1st Special Service Force

MOOSE ; That was Hollywood. I think there is still a question as to who were the

first in Rome. I never went there. Rocky

This link has a map of the entire Italian Front at the time of the Spring Offensive on 11 May 1944.

Gustav Line

I agree with Rocky about the movie "Anzio".

This 1968 movie stars Robert Mitchum as a war correspondent who joins up with Peter Falk, who plays a corporal in the 1st Special Service Forces. They borrow a jeep and drive to Rome and back without meeting any German forces, but their report on this absence of the enemy is discounted.

Robert Mitchum is a tough guy. If he had REALLY been there in 1944, then I'm sure the Allies could have waltzed into Rome. Ha!

If you read the history books and the Monday-morning Quarterbacks, they say that Lucas could have pushed directly into Rome without any heavy resistance. Maybe. My opinion is that if he had done that, then the battle would have been fought in the streets of Rome and someone would have resorted to shelling or bombing of the Eternal City. I do believe he should have pushed out of the beaches and into the Alban Hills.

The above comments are my personal opinnions and do not reflect the opinions of the management.

:pdt12:

Steve

Steve: Great post! Let me rant on here too; while it is oh so easy for all of us to Monday-morning quarterback, I think it has been a consistent opinion that Lucas held back in the VERY beginning, and froze for way too long. Even though it was for a short period, we DID have the advantage and the forestalling only brought on more misery, death, casualties and the lengthening of the Anzio campaign. Pretty much everything I have read about the campaign will substantiate that point of view. We became quagmired and at that point it was a hopeless situation. I think we allowed the German lines to become even stronger and of course because of terrain and other factors, their strength only grew.

It certainly was NOT a reflection of the American fighting spirit, nor the tenacity of the American soldier. Given the circumstances, the American soldier shone like a bright light. It certainly is a testament to their fortitude.

When I think about Anzio, it sometimes sickens me, and to this day knowing what I know, cannot believe that we survived. God bless them all. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I must begetting senile. I thought it was about Rome.

ANZIO!! The 34th had a hand in it. B.T.D.T.

'Winnie' was not a happy bunny :armata_PDT_19: , regarding the cautious Gen. Lucas.

In other news, I signed up for my next on-line class for my WWII masters program. It will be WWII in the Pacific and starts in February. So I might I might have some interesting history to add to the conversation as I do my reading. The book I'm reading right now,

How interesting!

Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides (sp?)

With the Old Breed, E.B. Sledge

Oh God, Where are You?, Abie Abraham

Are also very good Pacific Theatre books.

I am about 30 pages shy of finishing With the Old Breed. You weren't kidding; that is a great book!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Guess what I came across tonight? While perusing the latest issue of America in WWII Magazine, I found a lengthy article, The Devil's Brigade. Talk about timely, qui?

I shall copy it this week and post it here for all to read.

Happy browsing,

M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Capt O, The Old Breed is intense to say the least. I'm so glad that he and others like him were able to put their eperiences out there because the world should NEVER be allowed to forget.

My mom who watched The War with me (which is where I learned of the book) wanted to read it, too. She barely got through a third of it and refused to go any farther, said she couldn't read two pages with out bawling her eyes out.