Types of Engineer Units in WWII

Here is a list that I compiled of the different types of engineer units used in the war

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/doc...gineerUnits.htm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion,

Great info! That table is full of useful info. Especially good to know the differences in size and function of the Map Depot and the Photomapping units.

I recently found a unit that was a QM General Service that was set up to support a large area with general things such as washing clothes and such. I have always wondered about those other rear echelon troops.

Also, there were Railway Engineers. Was that part of Engineers or QM? I guess they operated the rail network and they were "engineers" as the term applies to trains. But what kind of unit were they?

Question: You have "Light Ponton Company" . Could that be Light Pontoon Company??

Steve :armata_PDT_37:

Steve: First off thanks for the appreciation. You will have to thank the Army Engineer Office of History for their help in this matter. :armata_PDT_37:

That IS ponton. Actually our present day pronunciation and spelling is a bastardization of the word. If you talk to the REAL WWII engineers, they will be the first to correct you; it's actually pon-ton!

I remember talking to the "men" early on and starting talking about the bridges. No, no they said, if you are to be our historian, there is one thing you need to correct immediately. Ah, tis all a learning experience. Class dismissed. :pdt34::pdt::pdt:

Marion J Chard

Hi Marion,

Note that "Ponton" is a french word referring to any structure such as a floating bridge or a dock.

I have two jpegs of the 286th Engineer Bn crosssing into Germany in 1944, after they built a "ponton" bridge across the river. One of the pics is of my father, major Robert Leslie Spence, and the others are unidentified..

They were on the march all the way from the Normandy beach head.

I am not sure how to post them to your websiite, any advice will be appreciated.

thanks,

michael spence

Hi:

Will get back with you this weekend and will be happy to help. I'm outta here for tonight. Happy New YEAR!

Marion J Chard

Also, you can look up unit insignia here (dui's) for engineer units

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thieves steal money from a WWII engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,372 07-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Aviation Eng units built airfields in the Desert Training Center Walt's Daughter 0 2,220 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM
  Monument pays tribute to role of engineer battalion in WWII Rhine crossing CaptO 1 3,061 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM
  Miscellaneous info on various engineer units Walt's Daughter 2 3,991 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM
  Forestry Units in Europe Walt's Daughter 9 10,454 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Number of engineer combat bns in WWII Walt's Daughter 0 2,531 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
  Big Request - info on Bill Williams - WWII engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,571 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
  Books regarding Engineer units. Big Pete 5 7,172 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Monuments to Engineer units. Big Pete 5 7,063 06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Types of Engineer units Walt's Daughter 0 2,454 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM