344th or 334th Engineers?

Dear Lisa:

Glad to hear from you and happy that you've found out more information in the interim.

First off your father's unit was an independent unit like my father's and therefore was not part of a division. So you can stop driving yourself crazy looking for further information regarding this. These independent units were often referred to as "bastard" units. Some times they were attached to corps, divisions, or other regiments, etc.,

The patch with the 6 was VI Corps, the patch with steps was 7th Army, the patch with the number 5 beneath it was 5th Army. So it looks like your dad's unit pretty much followed the basic footsteps that my dad's unit took through Europe. My father's unit, the 540th were pretty much always a part of VI Corps. They were 7th Army in Sicily, 5th Army in Italy and with the 7th Army again for France and until the end of the war.

Do not feel discouraged by his discharge papers. Errors were a common occurrence and my father's were no exception. Errors can be corrected, but be prepared for a long haul.

However, let's take care of first things first. You need to contact the Army Corps of Engineer's and request his unit's records. This really varies from unit to unit and there is no telling how much information their is on the 344th, but it's worth a try. For instance I was able to acquire a lot of information on my dad, along with a complete history, photos, rosters of commendation, roster of casualties, etc. It was quite a gold mine for me.

Next you need to get in touch with NARA in College Park, Maryland. There will be fees for materials requested here, unlike the Army Corps of Engineers. You will need to provide them with your dad's unit number. Tell them you are requested any documentation that they have on the 344th General Service. It's generally better if you can give them as much as possible, so also tell them he served in the European Theatre of Operations and was of VI Corps, the 5th and 7th Armies. They will look through their records and if all goes well, will provide you with a list of the pertaining docs. I will give you the link so you can see all that is involved.

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-p...park/index.html

When I received the 540th list of docs from NARA, there were too many for them to copy for me. There is a limit on how much they are able to copy themselves, therefore my two choices were; go there myself and copy them, or hire a private researcher or research student from one of the universities to do it for me. I finally got in touch with a private researcher and gave her the list of records. She is working this week to give me an estimate of cost.

You can contact NARA in St Louis. They keep morning and unit reports there. These were not burned in the fire, only service records were, so they are available for perusal. I still have to send away for these yet myself. Ah, one thing at a time. Here is the page for this.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-...it-rosters.html

If you contact all three of these, then you should be sitting on a quite a stack of info on your dad's unit. Let me know if you have anymore questions regarding any of my suggestions.

I am also giving you the link to the Research Section on my forum. This will give you other resources at your disposal.

Research

Have you contacted this man yet?

344th Engr Regt, H &S Co

Mr. Robert Gilch 919-968-3335

740 Williams Cir

Chapel Hill, NC 27516-1526

NRR '96

I hope I covered most of your questions. If I missed something I apologize and will be happy to go over anything with you in your follow-up email.

Warmest regards,

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you very much for the information. I will start tracking the links that you have given. I appreciate all of the work that you have done, and all of the labor that you have put into this journey. My grandfathers name was Jerry Clayton Runions, and he was also in the VI Corps, 5th and 7th Armies. His ribbons were;

E.A.ME. Theater ribbon with 5 bronze stars per WDGO#33/45 with one bronze service arrowhead. Good conduct ribbon/H.Q. 344th Engineers/45. The American campaign ribbon and the W.W.II Victory medal. I have enjoyed this site and look forward to adding more as I can. I WAS IN THE 844TH combat engineer battalion (hvy vehc. det) but was medicaly discharged. Oh Well.

Glad that you are a member of our little community. I can't wait to hear more about your grandfather and his service as an engineer. I'd also like to hear more about you.

We do have a section on the forum dedicated to engineers after WWII. Feel free to contribute your story and feelings about the subject. I see that engineering genes run in your family. :pdt20:

Thank you for your comments. You're very welcome. We're all here to help each other. Hey we have just about enough members for a "company" now. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
My uncle Morris "Murray" Magnes served in either the 334th or 344th Combat Engineers Brigade (my records on him from the USA vary and are inconsistent) from 1943 through 1945, in Naples, Foggio, Rome, Arno, Po Valley, Rhineland and Central Europe. I have had no luck in tracking down any Web sites with information on either 334 or 344 and would appreciate any help that some one could give about either/or both units.

Thanks!

Josh

Hi Josh,

My dad, Nicholas Joseph Mastrangelo was in A Company 344th engr. regt and I have a photo of 190 men at Camp Claiborne. Lousiana in 1942. I did not find your uncles name, but I looked up his info on NARA

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search...=WR26&bc=sl and saw he enlisted from Boston on 4/14/42. I have just started researching army info, so I am guessing that he may have been at Claiborne, as most of the men in my dad's photo have the same enlistment timing.

If I can help further, (email removed by Marion for sake of privacy). You can reach Janet by Forum Personal Messenger or Forum Email by clicking on her underlined User Name.

Janet

Just happened to run across this entry while doing research for something else for the month of December 1944. This is an excerpt from the daily journal report, 540th Combat Engineer Regiment:

1 December 1944 -

...GE-7 one squad was furnished to the 344th Engineers Dump at Vinsey where they stacked 14,000 board feet of 1" lumber...

2 December 1944 -

...Hauling of lumber from Contrexeville to Vincey for 344th Engineers: - stacked 9,000 linear feet of 1" lumber in the Dump at Vincey....

3 December 1944 -

...Co "B": - Bayon, France: - GE7 3-6 ton trucks, 3-20 ton trailers, 2-4 ton trucks, and 2-8 ton trailers were used to haul assorted lumber from Contrexeville to 344th Engineer Regiment Dump at Vincey. Project 100% complete...

Marion J Chard

Here is a contact for the 344th, but please note that it says, Headquarters and Service Co, but I'm sure he'd be able to assist you.

-----------------------------------------------

344th Engr Regt, H&S Co

Mr. Robert Gilch 919-968-3335

740 Williams Cir

Chapel Hill, NC 27516-1526

---------------------------------------

Marion,

I called Mr. Gilch at 919-968-3335 and it was a wrong number. Did a reverse look up for 740 Williams Circle and it comes up with no listed phone number and a different individual. Could you check your info to see if you have a different number for Mr. Gilch, would he live with family?

Thanks,

Janet

Dang! I was afraid of that. When they give out their phone numbers, and something happens such as they move, they pass away, etc., many times no one takes over the position for them. That's a real shame. Sorry about that. But I will keep my eyes open for anything else, okay.

M

Marion J Chard

Just wanted everyone to know that Janet and I created a page for her father, today

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/Nic...Mastrangelo.htm

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard

Also, we have lost contact with Lisa Ritter. Please get in touch with us again, if it's possible. I no longer have an email address or any other contact information for you.

Thanks,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  344th Engineers KDale 20 19,831 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: repbrock
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,948 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  344th Photos Walt's Daughter 3 4,701 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM
  History of the 344th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 5 9,595 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  T-4 Lloyd V. Olson - 344th Eng Gen Serv Reg Walt's Daughter 0 2,982 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
  Map of the 344th Engineers Walt's Daughter 2 4,608 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM
  John P. Belocas - 344th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 4,081 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM
  344th Engineer - Jerry Clayton Runions moegal 9 9,804 06-21-2009, 11:24 PM
  344th Engineers General Service jesse w crow 18 20,228 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Janet