curtis Shoup

By Lt. Robert J. Watson

I-346

I knew this man - Curtis Shoup - very well. We lived near one another and graduated together from Oswego, New York High School, our birthdays and ages were only three months apart.

Curtis was a quiet, unassuming person, his boyish looks reflecting his age. He was an excellent student and while he did not participate much in sports, he was strong and graded well in strength tests. Curtis Shoup's father was a Baptist minister and the son hoped some day to emulate his father.

After our graduation in 1940, our paths split for several years. So it must have been fate that brought us together again in August 1944 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. That month he was assigned to my unit, Company I, 346th Regiment.

We had many memories to share and warmly renewed our acquaintance. Although he hated war, Curtis proved to be a fine soldier. He was trained as a Browning Automatic Rifleman, carrying and firing the weapon both in training and in combat. His proficiency and dedication brought him promotions to staff sergeant and he became an assistant squad leader. Although war was not to his liking, he realized that someday he might have to kill or be killed.

On 7 January 1945 seven days before his 24th birthday, the temperature in Belgium dived to near zero. In fact for five days before 7 January, the temperature and visibility consistently stayed around zero. In this situation, we Americans were at a terrible disadvantage. That's because the Germans had selected their area of concentration and did not need much additional observation. Day after day, they rained down tank and machine-gun fire from the east-end of the village steadily depleting our forces and keeping us pinned down.

Unable to dig in, the heat of our prone bodies melted the snow, penetrating our clothing and actually freezing us in place. Our weapons operated erratically, while German snipers picked off anybody who raised his head. Under these conditions, our advance was painfully slow, exacting an exorbitant cost in blood.

On the fourth day of being pinned down in the snow and bitter cold, Company I was achieving a small advance when it encountered withering fire from two German machine guns and some mortars. Curtis Shoup was able to spot one of the machine guns but because of the terrain, was unable to draw a bead on it with his BAR.

He tried to run to a more advantageous position but ran into a hail of machine-gun fire. Then, to the amazement of all of us, he stood up straight and fired from the hip at one machine gun. Hit again, he somehow managed to crawl toward the machine gun and drop a grenade, destroying the nest. Although mortally wounded, he was actually attempting to destroy the second machine gun when a sniper took his life.

Those who saw it all will never forget this incredible, unselfish act. Inspired by his sacrifice, our company fought house to house under extremely heavy fire and finally captured Tillet. Our five-day siege had started with ninety enlisted men and five officers. At the end, we had thirty-five enlisted men and one officer, myself.

Why does one person sacrifice his life to save others? That question has preyed on my mind for over half a century. We will never have answers and we certainly will never know how many fatalities would have been caused if Staff Sergeant Curtis Shoup had never risen up and sacrificed his life.

Other courageous Americans played key roles in overcoming the tenacious enemy in this battle. They included but were not limited to 1st Lt. Glen Doman, a fine officer from K Company, who won the Distinguished Service Cross for exceptional bravery in the battle. Lt. Bill O'Donnell, now a Monsignor of the Catholic Church, who jumped on a disabled German tank and directed fire at the enemy, winning the nation's third highest award, the Silver Star. Erasmus Pistone of the Third Battalion medical detachment, who was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for administering first aid under fire.

Curtis Shoup was the only member of the 87th Infantry Division to have received the United State's highest military award as American troops fought to lift the yoke of Nazi tyranny.

Curtis, I know that God has already blessed you.

Hi Chris:

Good to hear from you and congrats on your new site. It's always wonderful to see other people pursue this avenue. Thanks for remembering our vets and carrying on their memories.

I'll be happy to add your site to the main site when I get the chance.

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Reg:

What a touching account.

Why does one person sacrifice his life to save others? That question has preyed on my mind for over half a century. We will never have answers and we certainly will never know how many fatalities would have been caused if Staff Sergeant Curtis Shoup had never risen up and sacrificed his life.
Indeed, and just how many people from that moment on, owe their lives to him?
Marion J Chard

This is where the mg nests were .

The houses aren't there anymore .

Kopievantill002-1.jpg

Kopievantill003-1.jpg

The small village of Tillet is a part of St-Ode and is situated about 4 miles south from the signs that are shown on top of this topic.

St-Ode has fraternised with St-Mere-Eglise in Normandy .

Thank you 87 ID for your part in liberating our people , thank you Jim !

Reg

Sent to me by Jim and his friend:

Jim,

The attached pics show where the Curtis's plaque is located. It originally was a very prominent location, but now, as you can see it is sort of hidden by the new pavilion the city has erected. I am going to try to get it moved.

Please forward this to your mailing list.

Jack

===========

Here's a website photo of the plaque. It's easier to read here, than the photo below.

http://travel.nostalgiaville.com/new%20yor...wego/osw131.jpg

post-2-1209576697_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209577067_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209577073_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209577078_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   100_0653.jpg (Size: 58.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   100_0654.jpg (Size: 48.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   100_0661.jpg (Size: 53.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   100_0674.jpg (Size: 66.77 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Jim,

Great picture of our Division monument to Curtis Shoup. Mitch Kaidy and

I designed, built and installed that plaque about 7-8 years ago. The men of

the division donated about $2500 it cost. It was dedicated on Memorial Day

with a very impressive ceremony. Bob Watson, Curtis's comanding officer,

and a friend --they both grew up in Oswego --- gave the dedication speech.

I was by the site a couple of months ago and was angry at what the town has

done. The plaque is now partially hidden by a large stage they have

erected. I intend to get back there soon and talk the the mayor. I'll send

you a picture of what it looks like now.

How did you come across this picture?

Jack Foy A347

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A postcard from Belgium Walt's Daughter 0 1,810 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Tanks in Town Mons Belgium 08/30+31/2008 rudolph arruda 13 12,757 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Last Post: verow
  New Museum - Baugnez crossroads in Belgium Walt's Daughter 1 2,995 07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
  Interesting world - New friend in Belgium Walt's Daughter 18 453,472 10-08-2005, 08:49 AM