343rd Engineer General Service Regiment

Robert N. Greene Jr. ’35, retired civil engineer at The Travelers, and WWII 343rd Army Corps of Engineers veteran; July 28, 2000.

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/NewsComm/Magazine/...1/memoriam.html

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As you've noticed, I am also printing material about individual members of the unit too, since I am hoping that we can piece together bits of info to fill out the history that is coming to light. Also, someone may see this post or recognize a name. You never know what happens on the Internet.

-------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Clarke Irvine

Born 3 October 1925 - Died 14 January 1962

Married Nancy Agnes Barnett 26 October 1946

Born 9 July 1926 - (Present)

Thomas Clarke Irvine

10th Generation Upham and Richardson

(5th Irvine Generation in America)

TOM - only child of Charlotte Hopkins and Adrian Irvine, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, 3 Oct., 1925, in old Maternity Hospital on Cedar Ave., ushered into this world by Dr. Floyd Mowry. Awaiting his arrival his parents had selected the name of John Clarke, but a last minute change to Thomas seemed the more euphonious - not because of any knowledge or wish to perpetuate the given name of distant progenitors. The name ‘Clarke’ was chosen because of the ‘handed down’ belief that somewhere buried in the past there existed a family relationship to the famous-in-history George Rogers Clark - he of the daring and rugged explorations thru the Northwest Territory known as the Lewis-Clark Expedition. During this search no such relationship has come to light - and it was the younger brother, William, who explored with Lewis.

Just under 5 years the family moved to Hubbard, Ohio, 70 miles southeast of Cleveland. Without exerting himself Tom was but a fair student, possessed of scant yen for competitive sports. Graduated from Hubbard High 1943. During the Senior year Tom had formed an attachment to a little girl - then in her Junior year - which was to blossom into the full stature of a soul mating - Nancy was to become his partner and loving wife, the mother of his only son.

For an adolescent Tom had traveled rather extensively. Several trips had been made to Muncie, Ind., Terre Haute, Mobile - to visit his grandparents, to Hammond, Ind., Atlanta, Claxton, Ga., and to Waltham, Mass., to visit his many cousins. From the latter base he reversed the ground of much historic interest in early Colonial times - and the bailiwick of his Richardson forebears, and on to Portland, Me., the scenes of his Upham ancestors. In the next few years, from forces beyond his control, these travels were to be dwarfed by an extensive military service itinerary - his posterity can consider itself fortunate in possessing the details to follow.

Since World War II had been in progress since 8 Dec., 1941 - Tom had but a scant 4 months after high school graduation before being eligible for the Draft. Display of a budding interest in photography prompted him to enroll in the Deforest Radio School of Chicago which offered a combined training course in photography and radio - to perhaps fit himself for some measure of specialized assignment. This interest was fanned into fruition as a somewhat disguised manner of introducing him to life away from home surroundings - as preparation for whatever might be in store. Ten weeks was supposed to give a ground working knowledge in radionics, and would provide him with a Federal Communications License, 2nd Class. (It was not until months later, when he was overseas, that the reason became known for his reluctance to list this radio course as one of his accomplishments when registering for the Draft. He had ducked the final examinations - no license was forthcoming! His prime interest was photography - the Prospectus and Representative confirmed the fact. Having avoided physics in high school - having no interest in electricity - it was too big a bite to learn its general laws in addition to their peculiar application to radio - especially for one seeing his prime interest being slighted.)

Inducted into Service 20 Dec., 1943, at Fort Hayes, Columbus, Ohio he remembered manyndistasteful experiences. Confusion of poorly fitting uniforms, the dirt, rain, cold, bossiness of noncoms, Christmas Day exercises of standing in the rain for 2 hours, dismissal, wet clothing, homesick, his happy remembrance that the Mulletts were living in Columbus, calling there and being urged to have a bath and dry his clothes and partake of their dinner, the ‘screening process’ - whereat 3 tires were made to convince him he should try for aviation (jokingly reported that he stuck to saying" I would like to fly if I could keep one foot on the ground"), final assignment to Basic Training at Fort Benning, Ga., to become a part of H. & S. Co., 1255th Combat Engineers and shipped to Columbia, S. C. for more specific training. 10th Oct., 1944 at Camp Kilmer, N.J.; embarked on ‘Dominion Monarch’ (later sunk in English Channel) for European Service on 23 Oct., ‘44.

Crowding and disaster drills broke the monotony of the crossing to Southern England where, near Bridgetown, they trained in building ‘Bailey’ bridges.

