Nisei WWII Veterans Stamp Campaign

From my friend Gerome...

Hello My friends,

Maybe it could interested you....

Take care,

Gerome

==========

FW: Nisei WWII Veterans Stamp Campaign seeking to get French testimony and letters of support

Aloha, Le 442nd a besoin d'aide pour que le service postal americain edite un timbre honorant nos liberateurs. Allez sur stamp kit et remplissez le formulaire pour l'envoyer le plus vite possible. Pour les Maires de Bruyeres et Biffontaine et Etienne Pourcher pouvez vous envoyer un message avec entete ou une deliberation du conseil pour demander qu'un timbre honore le 442ème. Merci d'avance Pierre

===========

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 02:36:05 -0700 Dear Mr. Moulin,

First of all, thank you for all of the work you have done, and do, as a leading historian of the Nisei WWII veterans.

My name is Wayne Osako, the coordinator who is working on the grassroots campaign to honor these veterans with a U.S. commemorative stamp. I have a number of relatives and family friends who are among these veterans.

I noticed that you signed the online stamp petition. Thank you for that.

As you may know already, the Postal Service notified us at the end of September that its Stamp Committee will formally review our proposal at their next meeting sometime to be determined this fall. This Committee makes decisions for the Postmaster General on stamp subjects. We in the campaign are desperately gathering as much documentation as possible from a variety of sources to support the proposal. The documentation must be as convincing and impressive as possible.

One key part that is missing is testimony from France and other European nations affected by the Nisei's service during the war. We would like to ask your help in gathering documentation of support for this stamp from French people who would be willing to provide personalized letters of support in favor of the stamp. This could be done individually, or through a letter that a number of people sign. Petitions might also be circulated.

One of my relatives was a member of I Company, and a few years ago he travelled to Bruyeres, I believe, and saw a monument or memorial of some kind honoring the Nisei who liberated the town. His name is Art Iwasaki.

We in the campaign would like to see if there are any people in Bruyeres and other towns nearby who would want to help in this effort. Perhaps people of Biffontaine would also want to participate.

I'm sorry but I do not speak nor write in French, and I would need assistance in translating information about the campaign. [i have been trying to obtain the help from my French friend who lives in Japan, but I'm not sure when he can have it completed because he is very busy]. We are in a bit of a time crunch to gather letters and petitions of support from France due to the pending announcement of the Postal Service's meeting. But even if we could get a handful sent to the Stamp Committee during the next few weeks, it would be a tremendous help.

Even after the meeting of the Committee takes place, we can still gather such support and send it in. The Postal Service will probably continue to mull over the idea of a stamp for some time, perhaps even years. We in the campaign will not give up until the stamp is officially announced by the Postmaster General. We will work on growing the campaign through city and state resolutions, through petitions, and through letters and postcards of support from individuals and organizations. A Congressional Letter of Support will be circulated in Washington, DC, this month, seeking lawmakers who would sign in support of the stamp--we are trying to get Americans across the country to urge their representatives to sign.

Would you be interested in helping us extend the campaign to France? I'm sorry for being so forward in my request, without any introductions. But I wanted to at least ask if you would want to participate in any way.

Feel free to contact me anytime to discuss the campaign.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Wayne Osako

(714) 222-6530

Attachments: Campaign petition kit, and Monterey Park, Ca City Resolution (passed Oct. 3, 2007) in support of the campaign

NiseiWWIIStampKit.pdf

MontereyPark_CAresolution.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   NiseiWWIIStampKit.pdf (Size: 132.08 KB / Downloads: 0)
.pdf   MontereyPark_CAresolution.pdf (Size: 49.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi,

Thanks Marion to help me to communicate this message,

Gerome

My pleasure. Anytime you have something to share, please feel free to post it on our forum. Anytime at all!

:drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attention veterans who fought - Tinian or Saipan Walt's Daughter 11 18,994 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Alsace Campaign Then and now - Update paul torak 0 2,993 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Last Post: paul torak
  'Great Escape' prison camp veterans Walt's Daughter 2 4,505 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter