Army Patches

What's the highest rank available?

In the US Army, Air Force and Navy, the highest rank is an O-11 - General of the Army or Air Force and Fleet Admiral. Although there were men who had this rank prior to WWII (Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan) there was no 5 star rank. The first time the 5 star rank was worn was during WWII.

The reciepients were:

• Adm William D. Leahy December 15, 1944

• Gen George C. Marshall 16 December 1944

• Adm Ernest King December 17, 1944

• Gen Douglas MacArthur 18 December 1944

• Adm Chester Nimitz December 19, 1944

• Gen Dwight D. Eisenhower 20 December 1944

• Gen Henry H. Arnold 21 December 1944

• Adm William Halsey December 11, 1945

• Gen Omar Bradley 20 September 1950

No doubt their date of rank was carefully planned out. These men held that rank until retirement so you had big Mac wearing his in Korea. Marshall retired in 1945. Eisenhower was chief of staff of the Army until 48 then became Supreme Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization before becoming president. Arnold had four heart attacks during the war requiring hospitalization so he retired right after the war. Bradley was not actually promoted during WWII but afterward when he became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Of course those in power at the time were wise enough to not grant this to any Marine general or who knows what would have happened!

post-449-1205509300_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   5_star.JPG (Size: 3.28 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Oh sheesh, just when I started to lose a few pounds! :frown: Well at least underneath it all I could feel skinny!

Okay no offense to Capt Todd, but I'll have to stick with the Army and honor our dads, so you can make me a five-star general. I like the sounds of that. Actually though my husband said I make a kick-ass sargeant. I like that even better! :pdt12: Okay men (and women), fall in line, hup, hup!

KICK ASS SARGEANT IS BEST CAUSE YOU WOULD BE RIGHT ALONGSIDE US and not

in the rear echelon.

M-1 YOUR HUSBAND MADE A GOOD CALL. :armata_PDT_37:

just a used to be muddy dogface!!!

Thanks Rocky, would be mighty honored to be in a foxhole right by your side. I like to get my hands dirty anyway. And if we get stuck in the foxholes for a long time, I can plant some flowers right alongside. They're good for the soul. :wub: Hey and I'm a damned good cook too. Now where'd that dag-nabbit rabbit go?
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I agree, Rock. Sergeant was a great rank. Unfortunately, when I was a Sgt. I didn't have any troops to lead due to my specialty (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Warfare Defense [NBCD]). There were only me and a SSgt in my section so there wasn't a lot of troop leading to be done.

On the officer side I must say that my time as a captain has been pretty good. I got to be a infantry platoon commander (platoon leader in army lingo) in Iraq and platoon commander for two different comm platoons since then. As of last June I transferred to the Division's Higher Headquarters (HHQ), the Second Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF.) It's been a lot of staff work since then and I see no relief in the near future. Once I get to be a major there are still a few good jobs for commo's out there but mostly its staff work. :pdt33:

225px-II_MEF_insignia.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thanks Rocky, would be mighty honored to be in a foxhole right by your side. I like to get my hands dirty anyway. And if we get stuck in the foxholes for a long time, I can plant some flowers right alongside. They're good for the soul. :wub: Hey and I'm a damned good cook too. Now where'd that dag-nabbit rabbit go?

don't worryabout the rabbit---I'll get another chicken. thing is you gotta

skin it. yuk.,yuk,yuk, Flowers around a foxhole, what a hell of a good idea !!! All we

had were rocks. They were good cause when we smoked, we (each in his foxhole)

would throw our blanket over us so the lit cig. couldn't be seen. blew smoke towards

bottom. there went the theory of the flowers. It was pure hell when it rained or

snowed up on the North Appenines. Just thinking of what you just said--being in a

foxhole hole with me. To me it is an honor for you to say that about me. Rocky

Roque: I imagine it was the same for you buddy on the shoulder patch bit but all we used was our divisioanal patches. Fact is our clean clothes sent up were without patches stripes or anything. For "dress up" after the war we did wear our regimental crests on our blouse. To most of us line dogfaces , Corp or Army patches reeked of behind the lines people in most cases. So, whats your take on this bit Roque.

Joe; You are right on the money on this one. Dress was woolens and Ike jacket.

What kind of combat boots did you have. Mine were the rough leather and had a

hell of a time cleaning them. Your right, only people in the rear wore other patches.

Damn Joe, you're making me go back 63 years. And I truly believe that

GOD has blessed you and me. Take care----Roque

Right Roque. Rough leather with the 2 buckles on the flap for the boots. Sure did beat the old canvas lace up leggings though. Took forever to put on those damn canvas leggings on. And yes, the Good Lord does

watch over us. I had a weeks stay in the hospitsl, getting out about 10 days ago and today was out in the ATV in the woods clearing the deadfall from the trails from the last storm. Will probably feel it by tomorro though.

I do hope you are OK now, JUST DON'T OVERDO,but I think it's like talking

to a tornado. Can you imagine, I go to the Vets Medical Center, Sunday

Easter for an MRI. Had one done 6 months ago and they found a spot

behind my left ear so they want to check it again. Man there went my

Easteregg hunt. Leggins, We got rid of them going overseas, I agree

with you, they were a pain in the -------s. I think the only ones that wore

them were the MPS. Again take care, it was awful nice to hear from you

again. God Keep Blessing you and yours. Roque

Joe: Oh gee, should have known something was up. Sorry to hear about your hospitalization, but glad you are home again and can enjoy your deer and such. My best to you.

Rocky: Good luck on your MRI. I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless both of you, for the forum wouldn't be the same without you guys. :love:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"