In a final burst of energy the Germans had burst thru the American Lines to produce what history knows as ‘The Battle of the Bulge’ - extra troops were urgently needed - the Engineers were hastily converted into a fighting unit from 31 Dec. to 7 Jan. formed a part of the 333rd Eng. SS Regiment at Brix, Normandy, France. But let him tell it :-

"Lived in old German Barracks, traded cigarettes for dicer and beer. A false alarm sent them hunting German Para-troopers on Sunday.

"Countances, Normandy - 7-11 Jan ‘45 - as 156th Inf. Reg. lived in bombed out hospital with radio section, swiped canned cheese, marmalade, and bread from kitchen for evening feast.

"St. Mare d’Eglise, ‘Omaha Beach’, 11-15 Jan. 1st Continental Edition of ‘Stars and Stripes’ printed here D day plus 3. Lived in wooden barracks with radio section. Ankle-deep mud. Winterized vehicles. Nude picture on chateau walls. Very cold but not freezing. Pup tents in back for P.W.s.

"Across France to Rambouillet 16th Jan. Lived in French Military School, showered in Q.M.ap’t. Heavy snow, very cold. Changed tire in my room.

"Bech, Luxembourg - 18 Jan to 3 Feb., in 87th and 76th Inf. Div. 3rd Army. Lived in good farmhouse (Bn Hdqrs). Slept in radio workshop on table and sink. One shower. Found carbine, much snow, drove very much.

"Wilwerlitz, Lux., 4-5 Feb. 6th Cavalry Gp. Lived in farmhouse, bunked in milk shed. Radio section swiped M-I’s and B.A.R. from 18th Airborne Engs. Fired mine on hill. Moved across town next day. Poland swiped 2 M-I’s and German rifle. Changed tire before we moved.

"Goeblesmuhle, Lux., 507 Feb. Town deep in valley. Lived in C.P. (RR station). Pistol practice. Drove blackout to Gp Hq nightly, 7 miles, 3 hrs., bad road. Tried lights once, shrapnel came in close, dowsed lighrs. Many dead animals, knocked out Tiger Tank on road out of valley. At Brandenburg tank rolled down a 200 yd. slope and burned. Many prisoners taken there. Kraut cemetery here and at Brandenburg.

"Tandel, Lux., 7-15 Feb. Lived in farmhouse, slept in small stone floored room with Long. Pistol practice. Vito found pistol at front (1st). With burp gun drove to Bradenburg nightly, not too bad. Had enough sleep. Flat tire morning of the battle on way to vianden. Capt. Jordan went with Col. Stapler, I returned and repaired tire. Was just putting it back on when the first casualties came in (8:30). Hickerson’s face all black, burned by such mine blast. Smith just a lump in back end of jeep - one leg blown off, lost other when he was lifted from the jeep (died on way to hospital). Bearley, lying across back of 2nd jeep, leg hanging over side, foot missing at ankle (lost other foot at hospital). I went to front at 1 PM with Capt. Jordan. Many dead animals, no civilians, 3 dead Krauts at turn in road, one dead GI (Griffen, Co. A). Was I scared! Hit the ground several times, nothing too close. Had flat at front and fixed it there (Capt. in fox hole). WOW!

"Aachen, Germ. 15-28 Feb., in 1105th Eng. C Gp of First Army. Beautiful day. Everybody happy. Duren fell 25th Feb. Lived in large house at outskirts of town, roomed with Plovsky. Went on pass to Liege, Belgium, had wonderful bath. Drove to 1105th Gp Hq at Korneli Munster daily, blackout halfway. Krieger looted large reflex camera. Left extra M-I in room when we moved.

"Eschweiller, Germ., 28 Feb-5 March. Lived with Long in large farm house, small room on 4th floor. 2 showers while there. with Moore worked on Opel convertible, never fixed it though. Kraut plane lying in pieces in cabbage field, 2 dead Krauts. What an odor! Knocked out tank at Elsdort, 2 miles away. Many Buzz Bombs went over, one exploding in a field 1/2 mile down the road. American plane crashed in woods, pilot safe. Co. A was in Bergheim. Gp Hq was in Durendrove there daily. S/Sgt. Short made 2nd Lt.

Horrem, Germ., 20-28 Mch. Lived with Long in cellar of good house. Found dark room and enlarger. Drove 10 miles to Gp Hq daily. Bridge job at Modrath. Jordan made Major.

"Bonn, Germ., 28 Mch-1 Apr. Lived in Professor’s large house on the Rhine. Good room, alone. Became Bn photographer. Searched all houses in the block, found trunk full of tablecloths which I tore into quarters for towels for darkroom. Gatres found photo shop - got paper, chemicals, timer, trays, ferrotype fins, films, and plates. wonderful! Finding a wine cellar we all celebrated.

Flammersfeld, Germ., 1-3 Apr. Crossed Rhine near KoenigsWinter. C.P. in Nazi office, with Long lived next door. Took my 1st successful pictures there, of C. P.

"Dillenberg, Germ., 3-14 Apr., 18th Airborne Corps. 4th April Gotha was captured. Given camera. Lived on 3rd floor in C.P. with Long. Very nice house belonged to Nazi Dr. Blitz. First darkroom in bathroom. Liberated enlarging lens and trays there, print dryer from Seigen. (Modesty forbids - Lt. Col. John G. Stapler’s Farewell Report says : "Battalion converted to Infantry duty, replacing an almost decimated 4th Infantry Div. who, a few days before, had failed an attempt to take Seigen. The converted an green troops advanced and took the town despite heavy casualties and the stiff resistance of a reinforced German Company".)

"Buschutten, Germ., 14-20 Apr. C.P. in mansion of Pres of Achenbach & Sohns Factory. Large washroom was bunk and darkroom. Scrounged thru factory, found lens (f. 8 30 cm C.Z. Tessar - worth $200). Ed Stone blew safe - got 9x12 cm Linhof Standard, f. 3 1/2 C.Z. Tessar, Compur. Wilson made Capt. Had battle decorations awarded on parade.

"Rottenberg, Germ., 20-21 Apr. Lived in Nazi office, motor pool in field. Went to Marburg on sign-posting trip with Capt. Wilson, Cooper, Garton.

"Gotha, Germ., 21 Apr.-15 June. 1110th Gp in 9th Army, 3 weeks after capture. Lived in C.P. in darkroom, a large kitchen. Made hundreds of pictures of Vainden briege. Several trips with Mac and Garton to take Pix. To Erfurt police station with Capt. Wilson and Lt. (Beaver) Taylor to get 6-8 good cameras, on to Weimer & Jena same day to get medical supplies for Bn school. 3 more trips 2 day bivouac near Zella Mahlis and Neiningen, Thuringia. S/Sgt Hampton made 2nd Lt. Motor pool in factory. VE Day was 8 May, ‘45. (From Lt. Col. Stapler - "in 8 days completed a 310 ft. bridge on Autobahn, largest by 1st Army Engineers>")

"Ober Ranstadt, Germ., -17 June - 1 July. Lived in good house, darkroom across the street in C.O.’s cellar. To Geissen for a week of wurvey with S-2. Lived with S-2. Lived with FA Outfit, darkroom in cellar of kasserne. H & S abd Co. A had a gun fight with Q.M. Outfit. Three 1255th men shot, 3 negroes shot. We moved next day. B Co. and P.W. cages at Darmstadt.

"Treysa, Germ., 1-31 July. Lived in hospital, darkroom in ‘Ladies Room’. Lots of recon. Went to Aix les Bains, France (as rest area prior to re-assignment to Far East Unit). Drove to Kassel on the way, was P-38 crash, pilot was mangled.

"Kassel-Brasselsberg, Germ., 31 July-7Sept. 1255th de-activated. Lived in C.P. darkroom on 2nd floor. lots of recon. Several pix taken on trips to Hercules and around Kassel. Motor pool moved to kaserne. Many pix of hospital.

"Left for London 5th Sept. - returned 25th Oct." (Let’s reconstruct the interval. Much transpired. Directives had been issued to each over-seas unit to select a representative from their photographic corp and send him to a special school in London. It was Tom’s good fortune to be that selectee and he commenced his trek across troubled Germany, Luxembourg, and France and the Channel - optimistically toting his 2 duffle bags of clothing and ‘liberated’ treasures. Trains were irregular, crowded, and slow - partway he just "Grabbed a hold and held on". The Channel craft were as inhospitable but he arrived in London after 8 days of fatigue, hunger, thirst, and constipation - registered at the school - and was surprised to be informed that the directive to the school from Washington was to de-activate itself, disperse its personnel. But he felt ill, or was so dog-tired this discouragement sickened him. Checked his bags and reported to the hospital - was running a fever and was hospitalized at once.

The next 3-4 weeks were passed in recovery from what was officially diagnosed as ‘mononucleosis’ - a relatively harmless the prolonged portrayal of fever, malaise, and many small ‘kernals’ distributed about the neck and armpits. It is to be wondered if this was the real trouble for he reports that his treatment consisted of temperature taking once or twice daily, plus what seemed to him as an abnormal interest on the part of the hospital personnel, during rounds, which centered around what could be heard over his heart area. In turn each would listen, then in subdued tones converse tensely, nod heads, and depart for the next bed. The sole specific instruction he recalled receiving was from a nurse. After a week he felt well enough to move about so this guardian angel several times warned him with "If you don’t stay in that bed I’m going to break your leg.".

