Troop Train and the Camp Croft Connection

Evocative World War II-era film following a troop train: the coordination of effort; its staging and assembly of cars, cargo and passengers; its heavily guarded journey through the American countryside; and the food, sleep, exercise, training, drilling and recreation of its soldier-passengers.

This item is part of the collection: Prelinger Archives - Public Domain

Producer: U.S. Office of War Information

Audio/Visual: Sd, B&W

http://www.archive.org/details/TroopTra1943

Found this little gem of a film while searching for possible footage on troop trains for my documentary. This was made in 1943 and even though it depicts a fictional armored division, it does show actual footage. Instead of me blabbering on (for a change), I will share the comments of others who viewed it. I plan on using some of the footage within my project, for it is public domain.

===========

Reviewer: Spuzz - - May 2, 2005

Subject: Where's Bjork when you need her?

Great little film about how one whole troops is transported. vehicles and all, across the country. Told with no narration, the film follows the load up of vehicles, the load up of men (love the fact they would have a marching band to send them off) and finally, the train is off! it goes through the country with some great shots here. Apparantly, noone has ever been in a train before as they havent seen a berth. The troops are allowed out for a bit of exercise and a bit of frolic in the sun and then it ends! Awww! I could've watched more of this, because this was fun! Reccomended!

Also, watch for the homoerotic points in the film (especially in the map scene)

Reviewer: Ron C - - April 19, 2004

Subject: Troop Train and the Camp Croft Connection

This was a worthwhile download. This 1943 movie attempts to show the viewer the activities associated with the troop movement (including equipment) of a fictional armor unit. There is little dialogue, mostly titles for narration, and lots of good railroad shots.

The reason I sought this film out was a connection it has with Camp Croft, a former US Army Infantry Replacement Training Center located in South Carolina. At about the mid-point of the movie, a band (Croft's 2nd IRTC Band/163d Army Band) is shown and I assume the music is theirs as well. Troops moving past the band are from the 40th Infantry Training Battalion and the camp is shown in the background. A really neat find!

Reviewer: cashel - - September 27, 2003

Subject: reality

honest telling of a vital world war 2 story..Told in 13 minutes in b/w film without any trick or animation..

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi,

I want to see if I can buy a copy of this CAMP CROFT Video from you?

I live 15 minutes away from Camp Croft, and my grandfather trained there during WWII.

This place is Extremely important to me.

Can you please let me know?

Thank you!

Chad Jordan

864-360-1582

I really appreciate it!

Great little film about how one whole troop is transported. vehicles and all, across the country. Told with no narration, the film follows the load up of vehicles, the load up of men (love the fact they would have a marching band to send them off) and finally, the train is off! it goes through the country with some great shots here. Apparantly, noone has ever been in a train before as they havent seen a berth. The troops are allowed out for a bit of exercise and a bit of frolic in the sun and then it ends! Awww! I could've watched more of this, because this was fun! Reccomended!

Also, watch for the homoerotic points in the film (especially in the map scene)

Reviewer: Ron C - - April 19, 2004

Subject: Troop Train and the Camp Croft Connection

This was a worthwhile download. This 1943 movie attempts to show the viewer the activities associated with the troop movement (including equipment) of a fictional armor unit. There is little dialogue, mostly titles for narration, and lots of good railroad shots.

The reason I sought this film out was a connection it has with Camp Croft, a former US Army Infantry Replacement Training Center located in South Carolina. At about the mid-point of the movie, a band (Croft's 2nd IRTC Band/163d Army Band) is shown and I assume the music is theirs as well. Troops moving past the band are from the 40th Infantry Training Battalion and the camp is shown in the background. A really neat find!

Reviewer: cashel - - September 27, 2003

Subject: reality

honest telling of a vital world war 2 story..Told in 13 minutes in b/w film without any trick or animation..[/b][/size]

Hi Chad:

Welcome to our little family. Pleased to make your acquaintance. The answer to your question is yes; I will send you a copy.

Would write more tonight, but was just getting ready to turn off the computer for the night. Gotta hit the pillow! :armata_PDT_01: ZZZZZZ!

More later...

Smiles,

M

Marion J Chard
Would you like this on DVD or CD? Please let me know. I can get it out to you today or tomorrow.
Marion J Chard

Thanks for making the video available. As a little girl, I remember being held up at railroad crossings for trains. Supply trains were especially exciting to watch with tanks, trucks, half-tracks and artillery. But there were no passenger cars for the troops. I don't know where they went. This was in Southern California, the end of the line prior to shipping out for the Pacific. Also, I don't know if it's still active or not but five or six miles north of where I live and off Interstate 10 is where the largest Quartermaster Depot for the whole western U.S. is located. It was easily visible from the freeway until several acres of old vineyards were sold to make way for acres and acres of new truck terminals.

Marilyn

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I lost the link to this place. I have it saved in my favorites now. I wanted to see if I can get it on DVD.

Please let me know what i owe you.

I really appreciate it.

I am trying to collect up CAMP CROFT items too (a little bit, for what I can afford).

Thank you!!

Chad Jordan

(email removed for privacy's sake)

864-360-1582

I will try and get a copy off to you this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem.

Glad you found us again. It's getting easier and easier because we rank right up there in the search engines, including Google. Praise be to Google! :frown:

How's $5.00 sound? That includes shipping too! I try and make it easy for my fellow engineer buddies. We are one big happy family. :love:

Oh, btw, just a word to the wise; don't post your email directly on ANY site. It's the best and easiest way to get SPAMMED. Any member of our site can contact you directly, by clicking on your name, if they are logged in. It's a safety and privacy precaution.

The best to ya,

M1

Marion J Chard

Bad news right now.... For some ungodly reason, I cannot write to any of my DVD drives. It works with ProShow Producer, for I can create my documentary DVD's, but I cannot copy or burn with any of my other programs. Sorry, I will have to figure this out when I am calm and have more time. I am ready to scream.

Anyhow... You can go directly to the site I have listed above and look on the left hand side of the screen under downloads. Right click on any of the appropriate files, and download directly to your computer. Hey, this way it's free and you can do it today.

Call me frustrated in Alger...

M1

Marion J Chard