Anecdote

I'm not exactly a new Combat engineer. Actually I did my time between 1992 and 2000 but i do have a bit of a funny story that happened on a training exercise.

It took Place in what we affectionately refered to as the Yak, Yakima, Washington. We had been up for about four days straight we where sent on a road crater mission at about three in the morning. It was the dumbest idea anyone in command had ever had. Since we were not allowed to blow a real road they had two squads pull off on the side of the road, set up about forty pounds of C-4 each and when they gave the signal let it go, two minute time fuse. I was in second squad and we went out with first squad to set our charges. It was one of those nights were everything seemed to be going wrong. First we got the go ahead, then half way there we were called back, then we were sent again, made it to the righht spot and the changed the location. We finally made it to the proper location and set our charges. Since it was rather informal we conducted our selves rather informal. Instead of all the normal precautions we just dropped the ramp of our APC, set the charge down and waited. We attempted to contact the LT for the go ahead several times but couldn't get through. We waited and waited then suddenly first squad about twenty feet off our rear loads up in to their APC and leaves. It didn't dawn on us they wouldn't leave without lighting their fuse. Not until abour a minute and a half later when our squad leader gets this weird look on his face and walks over to where they dropped their charge. I have never seen anybody run that fast. He came hauling back to our track screaming the entire time to pull the fuse and load up. I was the driver and had pretty much figured out the problem. As soon as the ramp was off the ground about an inch I dropped it in gear and laid on the gas raising the ramp as I drove. I was looking over my shoulder to see when the ramp was up when the first charge blew. It was the prettiest fire ball I had ever seen and due to the course we had to take it wasn't more then thirty feet off our tail. Everyone in he track saw it and one new guy almost wet himself. I was pelted in the helmet by several peices of dirt and rock. When we got down the road a bit more the second charge went. The First Squad showed up. They had made it to the minimum safe distance before they realized we were not following them. They kept waiting for us to show up and had started to get worried. When the first charge blew they had seen our outline in the blast and panicked starting back for us. All in all in was a pretty amusing evening. I ronically there was a comet in the sky that everyone kept saying was bad luck. I Think it was good luck that night.

LC, first thanks for joining our forum. So nice to see a new face.

I just loved the story you contributed. Got some great laughs :lol: I could just picture the whole thing going down and the looks on all the faces of 2nd Squad. Oh s--t! I agree with you, you had very GOOD LUCK that night, not BAD!

Can't wait to hear more adventures of LC and buddies.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

What a great story, i hope you're next post is as good. :)

Hey L C,

My outfit has had it's share of mixups and I guess all of us could relate to that.

I remember when we were up in the Inje Pass, winter of 1951-52 in Korea was a cold winter.

We slept in squad tents with 2 pot belly stoves that were supposed to keep us warm. We had sleeping bags and one night, we heard the machine gun, one of two that we used as guard posts, go off in a alert burst.

The guys in my tent, including me, just slid down further in our sleeping bags.

It finally dawned on us that that wasn't what we were supposed to do. Needless to say, we got into our boots, grabbed our weapons and ran to our "holes".

The melting snow had set off one of our trip flares and the guard let go with his 30 cal MG.

Looking back on it, I can laugh, but believe me, the first time really scares the hell out of you. Don't get me wrong, the other times did too! ha ha

We had our share of mix ups too.

Korea Jack

post-9-1127061610.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Our_tents_at_the_Inje_Pass_1951_f.jpg.JPG (Size: 6.91 KB / Downloads: 0)

L C,

Forgot where the pix of our tents in the snow we got Christmas day '51, and have found it.

That winter was rough.

Korea Jack

post-9-1127064489_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   _rd_Platoon_camp_at_Inje_Pass_winter_of_1951_52_f.jpg.JPG (Size: 23.69 KB / Downloads: 0)