Once attending doctor quizzed him thoroughly on previous illnesses and confessed he had a serious murmur in his heart. This finding, with the low grade fever, lent suspicion to the probability that his real difficulty was a smoldering low-grade endocardities. Considering the length of his service the probabilities were that he would be invalided Stateside. But - his fever subsiding he was transferred to another hospital for classification - was unceremoniously ordered to return to his Unit.

An interesting note is that during his 12th year Tom was a victim of ‘th e4th Exanthem’ or Duke’s Disease (sometimes diagnosed as ‘mild scarlet fever’ - the rash is sukilar the only of 24-36 jrs. instead of 4 days - an accompanying tong involvement is absent), complicated by tonsillitis. A slight murmur at the mitral area was found 3 months later, was followed some 6 months, made no progress and was unaccompanied by other symptoms - and was forgotten. At Draft screening examination time Dr. Paul Williams called the murmur to my attention - it seemed inoculously feeble - it was listed among findings and he was passed along to the final examination center in Cleveland. Passed there, again at Ft. Hays, at Ft. Benning, at Ft. Gaines, at Camp Kilmer. Such examinations are for the purpose of excluding from a Service Unit anyone who might handicap that Unit because of some physical defect that might render that individual prone to replacement after having been trained as a ‘cog in the Unit’.

Back to London with Tom. A chance acquaintance of the day of his arrival at teh school searched him out - went for the ‘checked’ dufflebags - (was a ‘24 hr. depot’ and the bags had been forwarded to Liverpool) - (and months after his discharge arrived in Hubbard containing a couple pari of socks, shorts, undershirt, work belt without buckle, and 4-5 Iron Crosses - his prized pictures of his itinerary about, Germany, his ‘liberated’ lenses, cameras, Luger - all had been appropriated along the way) - and informed him the school had closed its doors. All of which was a scant interest to incarcerated Tom, but after a month he was discharged, loafed about London, made a ‘stowaway hop to Paris’ and somehow got back to Kassel to traded cigarettes. Hid among his buddies until his ‘educational leave expired’.)

"Kassel, Germ., 26 Oct-10 Nov. Lived with cadre of 1255th at firehouse. 138th Engres. were in Brasselberg. No work, drove for pleasure. Saw Louis Owen.

"Kassel-Brasselberg, Germ., 11 Nov-1 March 1946. H & S Co. 343rd Engr GS Regt. moved to Kassel from Mainz-Kassel. Was non-com., Co. Clerk, M/R clerk, mail clerk. Conut call at hospital every morning. 115th Med. N.C.O. club.

"Hof Geismar, Germ., 1-6 March. Lived in kaserne with McClymonds, Kreiger, and Jarvi. Red Cross was only place to go.

"Bremerhofen, Germ., 9-11 Mch. Embarkation depot.

"Eufala Victory - nice vouage but a slow but. 12-23 Mch.

"Camp Kilmer, N.J. 24-26 Mc.

"Camp Atterbury, Ind. 26-28 Mch. Examining physician advised hospitalization for disability evaluation of heart condition. Anxious to be home - "I talked him out of it". Discharged 1430, 28 March, 1946."

After 27 months and 8 days of service - in training and functioning in a combat engineering unit, as radio communications man and during advances assigned to reconnaissance to scour the ‘in between’ areas of mechanized advances and as dispatch bearer, Tom looked back on much straining excitement and boredom. A month of dawdling at home was followed by employment as teller for Hubbard Banking Co. - after declining to accompany his parents on a proposed trailer trip to the Far West. Tom felt he had traveled enough - and a paying job would hasten fulfillment of his burning ambition to be married.

Marion J Chard

May have stumbled onto something here. Check out this link:

http://library.uta.edu/Main/findingAidsDet...R406_Series%207

From UTA Libraries Online

This is a collection called the Fort Worth Star- Telegram Collection. They have boxed reference material and one of the boxes contains info on the 343rd.

Marion J Chard

Here's some information that I gathered into a PDF file that concerns this unit. The data was taken from the Corps Of Engineers book - The War Against Germany.

343rdGenServ.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   343rdGenServ.pdf (Size: 1.57 MB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

I have merged the posts from Eagle and from Tony, since they are both related. This will make it easier for anyone researching the 343rd Engineers.

I received a letter from a member of the 343rd yesterday. His name is Armonde Casagrande. Isn't this great?

