179th Engineer Combat Battalion

http://members.tripod.com/33rdscb/id38.htm

This is taken from the above page - The 33rd Signal Construction Battalion. The 179th is mentioned here:

------------------------------------

The first platoon of Company A moved from Tucquegnieux to Basse Yutz, a suburb of Thionville, on November 24. On December 1 the second platoon also moved to Basse Yutz, and Company A began extending the open wire construction from Thionville to Bouzonville. This lead was built through a heavily mined area. Personnel were obtained from the 88th and 179th Engineer Battalions to clear the right-of-way of mines. The second platoon was assigned to work from Bouzonville, and moved there December 8. This job was finished on December 20. Spiral-four was placed from Bouzonville to Ittersdorf, Germany.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

-o- Thank you so much for your research - I received an early Christmas present! Now I actually have some information that gives me a direction to go in - I felt as though I was running in circles before. (Obviously I was since I came up with an incorrect Division, etc.) I will be visiting my Mom for Christmas and I am so happy to have some information to share with her.

I will let you know if I am able to contact the man from the 179th Reunion Association. Have a wondeful Christmas and a happy and healthy 2006. You are FABULOUS!! :drinkin:

Barb J.

I still have more coming your way - The docs that I need to scan from my Engineer's book.

Unfortunately my sinus infection came back with a vengeance yesterday morning and I couldn't even sit up yesterday. Had the dizzies! :wacko: Soon as I'm feeling a bit better, I will get those to you.

Please look at this section too my dear. You should really contact the Army Corps of Engineers, Office of History. They have folders on most engineering units.

Reseach section LINK REVISED

I did get your email. Thank you so much. It is highly appreciated.

Please wish your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from me.

Marion J Chard

This post was out of date (link no longer viable). Please see post dated November 30, 2014, with links for the 179th's history. Thanks!

Marion J Chard

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find out where and what the 179th Engineer Combat Battalion was doing on 18 August, 1944. I am trying to do some research on PFC Anthony P. Sheridan, who was KIA that day.

Thanks,

Dwight Pruitt

Dear Dwight: (BTW, that's my husband's middle name): :pdt34:

The best way is to contact NARA in Maryland and submit a request for the information.

http://www.archives.gov/contact/index.html

You can also contact NARA in Maryland and have them pull the records for the second week of September 1944. I am providing the name of the gentleman to contact. Tell him you want the reports for the unit (give divisional and regimental info) for that time period. NARA will copy small amounts of info for you, so I am sure this will apply to you.

Mr. Timothy Nenninger

Chief, Modern Military Records

Textual Archives Services Division

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, Maryland 20740-6001

Write to him, and they in turn will send you a list of what is available for said date/dates, and how to obtain it.

If there is more material then NARA is willing to copy for you, then I can put you in touch with a private researcher who would copy said docs for you and mail them to you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Marion J Chard

Dear Dwight: (BTW, that's my husband's middle name): :pdt34:

My middle name is David, so it should be easy to guess who the President was when I was born. ;)

Thank you very much for your information and who to contact at NARA. I will fire off a letter ASAP.

Thanks again!

Hi Dwight, welcome to the forum. I`m not sure where the 179th ECR was on 18, Aug. I found out they had landed at Normandy about 5, Aug on Omaha beach then thru St Merglise (sp?) as part of the followup troops after D-Day. They were assigned to XX Corp, Third Army under Gen. Patton, that came into existance at noon 1, Aug 1944 in Normandy, XX Corp was created from part of VIII Corp, 1st Army and followup troops from England. Third Army held the front on the Loire river on 12 Aug and crossed the Seine around 25 Aug. The major action at the time was fighting around the Falaise Pocket. The 179thECR was a Corp unit so it wouldnt have been with any particular Division all the time.

Also, you can get a contact for the 179th at the Normandy Allies website:

http://72.29.90.43/~normand/modules.php?na...wpage&pid=7

Larry

I realize I'm bringing this thread back from a whie ago, but most of the links contained in replies are no longer working. I'm also looking for info about the 179th Enginer Combat Bat. – specifically, where the unit was located between 15th April and 1st of May, 1945.

I'm doing research on the military career of a relative of mine who served as a 2nd Lt. in that unit. His name was David Alan Perkins and he lived in Selinsgrove, PA after the war and worked for Penn. Power and Light. Unfortunately he passed away some years ago. His widow has found his service records and is forwarding them to me now.

I would appreciate any information on the unit anyone might have.

Many thanks!

Hi - I am looking for information about my Grandfather and his unit. The only information I have is that he was in Company C 179th Engineer Combat Battalion . He arrived in Europe 11-3-44 and returned to the US 10-9-45. His discharge papers state that he was in these battles/campaigns: Rhineland, Ardennes, Central Europe. I have not had much luck finding information about the 179th. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Hello all and thanks for providing such an excellent site.

I'm doing research on the military career of a relative of mine who served in the 179th Engineer Combat Battalion in World War II. His name was 2nd. Lt. David Allen Perkins.

I have reached his widow, who my side of the family did not know very well, and she is forwarding his military records to me. Once I receive those, I will be happy to share any info there that may help others.

So far it seems the 179th was a part of the XX Corps and the 1139th Combat Group. I have seen the unit listed as having been briefly attached to the 26th Infantry Div.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any information that the 179th was ever attached to the 69th Infantry Div. or if anyone has any information regarding the location of the 179th from mid-April, 1945 - early May, 1945.

I can be reached via email under: kevin@wilkins.de

Thanks to all und best of luck to all researchers out there!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,335 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,701 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,306 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,330 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,008 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,406 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,015 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,778 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 12,190 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,843 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels