Army Patches

The Alpha sector landings was where the 36th Engineers landed with the 3rd Inf Div

Camel sector was where the 540th and 48th Engineers landed with the 36th Inf Div

The 3rd, 45th and 36th Divs (and engineers) were under direct jurisdication of VI Corp during initial landing and advancement.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey, M,

I just noticed that you are about a week away from hitting your 8000th post! Holy cow! I bet you wonder where the time has gone!

You should make yourself a General of the Armies or Field Mashal or something!

Wow, I hadn't noticed that. Too busy typing T! :armata_PDT_01: No I really don't know where the time was gone. In fact I was just writing about that in the article I'm composing for Army Engineer Magazine. I can't believe this will be my third inclusion for that mag. And to think four years ago I was typing names in search engines on GOOGLE and trying to find out the NAME of my dad's unit. WOW! :blink:

Marion J Chard

The 3rd, 36th, and 45th, all had engineers, there is no mention of the 34th.

I quess we were shoved in somewhere..But the 34th did make three

landings. Algiers No. Africa-Salerno- ANZIO.

CaptO--I wasn't an engineer or a grunt--JUST A PLAIN DOGFACE PFC

BY ACT OF CONGRESS.

No the 34th weren't mentioned above because this was related to the Invasion of Southern France. :armata_PDT_01:
Marion J Chard

THANK YOU ,,,THIS IS WHY YOU ARE NO.1 M-1 Rocky :armata_PDT_23:

In the case of Operation Dragoon (by the way, there is a great article in Military History Quarterly on Op Dragoon - I will post it in the near future)

Well the scan of the MHQ article on Dragoon turned out to be 2.38 MB so never mind. Anyway, it's in the Winter 2008 issue if you are interested.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien
We don't have a subscription to it, but I'm sure they will post it on their site once the next issue comes out. Maybe I can copy it then. :pdt34:
Marion J Chard

Great post Capt O! My dad's MP company was also assigned directly to VI Corps and under whoever the commanding Army was - 5th Army in Italy, 7th army in France. He was always "VI Corps" and would wear that patch, but also either 5th or 7th army patches.

I have all three patches in his footlocker along with the american flag armband that was worn by American forces on the August 15th D-day landing in Southern France. I imagine they wore the armband to be distinguished from the french forces who landed with them. Was that the reason, does anyone know?

Here's the" VI Corps (American) of the 5th Army" Order Of Battle for 1943.

It shows the separate infantry divisions - the 3rd, the 34th, and the 45th (which would of course have their own attached units) and then all the individual units assigned directly

to the Corps - the FA, engineers,quartermaster units, tank destroyer battalions, medical battalion, signal battalions etc. As you can see, there were 2 military police companies,

my Dad's 206th MP Co and 504th MP Battalion's Co "A" that were directly under VI Corps command.

http://www.milhist.net/ordbat/6corpsus.html

What's the highest rank available? that's what we should give Marion! We should get her a uniform with the ranks, insignias, unit designations of all our folks! M1 - Honorary Infantry, Field Artillery, Medic, bomb disposal unit, fighter pilot, military police, anti-aircraft battalion, glider pilot etc etc. Add all the "fruit salad" and she'd be so weighed down, we'd have to tote her around! :D

mary ann

Oh sheesh, just when I started to lose a few pounds! :frown: Well at least underneath it all I could feel skinny!

Okay no offense to Capt Todd, but I'll have to stick with the Army and honor our dads, so you can make me a five-star general. I like the sounds of that. Actually though my husband said I make a kick-ass sargeant. I like that even better! :pdt12: Okay men (and women), fall in line, hup, hup!

Marion J Chard