Chatting with a member of the 1251st

Great article on Tophat. They had all kinds of sports teams there including football, baseball and basketball there to help kill time. My fathers unit was being readied to be sent to the Pacific.

This is a picture of the Chapel that my fathers unit built 3rd platoon, B company 1251st Battalion Combat Engineers. Aside from wedding, funerals and christenings, this was probably the last time my father went to church.....

post-407-1198462281_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   chapel_camp_tophat.jpg (Size: 77.71 KB / Downloads: 1)

Very nice photos, the one of the Chapel is interesting. :armata_PDT_37:

I was trying to find the site where they showed the stuff that was unearthed in that area, but so far I have had no luck.

I also have been thinking about the area where your father might have been (8 kms or miles from Bastogne, coming from Antwerp).

It might have been the Longchamps - Bertogne area.

Was that in December 44 or January 45?

I still believe they were not attached to a division, but operated under Corps command or even Army command.

Be aware, I could be totally wrong here.

Eventhough I know a lot about The Battle of the Bulge, I do not know nor pretend to know all about it.

Merry Easter! :armata_PDT_25: :26_19_2:

Erwin

It would have been January of 45. It was their first assignment after arriving in France at the end of Dec 1944. You're correct that they were assigned to several armies or Corps throughtout the war. The guy that I spoke with said they even did a very brief stint with the Brittish Army. It is all a mystery. I had a laugh when I started doing this research. I am used to doing research on the US Civil War and have never had any problems finding info on any unit. What a suprise to me that it was easier finding info on things that happened 140 years than 60 years ago. Perhaps because the scope of the war was smaller and entire armies had reunions until 75 years after the war.

Erwin.... I know Europe is on a different time zone..... but Easter?

I saw that you mentioned Cigarette Camps in one of the above posts. Well we have discussed that here:

Cigarette Camps

Oh you are probably wondering why I am here Christmas morning at 8:41? Well hubby is still sleeping, so thought I'd put some time in until he gets up and we can open da presents!!! Wake up! Wake up!! :bluejumper:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

MERRY CHRISTMAS--M-1--it's 8:00 K.C. KS.TIME. 34DEG.SNOW TONITE. went you

know where. Put a wreath with a big red ribbon there. Dinner with kids today. hugs

Rocky

Maion,

I find that dropping something heavy and metal while screaming "Holy Cow there's a Moose in the yard!!!" usually gets them up. Once they've shot out of bed and their heart is pounding they'll be ready to dig into the presents.

Interesting links on the cigarette camps. I wonder if there is a comprehensive book out there on the camps and day to day life there.

I'm off to a friends for dinner and to exchange gifts. Tommorrow back to the grind. Saturday I'm having 14 people over for an evening of good friends and bad wine. I have several bottles of wines of questionable pedigree that I want to get rid of....I'm looking forward to "Tears of Gettysburg", a Cabernet from Pennsylvania (life is a Cabernet old chum). Hopefully it won't bring the guests to tears.

:clappin::clappin: Love your sense of humor. Classic!

In case your lookin' for some fine wine in the near future, I own a store with a growing wine collection. Ya, we have Boone's, but also sell Kendall Jackson and some great Australians and New Zealands. :drinkin::drinkin: Can't wait to hear about the experience! :clappin::lol::lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, thanks for the info on the cigarette camps. James Demopoulos went through Camp Lucky Strike at the end of his "tour of duty".

I have some photos of that.

Well, I actually have the original rolls of film and have to get them developed one day.

I only have a few photos at the moment, some are nice like the ones where the Statue of Liberty appears, the troop ships, etc.

Darlene, yes I know what you mean with having troubles finding information.

I encounter a lot of obstacles (1973 fire, wrong info, uncooperative clerks, etc) while researching units or particular GIs.

It is true that at some time US units were under British command. Especially right after Market Garden (September 44).

Another thing I was thinking about is that some units were rushed forward to occupy defensive positions so that the assault units could advance while trying to reduce The Bulge.

This happened from early January 45 onwards.

Erwin

"Merry Easter" is a result of my weird sense of humor.

Don't take notice, hehe. :rolleyes:

I'm reading an excellent book called "11 Days In December Christmas at the Bulge" by Stanley Weintraub. (Just thought I'd mention that since we're talking about the Bulge). Its not a heavy technical book with lots of flank movements, but really gives you an idea of what both sides felt about the battle, and also the fact it occured during Christmas. I'm passing it on to a friend's father who was at the Bulge after I'm done.

Heck if my research had gone easily, I would have never met all you folks or chatted with the guy that was in my fathers unit. It is interesting that when I think I've made gains, I find there is so much more that I dont know.

Marion, wine and DVD's at your store? This sounds like one stop shopping for a weekend. If you were down south, you would also carry bait, like the video store near my friends house in Tenn had.

Erwin, if I see a man in the yard wearing bunny ears standing in my yard anytime soon, I'll toss a blanket out to you, because you'll freeze :armata_PDT_23:

He could be a snow hare ..... :rolleyes::banghead:

Erwin