Late introduction

Hey Todd:

Was sitting here going through the 540th's regimental book, Overseas with the 540th, and when I came across one of the photos of your grandfather again I exclaimed this time, " Good morning Lt Col, I now know your son and grandson. Pretty grand!" :armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I just realized today that it's been over a year since I've been here (year +10 days exactly)!

Let me say that I have really enjoyed myself and have had a great time meeting everyone and making so many new friends from around the world.

And a big thanks to Marion for hosting this (not a cheap or easy thing to do.) This site and its sister keeps the deeds of these great men alive through extensive research and personal stories.

It also creates a place where likeminded people can sit around and shoot the bull when we aren't delving into WWII topics!

It's been a great time folks, and here's to the next year!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Feelings mutual. You sure have made your mark on this forum, and it's a pleasure. I feel as though you ARE a member of my family, since we have the 540th in common. I bet you feel as I do; wouldn't you love to be a bee or bird and spend a day with the 540th and see and feel all they did? What a thrill that would be! Ah to go back in time. If I find a time machine, I will be sure to send an invite your way.

Here's to you, your family and especially your grandfather!

Many hugs,

M1

Marion J Chard

Just read over this again. Wow - it's like a time capsule! I miss all those WWII vets!! :(

That's for sure. So many names of folks who are no longer with us. We were so fortunate to make their acquaintance, weren't we? 

Marion J Chard

Yes indeed. Even in my experience in the Marine Corps, change is an ever present reminder of the passage of time. I noticed that even from the start. As a lieutenant, I left my first unit and noted how most of the SNCOs had moved on and that Marines that had checked in as PFCs (in the Marine Corps and E-2) were now corporals. I visited that unit a few years later and didn't know anyone!

Right now I'm struck by the fact that my Marines are closer in age to my elder son (17) than they are to me - by far! The youngest Marines are 1 year older and the average is probably only 4 years older. By way of contrast, I'm older than them by an average of 21 years! Just looking at the command board is another indicator of this. Our command board has pictures of the CO, SgtMaj, company commanders, and staff heads (for the S-1, S-3, legal team, chaplain, etc.) What I am noticing now is the surprising lack of stars on the National Defense ribbons people are wearing. The National Defense Medal is authorized during times of conflict. The fact that it is awarded as soon as you join gives it the moniker the "Fire Watch Ribbon", The latest time period it was authorized was following 9/11 and is still issued to the current day. The previous time period it was issued for (and for which one would have a star on the ribbon or medal) was Desert Storm and the inclusive dates were August 2, 1990 - November 30, 1995. As I went to boot camp in Feb of 1995, I rate it and so have the star. On the rack below, it is second row, second from the right (red on ends yellow in middle).

Rack.png.2d8b5c7ebeac015492435756110c55be.png

So what this means is that the majority of people who are in senior positions in this and most battalions joined after November of 1995 - even the first sergeants!

Just another reminder of time gone by! And pretty soon, my star will be gone from the board as well! :o

Attached Files
.png   Rack.png (Size: 146.89 KB / Downloads: 0)

Does put things into perspective. Some days when I'm in the midst of people I wonder, how the hell and when the hell did I get so old. I certainly don't remember it happening! 

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction - 210th Military Police Company WWII Krogh Feuerborn 1 3,250 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Introduction Hans Senden hsenden 6 5,987 03-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Introduction belarus 2 4,932 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM
  Introduction Terri DuLong 1 3,114 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
  Introduction Jim Webb 3 4,248 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Last Post: 24th Arm'd Engr. Bn.
  Introduction BarbJ 8 13,240 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  A little late... Enrico 2 3,389 03-27-2012, 06:05 AM