Americans for Hitler

Please don't take this as standing up for a moron. This is offered only for the sake of WWII historical accuracy. . .

The Gestapo was actually a part of the SS as of April 20, 1934. Of course the image that one conjures up of Gestapo (an abreviation of Geheime Staats Polizei - Secret State Police) is men in fedoras and trench coats. The SS was a huge organization, often times called a "state within a state." It was basically split into two large delineations: the Waffen SS and Totenkopfverbande (mostly concentration camp guards), and the Allgemeine SS which was to be everything else. Included in the Allgemeine SS was the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (the Reich Security Office - headed by such charming fellows as Reinhard Heydrich and Ernst Kaltenbrunner.) Under the RSHA were the state police departments: the Sicherheitsdienst (SD, or Security Agency), the Kriminalpolizei (Criminal Police) and the Gestapo. Members of these groups and others were all part of the Wannsee Conference (http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=3578&view=findpost&p=17877) which was chaired by Reinhard Heydrich.

Of course, its not common knowledge how deeply ingrained the SS were in Germany during the war. I suppose a few of you have heard of the Lebensborn. This was the Germanic baby producing agency for the 3rd Reich. I'm sure the allies, as they investigated Germany following the war, were just thinking to themselves, "This just keeps getting weirder and weirder!!!"

I'll have to find this quote from a book I have at home but I read that the designer who created the runic SS symbol was paid in the realm of a few dollars for his efforts.

Now does anyone think our nimrod prisoner knows any of this history? "Nah - its just some cool stuff what means I a bad-ass!"

gestapo1.jpggestaopo2.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien