Oldest U.S. WWI Vet dies

From MSNBC

TOLEDO, Ohio - J. Russell Coffey, the oldest known surviving U.S. veteran of World War I, has died. The retired teacher, one of only three U.S. veterans from the "war to end all wars," was 109.

The article states that there is only one Canadian Vet left.

My great uncle Horace was a WWI vet. I remember him talking about first time that he saw a tank when he was "over there".

Darlene

A long deserved rest for another of America's Heroes. May he rest in Peace. My Grandfather was a WWI soldier too, and I can remember seeing a picture of him in his Army uniform when I was very small.

Dogdaddy :woof:

I appreciate you posting this here. I am very glad you took time to pay homage to J. Russell Coffey. RIP!
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Two years ago one of the TV stations had a documentary on WWI that focused on the medical issues that were prominent in the war. They talked about topics like gas, facial resconstruction or prosthetics and "shell shock" They mentioned that a man had recently died (within the last ten years) in England that had been hospitalized since 1918 with shell shock. I cant even imagine someone being in hospital for 80 years....

Rest in Peace, soldier.

Yes, I have seen quite a few documentaries regarding the Great War and its after effects.

One documentary was about soldiers coming home.

A story that really is locked in my mind is the one about a soldier who couldn't stop trembling. He was British and fought near Ypres, Belgium.

Other stories were by Belgian soldiers.

Some were quite funny, other true horror.

Another was about the French who deserted en masse at Verdun because they had enough.

It was shocking to see how they got "used" to all the death and destruction.

It is amazing how many did manage to build up a normal life after getting out of that war.

Erwin

Veterans The Last Survivors of the Great War; Richard Van Emden, Steve Humphries

This is an excellent book comprised of interviews of WWI veterans who were in their 100's a the time. Great book. I loved it.

Brooke

Veterans The Last Survivors of the Great War; Richard Van Emden, Steve Humphries

This is an excellent book comprised of interviews of WWI veterans who were in their 100's a the time. Great book. I loved it.

Brooke

I went on Amazon last night and ordered a copy. I love history told by the participants. Should be a good read.