I would like to inform who ever wants information about the 343rd GS Engineer Regiment,WWll, That I, being a member of the 343rd from it's inception, to the very end, maybe able to help out. To begin with the 343rd was commanded by Col Richard B Dunbar. Contact me....AJC

I wrote back and placed in him in direct contact with the two gentleman above. I hope it will be a happy get-together. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome. Love when things like this occur! :pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Got another letter from Armonde today.

Glad to hear from you, For starters, we arrived Nettlebed, Eng., about July 15, l942. We were attached to the Bristish army and thereby under their command, which meant that they also had to feed us. ( mutton and liver was the main staple ) which caused many of us to head for Henley, a few miles away for fish and chips. I have the dates on which we enter the different places etc., also a list of over eight hundred names and adresses ( for that time ) For instance, Harry J Drake. RD 1, St Ignatious, Montana . All members of the 343rd. I served in the HQS Company as the Regimental Supply Clerk. I could go on and on. Most all that I did correspond with, are now gone. There is only one that I keep in touch with now. Sgt Harlan Geise. He was the Regimental Surveyor. In fact, just got a letter from him yesterday. Hey, keep in touch. Incidently, the outfit was know as "The Bridge Builders"................Armonde

Marion J Chard

Armonde now has his own page: :drinkin:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/Arm...eCasagrande.htm

Marion J Chard

Received this during the holidays! :pdt34::pdt34:

My father was Tech Sergeant Herschel Buck. I was watching the history channel today and they had on he crossing of the Rhine river. I dug out my dad's Bronze Star and was reading a news clipping that my mother had enclosed with it. It said my Dad operated a 5 ton Northwestern pile driver and drove bridge pilings and helped construct the first fixed bridge across the Rhine ten days ahead of time. That was from March 29, 1945 to April 8, 1945. He enlisted April 16, 1942 went overseas July 1, 1942 and served in England, Africa, Sicily, Germany, and France. I wish I knew more but he never talked much and he passed in 1988. I found your site while doing a quick search and thought I would pass this along. I don't know if anyone who served with my Dad's regiment is still around. If you know of anyone please pass this on.

Sincerely,

Francis Buck

Marion J Chard

Good morning,

You don't know how excited I was to find my Dad's name in Mr. CasaGrande's first post.

I have the dates on which we entered the different places etc., also a list of over eight hundred names and addresses ( for that time ). For instance, Harry J Drake - RD 1, St Ignatius, Montana. All members of the 343rd.

I went searching for 343rd Engineers topics a little over a year ago, and could find very little. This time when I did a Google search I found a GOLD MINE. :clappin:

The main reason for my search is to try to obtain documentation of an incident where Dad's convoy and his vehicle were hit during the offensive into Messina. B Company, or at least some of them, had been detailed to deliver equipment and supplies to British troops near Messina. Dad's convoy was the last one and his was one of the last vehicles. It appears that Dad and one other person were the only ones to survive the hit. Dad was unconscious, but no obvious wounds. The injuries were more to hearing, back, and concussion. He was evacuated to a British Field Hospital, where he was left to be treated after the more seriously wounded. A British patrol cycle came by and said his unit was being moved. Dad hopped on the cycle and went back to his unit. Mind you he was still working on "Autopilot." You know soldier's!! Even if they are missing a limb, they want to get back with their "family." Dad states that it was about 10 days that he really didn't know where he was, or who he was. When he regained awareness, he was sitting in a tank engine (I think) cleaning the injectors. Dad has suffered from PTSD "forever" and there isn't a week that he doesn't wake up with nightmares at least a couple of times.

There are several names that Dad mentions, but at the moment the only one I can remember is last name of Lively, first name maybe begins with an A.

Dad now lives in Kennewick, WA, and with the help of my borther and myself is still able to live at home. He lost his lifelong partner last July 3 days short of their 60th wedding anniversary. It was a great blow to all of us.

I am lucky to have originals of several of the commanding officers letters, troop orders, etc.. I would be happy to share these with anyone if they are interested. I could provide them as PDF documents if wanted.

Thank you so much for this wonderful historical site.

Take care, have a great day, and GWG,

Ardis Kenney (Drake)

Ardis:

You have probably already read my PM to you, but of course I wanted to respond here too! I share your excitement, believe me! :blob3: :blob3:

Armonde will be so excited and so pleased to hear from you. I am delighted that you were able to find our site. I look forward to seeing ALL your documents and photos and to hear more about your dear father.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mom just passed away last year too. :heartpump:

Warmest regards,

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  photo of 343rd bridge over Durance River Walt's Daughter 11 11,056 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,376 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,166 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 58,254 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,038 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,101 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Military Railway Service angatti 6 8,178 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 4,970 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,340 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,593 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM