More info on engineer units for you

The basic TOE unit of the engineer system is the battalion. Although engineer battalions normally have a fixed organization, they may also be tailored for specific requirements. Battalions are employed when it is desirable to assign a unit with the complete control of a task or an area. There are four basic types of engineer battalions, plus a variety of different types of separate companies:

Combat Engineer Battalion (Divisional)

Combat Engineer Battalion (Corps)

Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy)

Engineer Topographic Battalion

Separate Engineer Companies

Combat Engineer Battalion (Divisional) -- Under provisions of the Engineer Restructure Initiative (ERI), each heavy division has an Engineer Brigade with three organic divisional engineer battalions organized and equipped to provide combat engineer support. These battalions will support the ground maneuver brigades of armor and/or mechanized infantry and consist of four engineer companies. The other divisions will have only one organic engineer battalion composed of four or five engineer companies. Regardless of structure, these battalions perform the primary combat engineer missions in the division's sector and forward.

Combat Engineer Battalion (Corps) -- Corps combat engineer battalions are normally assigned to a corps' engineer brigade (i.e. V Corps in Europe contains the 130th Engineer Brigade consisting of three engineer battalions and a number of separate companies). Most corps combat engineer battalions in Europe have been converted into tracked units (i.e. squads are transported in armored personnel carriers). Somewhat larger than the divisional engineer battalions, the corps combat engineer battalions provide combat and sustainment engineering support in the corps and division sectors. They may reinforce divisional engineer battalions and execute infantry combat missions when required.

Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy) -- The combat heavy engineer battalion is normally assigned to an engineer brigade within a corps or theater army. The combat heavy engineer battalion has equipment and personnel skilled in earthmoving and construction. The battalion primarily works in rear areas on sustainment engineering tasks. However, its earthmoving capabilities may be effectively used to provide combat support in forward areas when not under direct fire (i.e. tank ditches, etc.). Missions include the construction of roads, airfields, structures and utilities for the Army and Air Force.

Engineer Topographic Battalion -- Engineer topographic battalions are assigned to the senior engineer headquarters of a theater army. These units provide topographic engineer and terrain analysis support to all units. It does not have the capability to accomplish infantry combat missions.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

It's interesting you mention Engineer Topographic Battalions, Marion. I was looking through the index to my Corps of Engineers:The war against Germany book last week, to find an item and noticed reference to Swindon. This is my nearest big town about 6 miles away and is where during WW2 the US Army had a map depot. I shall have to look into this.

Colin.

:tank:

Under provisions of the Engineer Restructure Initiative (ERI) . . .

This Restructure Initiative took place in 1992 or later. So, the description you provide may not resemble what was used during WW2. Many units were re-identified and the organization was changed; such as more mechanized brigades, for example.

Just wanted to point this out in case a reader is trying to fit this to WW2 organization.

Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching info about Earl G. Ford, Staff Sergeant 147th CE Alain147 0 2,664 02-03-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Alain147
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,694 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Info on the 1277th - John Priest Walt's Daughter 3 4,400 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM
  Looking for INFO 125th Combat Engineers of the 14th Armored Division mepaw 40 44,530 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM
  145th ECB photos and info 145ECB 2 3,851 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: 145ECB
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,513 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  Aviation Eng units built airfields in the Desert Training Center Walt's Daughter 0 2,226 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,143 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Types of Engineer Units in WWII Walt's Daughter 5 13,848 12-13-2015, 10:30 AM
  info on 1058th Engineers - Melvin E Olsen Walt's Daughter 3 4,542 12-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Last Post: parker