William F. Buckley Jr.

I was awed by William F. Buckley from the age of 13 when "Firing Line" debuted on TV. His debates were mesmerizing - that incredible intellect & amazing vocabulary (and wit)!

Though not always in agreement with him, I certainly admired him.

Here are some of his memorable quotes:

I would like to electrocute everyone who uses the word "fair" in connection with income tax policies.

Liberals, it has been said, are generous with other people's money, except when it comes to questions of national survival, when they prefer to be generous with other people's freedom and security.

I'd rather trust the government of the United States to the first 400 people in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University.

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.

Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but they are shocked and offended to discover that there ARE other views.

There is an inverse relationship between reliance on the state and self reliance.

(and my personal favorite):I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence.

m2

Great post and I personally like, "Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.", for I just finished commenting about this very thing before reading this quote here this evening. I posted a reply in the Anything goes section, regarding being 17 and idealistic, and stated that it's easy to be an idealistic at a young age, but when one grows in years and wisdom, those beliefs normally fly out the window, because they no longer hold on to realism. AMEN!

When one of my friends commented about my optimistic nature and said I was stupid, I quipped, "No, I am now an realistic optimist! My feet are squarely rooted on the ground, but my eyes still look up to the skies!"

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"