Training Day, England. Sunday Jan. 20th 2008.

After I see the neurosurgeon Tuesday, my life will be a little more in focus....Then I can make decisions on whats happening in September. I have been to a lot of historic places connected with the Civil War, but Gettysburg remains my favorite. I've spent many an afternoon wandering through the fields there. I used to go every year in November for the rededication of the National Cemetery and the recreation of Lincolns speech. Its a six hour drive and the older I get, the longer it seems. I used to date a guy there....so I used to make that ride a lot.

Antietem is beautiful. The Bloody lane can be very moving to walk and contemplate what happened there.

Who knows, maybe I'll convince you to do Gettysburg as part of your trip....

I would love to go to Gettysburg someday. It really gets in my blood after I re-watch the Ken Burn's series. That is still my favorite and oh so stirring. That made me think of THE letter that one of the soldiers writes home to his wife, which is read in full during the documentary. Man, what a tear-jerker. Lee and I can never get through that part. Not only was it moving because of the loving sentiment, but his words were so elegant and eloquent. And of course, he never returns home... :unsure:

Warmly,

M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I would love to go to Gettysburg someday. It really gets in my blood after I re-watch the Ken Burn's series. That is still my favorite and oh so stirring. That made me think of THE letter that one of the soldiers writes home to his wife, which is read in full during the documentary. Man, what a tear-jerker. Lee and I can never get through that part. Not only was it moving because of the loving sentiment, but his words were so elegant and eloquent. And of course, he never returns home... :unsure:

Warmly,

M1

Marion, In the flim ' The Red Badge of Courage' was the part of 'The Loud Man' played by THE Bill Mauldin ?

Indeed, it was THE Bill Mauldin and Audie Murphy too. :pdt34:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Moose,

I first was introduced to the world of WWII in the winter 1998 issue of Military in Scale (a modeling magazine) when they did a piece on the Second Battle Group. I had some correspondence with Andrew Coburn who heads them up in around 2000 and he seemed like an amiable chap. One of the recent WWII magazines, however, did a write-up on them that was less than complimentary. They at WWII held the opinion that the SBG tended to take their interest in the Third Reich a little too seriously. From some of the pictures I saw of them back in 2000, that wouldn't come as a complete surprise although I wasn't sure if this was some bias on the part of the article writer. Have you had any experience with the SBG? What is your opinion of the German reenactors you have run into? Obviously someone has to play the bad guy or you wouldn't have much to do other than train and be a static display. I think I would probably gravitate toward German reenacting because they had the neater gear and uniforms (in my humble opinion) assuming I had the surplus cash (a lot of it) and time for that sort of thing.

What are your thoughts?

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Moose,

I first was introduced to the world of WWII in the winter 1998 issue of Military in Scale (a modeling magazine) when they did a piece on the Second Battle Group. I had some correspondence with Andrew Coburn who heads them up in around 2000 and he seemed like an amiable chap. One of the recent WWII magazines, however, did a write-up on them that was less than complimentary. They at WWII held the opinion that the SBG tended to take their interest in the Third Reich a little too seriously. From some of the pictures I saw of them back in 2000, that wouldn't come as a complete surprise although I wasn't sure if this was some bias on the part of the article writer. Have you had any experience with the SBG? What is your opinion of the German reenactors you have run into? Obviously someone has to play the bad guy or you wouldn't have much to do other than train and be a static display. I think I would probably gravitate toward German reenacting because they had the neater gear and uniforms (in my humble opinion) assuming I had the surplus cash (a lot of it) and time for that sort of thing.

What are your thoughts?

Sir, Here in the UK the German re-enactment groups vastly outnumber the Allies. One German Group boasts a membership of 400 !!

And some of the German Groups will only talk German in the field !!!!! :armata_PDT_19: and those b*****ds the SS are well represented

as well, always a talking point because they were part of WW11 history. One of our guys playing 'dead' was asked by one of these *******

' Can I shoot you in the head with my pistol ?' But having said all that the German Groups are very professional when encountered in ' battles' ect.

The BBC did an undercover investigation on them, it did not, make good viewing.This is the SBG ( Second Battle Group ) website, take a looksee. www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk

MOOSE.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veterans Day, England. 2011 ricklind 0 3,827 12-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Last Post: ricklind
  Upottery Airfield, Devon England...'Roll Call'... ricklind 2 5,647 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Remebrance Sunday. Nov 14th 2010. ricklind 0 2,854 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ricklind
  Veterans Day, England. Nov.2009. ricklind 2 4,729 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Last Post: verow
  CAMP WINCHFIELD, ODIHAM..3 DAY FIELD TRAINING EXERCISE. SEPT 2009 ricklind 5 7,112 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Littlecote House, Wiltshire, England. ricklind 2 5,421 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
  Then and Now....Tower of London, England 2009. ricklind 1 5,226 03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
  More photos from W.O.T.L. England...... ricklind 1 3,870 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
  Christmas leave, WOLT , England, Dec 2008. ricklind 3 5,474 12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
  English 'Eagles' training, Sept.2008 ricklind 9 11,121 10-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Last Post: moose