Back to my days as a Combat Engineer

Yes, believe it or not this old Infantry Dogface started off in Combat Engineer Basic training in WW 2. How well I remember my basic training with the "knot obsticle course", demolation training, booby trap and land mine training, and all the rest of the Combat Engineering training till damn near done with Basic. Then suddenly due to high infantry casualties in the ETO we were , without further adeau shipped to Camp Howze TX for 6 weeks of Advanced Infantry Training and over to France as Infantry Riflemen. Actually I found the Combat Engineer training more ardous than the Infantry training I recieved at Camp Howze.

Some long marches and bayonet and unarmed combat training along with calestenics but a lot of weapons

training of all Infantry weapons. All in all they tried to pack in a lot of training in the less than 12 weeks of Engineering training plus 6 weeks more of Infantry training. I know some had more training prior to going into Infantry combat, but also some had less training. The life as a Infantry rifleman replacement was not usually easy as one did not go into as a division or group but bits at a time to outfits who had casualties and needed replacements. Luckily I was buddied up with a "old timer" who had almost 2 months of combat time since joining the company. From him I did learn a lot in a hurry Anyway, my luck held for the duration and I lived and learned.

Dearest Joe:

Thank you SO much for sharing that memory. I truly appreciate it, especially in light of the documentary I am making.

I do remember you bringing this up so long ago, but alas, my memory escapes me too, so mucho gratias for bringing it to my attention once more.

Much love and happy Easter,

M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberation days sixgun 7 8,158 10-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Stalin Gets his City Back Walt's Daughter 0 2,083 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Looking back - a Wave's memories Walt's Daughter 0 1,837 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  German town asks WWII vets to come back Walt's Daughter 1 2,806 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  4th Division - Push Back German Offensive Walt's Daughter 0 1,866 03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
  Aviation Days chucktoo1926 3 4,490 10-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926
  Hilter's Last Days Walt's Daughter 1 79,835 05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Reg from the Bulge